Finding the best and suitable fishing rod and reel combo can improve your fishing experience by a lot.
If you are looking for the perfect baitcaster combo, this is the article for you.
There are a lot of these in the market, making it more difficult to choose one. With this in mind, we’ve rounded up the best baitcaster combo to help you choose the right one for you.
Best Baitcaster Combo
1. Shimano SLX150/SLXCX610MH SLX Casting Combo
Best Overall Baitcaster Combo
- Multitude of potential combinations to cover a diverse range of techniques
- Quality components for years of dependable performance
- Comfortable high-density EVA grips that are paired with the sleek cosmetics of SLX
- Body of the SLX was made of highly rigid metals that produces a solid casting distance
With its tournament-level performance, the Shimano SLX150 is the best overall baitcaster combos on this list. A little inexpensive, but it does not disappoint.
It offers a multitude of potential combinations for covering a diverse range of fishing techniques. Also, it can be cast in left and right, with optimal strength, sensitivity, and action blend.
2. Lew’s Mach 1 Speed Spool Baitcast Combo
Best Game Fishing Baitcaster Combo
- Lew's Mach 1 left-hand retrieve speed spool combo: Baitcast...
- Zero reverse: Reel features premium 8 bearing system with...
- Speed gears: Baitcasting reel features high strength solid...
- Left-hand retrieve speed spool combo features a 1-piece of lightweight SLP graphite frame
- Comes with a reel that features a premium eight bearing system that has zero reverse
- Baitcasting reel featuring a high strength solid brass Speed Gears
- Multi-setting brake that is an externally adjustable dual cast control system
The Lew’s baitcaster combos are perfect for game fishing and a wide range of techniques. It has an ultra-low profile for easy retrieval.
Also, it has an external adjusted magnetic control system for casting different lures and fishing conditions. Cheaper than the Shimano, it is made of high-quality metal materials.
3. Shakespeare Alpha Fishing Rod and Bait Cast Reel Combo
Best Affordable Baitcaster Combo
- Low profile fishing rod and bait cast reel combo offers...
- Lightweight graphite reel comes pre spooled with 8 pound...
- Lightweight EVA grips provide comfort during lengthy fishing...
- Low profile fishing rod and baitcasting reel combo that offers excellent performance
- Made of lightweight graphite reel that comes pre-spooled with an 8-pound line
- Lightweight EVA grips that provide comfort during long fishing outings
- Tubular glass blank construction that made a responsive feel and rugged durability
The Shakespeare Alpha Baitcaster combo is the most affordable on this list. A very lightweight rod, portable, it has good action and power because of its middle-of-the-line rod.
Suitable for small fishing applications. If you’re going to catch a bigger fish, then this is not for you.
4. Shakespeare Big Game Baitcasting Combo
Best Saltwater Fishing Baitcaster Combo
- An 18-pound baitcasting combo for max drag
- It has graphite side plates and a reel body with an aluminum handle
- Made of stainless steel guides for corrosion-resistant bearing
- Everlast bail system for an improved durability
The Shakespeare Big Game baitcasting combo is suitable for max drag. It is a medium-action rod that is made of stainless steel that can handle a medium weight.
This 18-pound stainless steel combo is not perfect for heavier and big fish.
5. Daiwa LX-WN300HSL Lexa Type-WN Baitcasting Combo
Best Bottom Fishing Baitcaster Combo
- A 7-feet medium-heavy power conventional rod for a long-distance casting
- Offers the benefits of a low profile gear at a lower price
- It comes with a reel that has sufficient fighting power, drag, and line capacity for the application
- Much smaller, easy, and manageable size than most spinning reels
The Daiwa reel and rod combo are the most expensive baitcasting combo on the list. This is more preferred when bottom fishing, salt, or freshwater fishing.
It will not limit you to just jigging, and it can also be perfect for a casting technique in large swimming plugs and topwater. You can also use it when bass fishing.
Things to Consider When Buying a Baitcaster Combo
This determines how many times the spool turns in a single spin of the handle. The best baitcaster combos have a higher gear ratio as there are more lines retrieved per turn.
A shorter fishing reel handle size is way more preferred than a longer one. It is for techniques that use worms or jigs.
However, a quick handle size cannot handle a bigger and heavier bait. A larger and longer fishing reel handle is ideal for a heavy and tough fighting catch.
Ball bearings are designed to make a smooth casting and reeling. Having a few ball bearings is far better as it increases the reeling speed without losing control.
Moreover, when choosing the best baitcaster combos, choose the one with ball bearings with shields. They keep the dirt out of the bearings.
Knowing the spool size will tell you how much drag that your reel can support. Small spool size is preferred for short-line applications like flipping. For smaller line coils, a larger spool size is ideal as it can be easy to manage.
Brakes and Tension
The brakes are designed to control the fishing line through the end of casting. Tension knobs the controls as you begin to cast the line. A good quality braking system and tension can facilitate long casts with a wide range of lure weights.
The best combos are made of aluminum, magnesium, graphite, or fiberglass casting rod. For fishing on saltwater, you need to pick a graphite composite rod as it protects them from corrosion.
Aluminum rods are more rigid and rugged. Fiberglass is lighter, sensitive, and expensive.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are baitcaster combos good?
Baitcaster is not that hard to use if you’re a beginner. A spinning reel is easy to use, but baitcasters aren’t that difficult to master. They are excellent for accurate and long-distance casting.
Baitcast is the go-to reel for heavy line fishing. It can handle heavier lines than other reels so that you can cast longer and harder with the same weight of the line.
What is a good brand of baitcaster?
One of the good brands available on the market is the top of this list, Shimano SLX DC, because of its tournament-like performance.
Other brands are Pflueger President XT Low Profile Reel and Lew’s Fishing Tournament MB.
Why are baitcaster reels better?
The baitcaster reels sit on top of the rod, and the spool is parallel to the rod. It works well with any type and brand of line.
The line comes off the spool directly in line with the rod. While on the other hand, the line is being let off away from the rod.
baitcaster reels are recommended for advanced anglers. Even for beginners, you can use it with any lures, baits, and lines.
A baitcasting combo is a significant change from the standard spinning rods on the market. It’s extra smooth and power casting action can help you step up your techniques.
If you haven’t tried owning one before, or maybe you’re looking for improvement from using a spinning rod. Then, investing in the best baitcaster combo is the way to go.
The Anglers Behind This Article: