Anglers who are into casting artificial lures typically use advanced fishing techniques that require the use of fishing reels like the best baitcaster.
The baitcasting reel delivers both power and extra control in casting your lure, especially if you’re into heavier and bigger catches. It can also handle heavier lines at long distances, heavier lures, and repetitive casting better than almost any other gear available.
Many types of baitcasting reels may serve the same purpose, but not all deliver the same quality, reliability and convenience for the price.
With a lot of choices in the market, choosing the best reels that can be your partner in your water adventure is a daunting task. Here are 13 of the best baitcaster that most anglers opt for to help narrow down your choices.
Our Top Picks
Best Baitcasting Reels
Most Durable Baitcasting Reel
- HAGANE Body
- Super Free Spool
- Viable Brake System
- Oversized rubber knobs with 102mm double handle
- Available in left-handed or right-handed models
- 5+1 stainless steel bearings
- Famed advantages for casting longer distance than some competitors
- Available with one of the nicest reputations in the business
If you’re an angler who targets bigger fish at longer casting ranges, the Shimano Trax is the best option for you. It uses High-Efficiency Gearing (HEG) and X-Ship bearing supported pinion gear for effortless and powerful reeling.
It’s made with a special construction that’s impact-resistant and water-resistant to withstand even the harshest weather.
Runner Up Baitcasting Reel
- 【Powerful】Advanced 4 carbon fiber washers, gives the low...
- 【Convenient Design】Unique side plate ports make the...
- 【Durable】Industrial Durable Strength Japanese Hami Cut...
- 4.33 inches extended crank for a sleeker design
- Double wind shaft
- It uses a high-grade carbon fiber drag system
- Carbon frame construction resistant to salt water
- Lots of Stainless Steel used internally
With its corrosion-resistant stainless steel springs, screws, highly precision-cut gears, and optimal shielded bearings, the Piscifun is one of the most heavy-duty baitcasting reels at the most reasonable price. It’s powerful with its 7.1:1 gear ratio partnered up with five magnets for backlash control.
Most Versatile Baitcasting Reel
- Redesigned Heavy Duty Clutch System, All Grease Bearing...
- Stainless Steel Drive Gear & Pinion Gear, 7 Bearing System...
- EVA Custom Handle Knob, Ultimate Tournament carbon drag...
- UTD carbon drag
- Makes use of a grease bearing system for smooth reeling
- Extended Counterbalanced Handle
- Excellent reputation for bass fishing and for school size yellowfin tuna
- A great mix of affordability and durability
Daiwa Lexa is equipped with a UTD carbon drag rod with an aluminum side frame to catch dominant fish efficiently. The EVA custom knob ensures that you have great control of the reel.
To prevent backlash, the magnetic brake system slows down the spooling action once it reaches the bottom of the sea or the end of the cast. This baitcasting reel enjoys an excellent reputation for durability at an affordable price.
Best in Fast Line Retrieval
- 9 stainless steel ball bearings plus 1 roller bearing...
- X2-Craftic alloy frame for increased corrosion resistance....
- C6 carbon side plates provide significant weight reduction...
- Power stack carbon matrix drag System
- X2-Craftic alloy frame
- Maximum drag pressure up to 24 pounds
- Great reputation among people who throw plastics to big fish
The Abu Garcia baitcasting reel is strong and lightweight that features an X2-Craftic alloy frame construction and Infini II aluminum spool design that delivers high drag pressure that’s efficient in handling extreme loads.
It has a dual braking system and a gear ratio of 6.6:1 up to 7.3:1. If you’re casting a heavy bait, its DuraClutch design helps in reducing thumb bar resistance for smooth and comfortable casting and reeling. This reel is well loved by folk who cast big heavy plastic baits.
Best Value for Money Baitcast Reel
- Package length: 8.686 cm
- Package width: 11.176 cm
- Package height: 14.681 cm
- Available for both right-handed and left-handed
- Zero Reverse one-way clutch bearing
- Utilizes 95mm aluminum reel handle and Combat Grip paddle knobs and Combat Grip thumb bar
- This baitcasting reel is well loved by folk who cast big heavy plastic baits.
