fbpx

5 Best Baits For Carp Fishing

Popularly known as golden fishbone, carp have become an appreciated game for many anglers in recent years. The availability of carp all year round makes carp fishing very interesting.

The carp bait is an essential element of carp fishing, and as such, it is important to use the best baits at all times.

There are a lot of carp baits in existence, and picking the right one might be a bit difficult, especially for new carp anglers. This is why we have put together a list of five of the best bait for carp fishing

best bait for carp fishing
Source: Canva Pro

Best Baits For Carp Fishing

Carp feed on a wide range of food, as they are known to have a diverse diet.

Some of the natural food sources that carp eat are crustaceans, mollusks, insects, worms and maggots, bloodworms, as well as aquatic vegetation like plant matter.

Due to the diversity in the diet of carp, it is important that you pick a bait that will trigger the senses of the carp and attract them. These are five of the most suitable baits for catching carp. 

1. Corn

Corn is one of the most superb baits for catching carp and is trusted by a lot of anglers. Corn can be used in practically any form, be it sweet corn, whole kernel or even canned corn.

You can even use artificial corn bait for multiple sessions if you are looking to save cost.

The efficiency of corn makes it a staple in the tackle box of carp anglers. Corn has a couple of benefits that make it the best bait for carp fishing. 

One of the main benefits of corn is its nutritional value. Corn is a carp bait that is very high in nutrients, with a single grain having 80% carbohydrates and the other 20% made of proteins and fibre.

The importance of these nutrients is that it provides the fish with energy and can be easily digested as well.

Corn is a great winter carp fishing, as the fish require immediate energy during this period. The yellow color of corn provides the needed visibility in the water.

Corn can be used with a hair rig, and is great for lake fishing.

The accessibility of corn is another factor that makes it top choice, as you can readily get it in a grocery store. Corn is also effective in catching other fish. You can cast artificial corn directly, or use it alongside mixed bait.

2. Bread 

Bread is another effective bait that will help you catch carp. Just like corn, bread is a cheap and accessible option.

White bread is a reliable option for carp fishing in spring. This is because it is a light meal that can be cast on shallow areas of lakes.

Bread is rich in nutrients, as it is made up of 75% carbohydrate, with fats, fibre and protein, making up the remaining 25%. This ensures that it is easily digestible for the carp while giving them energy. T

he trick to using bread as a carp bait, is rolling it up and attaching it to your hook bait. Bread is best used for a slow action presentation, as it can float underwater. 

3. Tiger Nuts

Do not be confused by the name, tiger nuts are actually tubers just like yams or potatoes. Although they are not as common as bread or corn, tiger nuts can still be acquired with relative ease.

Tiger nuts have some essential qualities that make them good bait for carp. One of these qualities is their texture.

Tiger nuts have a firm texture that enable them to stay securely on the hook and fishing line for a long period. Tiger nuts are reliable for long fishing sessions, as they stay longer than most carp baits.

This makes it suitable for anglers to fish for long hours. Tiger nuts are quite nutritious, being made up of 50% fats, 40% carbohydrates, and 10% of fibre and proteins.

Their nutritional value makes them an alternative for carp that do not eat bread or corn.

4. Boilies

Boilies belong to a class of carp bait which is known as mixed bait. Boilies can be used for many species.

Mixed bait is typically more enhanced than regular bait and it can be a great food source for carp. Boilies are bait that are high in nutrients. They also have additives that give them an attractive scent.

Boilies are made of flour, eggs and additives that give the bait an attractive scent.

When making boilies, the ingredients are mixed into a paste, before being rolled into a ball-like shape after which it is boiled. It is then left to harden for 24 hours, after which they are efficient as hook baits.

Boilies are usually nutritious, containing a high volume of fats and proteins. The hardened form of this bait makes it last longer for angling as it does not dissolve inside water.

Boilies is a popular choice among anglers.

5. Fishing Dough

Fishing dough is quite different from all the other baits on the list, in the sense that it offers flexibility. Dough for carp fishing is made using different corns with additives added, to give it a nice scent.

To use dough as your carp bait, all you need to do is to press some on your hook. The flexibility of dough enables you to fish with different sizes of bait. It is also compatible with fishing lines and hooks of different weights.

While you can buy fishing dough at a store, you can also decide to make it on your own. Other baits for anglers include pop-ups, hot dogs and cherry tomatoes.

How to Choose The Best Carp Bait

There are a couple of factors to consider when choosing baits for your carp fishing. One of these factors is the season. You want to make sure that you stimulate the senses of the carp to notice your bait.

As such, make sure to use baits that are suitable for different seasons. For summer and the warmer months, dark-colored baits are best as they are more visible then.

For winter and the cold months, it is best to use bright colored baits for better visibility. 

While some carp hunt with their sight, other species rely on their sense of smell as well. As such, you should consider choosing baits with an attractive scent.

Another fact to consider is the size of the carp that is being fished. For small carp, it is best to use smaller bait, while bigger carp can be fished using big baits.

In order to get the best out of your carp bait, consider your timing. During spring, the best time to fish is after midday. In the summer months, it is best to fish for carp in the early morning and late evening.

During the autumn, you are likely to catch carp, when you fish during the period between mid-morning and early evening. Early winter is the best time to go fishing for carp in winter. 

Conclusion 

Bait for carp fishing can change frequently, due to the weather, location, and rigging style. It is however important that you find what works best for you.

The list of baits above includes corn, boilies, fishing dough, bread and tiger nuts is sure to serve you well. Ensure to use these baits with the right equipment for the best fishing experience.


The Anglers Behind This Article:

Daniel O’Neill
Fishing Expert

Johanes Godoy
Fishing Editor

Jon Stenstrom
Founder & Angler

Did this article help you? Yes No
Daniel O’Neill
Fishing Expert
Daniel specializes in fly, predator, and saltwater angling. He has practiced angling from a young age, quickly developing his knowledge of fishing fundamentals. His angling journey began in Ireland, primarily targeting rainbow trout on a fly rod. His passion for angling grew extensively as he ventured into other forms of fishing. He primarily targets freshwater and saltwater destinations in Ireland and the UK. His favorite catch to date was a 7lb / 3.6KG thick-lipped mullet from the Northern Irish coast—a prized fish to target on a fly rod. He is now the owner of DON Angling, a business that intends to inform and educate anglers on the best techniques, methods, and etiquette available.
× How can we improve it?
× Thanks for your feedback!

We're always looking to improve our articles to help you become an even better fisherman.

While you're here, why not follow us on Facebook and YouTube? Facebook YouTube
Articles » Gear Reviews » Natural Bait, Hooks, and Terminal Tackle » 5 Best Baits For Carp Fishing