For easy navigation, Lew’s Tournament Speed Pool has an externally adjustable Multi-Setting Brake (MSB) dual cast control system with disk-mounted internal brake shoes and a 10-bearing system.
Hence, it’s easier to cast any type of lure at a distance. It uses P2 Super Pinion gear to ensure stability and extended gear life.
Best to Maneuver Baitcast Reel
- Built tournament tough, this low-profile baitcasting reel is...
- Featuring Shimano’s latest technology such as the super...
- Employs SVS Infinity braking system providing easy-to-manage...
- Corrosive-resistant ball bearings
- Uses SVS Infinity braking system
- X-Ship technology for long-lasting performance in fresh water
- Extremely smooth performance for demanding bass fishing
The Curado reel is a go-to fishing accessory for tournament anglers with its durability and ease of use. It’s available in multiple gear ratios for up to 8.5:1, perfect for a wide range of applications.
It utilizes a digital chip to monitor and control the magnetic brakes easily. Even though it’s lightweight at 7.6 ounces, it’s still efficient to be maneuvered in windy conditions.
7. Daiwa Tatula
Best Distance Casting Reel for the Money
- Compact 38mm Sized Aluminum Frame for ergonomic fit
- Zero Adjuster
- Magforce-Z cast control
- 9 Ball bearings
- 13-pound drag power
- Multiple gear ratios from 5.4:1 to 8.1:1
- Excellent reputation for long casts with minimal effort
The Daiwa Tatula is lightweight with its featherweight of 6.9 ounces, suitable for distance casting with its T-Wing system-level wind and Zero Adjuster spool setting for a longer and accurate cast.
It’s the smallest and lightest reel among the Daiwa models making it a go-to reel for junior anglers or those who have small hands or anglers getting used to long days on the water throwing artificial baits.
Best for Beginners
- GREAT FOR BEGINNERS – The 1st Generation Royal legend...
- BIGGER LINE CAPACITY – Royale Legend I is a bigger...
- PERFORMANCE - Low profile design bait caster with a super...
- Eight crossfire magnets for faster braking
- 5 + 1 double-shielded stainless steel ball bearings
- Oval-shaped ceramic line for even lay of the line
- KastKing engineering on every cast
- Unrivalled low maintenance design
The KastKing Royale is suitable for both freshwater and saltwater fishing. It has a fast gear ratio of 7.0:1 that ensures a fast and smooth casting and reeling.
This baitcaster reel is known as the “grand touch” with its soft and comfortable aluminum alloy handle and high-grade EVA knobs. For optimum casting control, it utilizes a dual brake system and an adjustable magnetic brake. This reel is great for people who want minimal maintenance in an affordable package.
Best in Construction
- 10 stainless steel ball bearings + 1 roller bearing
- X2-Cräftic alloy frame: This material provides exceptional...
- C6 carbon palm side plates deliver significant weight...
- Four styles to choose from
- Uses stack carbon matrix system
- Gullwing side plate for easy brake and spool access
- Simple construction with easy access maintenance
- Easy operation
This Abu Garcia Reel is designed with features to ensure better performance, such as the G2 gear design for durability, 10+1 stainless steel HPCR bearing system, MagTrax braking system, and a titanium-coated line to avoid line breakage.
It may be equipped with advanced features, but beginners will not have a hard time operating it.
Best in Braking System
- X-Ship pinion support bearing and MicroModule gearing
- S-ARB shielded stainless steel anti-rust ball bearings
- Carbon alloy construction
- Great reputation for ease of use over the course of a full day casting light baits to picky largemouth
The Shimano Curado is known for its Unique “Cast Smart” Digital Control technology that monitors the spool speed to ensure that the right amount of brake is applied at the right distance and prevents backlash.
This is the best casting reel for all skill levels with its ease of use, durability, and performance. The DC feature reduces casting fatigue
Best Reel Frame
- 9 Bearing System: Corrosion resistant stainless steel ball...
- XT Low Profile
- Magnetic Breaking System: Externally adjustable break...
- A gear ratio of 7.3:1 for smooth reeling
- Soft-touch rubber knob
- Aircraft-grade aluminum handle
- Simple foolproof mag system
- Well trusted by the inshore crew in Southern CA for a wide range of uses.
If you’re looking for a cheap but incredible reel with a way of navigation like a beginner reel and performance like that of a tournament reel, the Pflueger Reel is a top option. This reel is well-loved among southern California half day patrons, for a reason.
It has a magnetic braking system that can be adjusted to have easy control of the spool. Since it has a corrosion-resistant steel ball bearing, it can be used in all types of water.
Most Lightweight Reel
- Fishing reel: Reel constructed from 1-piece magnesium frame...
- Casting reel: Features a premium 11-bearing system with...
- Baitcasting reels: Includes a double anodized aluminum spool...
- SpeedCast adjustable centrifugal braking system
- Hard-anodized aluminum alloy
- Titanium-coated Zirconia line guide
- Very easy to hold in the hand all day
This HyperMag Reel is known as the lightest reel, with its overall weight of 5.4 ounces. It features a fast spooling mechanism with its aircraft-grade Duralumin U-shape spool, and since it’s constructed with a lightweight carbon C45 side plate and 1-piece magnesium frame.
Its casting reel has a premium 11-bearing system and uses a Zero Reverse one-way clutch bearing.
Best for Right-Handed
- 7.1:1 gear ratio
- External lube port and patented speed keeper hook keeper
- 27 position Speed Cast Adjustable Centrifugal Breaking (ACB) system
- Tough construction for trolling and other applications away from the boat or bank
This fishing reel has a rugged but comfortable construction. It can carry a load of up to 20 pounds that’s made possible by its zirconia line guide, Zero Reverse one-way clutch bearings, and stainless steel double-shielded bearings.
It’s also equipped with a carbon fiber handle with Winn Dri-Tac knobs helpful in long hours of fishing.
What Should I Look For When Buying the Best Baitcasting Reels
Here are the different features to consider in searching for a casting reel for easy navigation and maneuvering:
Gear ratios refer to the speed in retrieving the lure. It’s also the count of how many times the spool turns as you rotate the handle.
A higher gear ratio would mean a faster retrieving of the lure. However, lower gear ratios are efficient if you need more strength while you catch big fish or you’re into bass fishing.
Fishing Tip: If you’re into bass fishing, check out our article on bass fishing rod and reel to help you find the right one for you!
Bearings and Materials
The ball bearings and the materials where the reel is made from greatly influence the spool’s performance.
The more ball bearing the reel has, the better friction control it can deliver. For durability, choose the one made from aluminum, graphite, ceramic, titanium, or stainless steel materials. Bearings may wear out though as well, depending on the use.
The spool holds the fishing line. It ensures that the line won’t be tangled for smooth drag.
The spool size would depend on the quality of the line. A deep spool can be used for multiple lines if you’re to catch bigger and heavier fish that requires a heavier line. Shallow spools cast farther, deeper spools will hold more line.
Left-Handed or Right-Handed
Most models of baitcasting reels come in different hand orientations suitable for left-handed or right-handed anglers.
Navigating the casting reel will be much more accurate and comfortable if you use the correct reel type, depending on your dominant hand.
One of the issues encountered in using baitcasting reels is backlashes. In order to avoid it, braking systems are integrated to slow down the spool while casting.
There are two types of braking systems; the adjustable magnet type and the centrifugal that uses friction.
If you’re into catching catfish, here are the best catfish baitcasting reels!
Compared to a spinning reel, baitcasting reels can handle heavier catches and can be used for longer casting.
In addition, bass anglers prefer using baitcasting reels because it’s more durable and has the power and drag performance for long hours of fishing activity.
Low profile bait casting reels also relieve fatigue during long casting sessions, especially with mid weight artificial lures.
The use of a baitcasting reel can be complicated to navigate at first compared to spinning reels, but with its advanced features, you can expect a powerful, accurate, and comfortable casting and reeling that can enhance the style of fishing that you have.
There are different kinds of reels in the market, so be wise in choosing quality and the best baitcasting reels worth your money.
The Anglers Behind This Article: