If you’re just starting with scuba diving, you’re probably having a hard time choosing the best scuba gear.
Well, you have nothing to worry about. To help you, we’ve created a list of only the best dive computer for beginners.
Here are a few more suggestions on which gear to buy:
7 Best Dive Computers for Beginners
- Best Multi-Purpose Diving Computer-Garmin Descent Mk2 Dive Computer
- Best Diving Computer with Advanced Functions-Scubapro G2 Wrist Dive Computer
- Best Basic Dive Computer for Beginners-Suunto EON Core Wrist Dive Computer
- Best Stylish Dive Computer for Beginners-Suunto D5 Wrist Dive Computer with USB Cable
- Best Monochrome Dive Computer –Suunto D4f Freediving Computer
- Best Budget Dive Computer with Monochrome Screen-Aqua Lung i200C Wrist Dive Computer
- Best Monochrome Deep Diving Computer-Mares Smart Apnea Wrist Dive Computer
1. Garmin Descent Mk2 Dive Computer
Best Multi-Purpose Diving Computer
- Advanced, watch-style dive computer with 1.4” color…
- Battery life: up to 80 hours in dive mode, up to 16 days in…
- Features enhanced wrist-based heart rate estimates and Pulse…
- Multi-purpose watch for underwater and other physical activities
- Built-in heart rate and pulse oximetry monitor
- Built-in maps and global navigation support
- Long battery life
Garmin is a famous watch brand known for great smart fitness watches for different physical and outdoor activities. Their Descent Mk2 is no exception.
This could be the Best Multi-Purpose Diving Computer for beginners as it has all the supportive features like a diving watch and smartwatch.
The Descent Mk2, as a diving computer, has a built-in heart rate and pulse oximetry, monitor. It also has built-in maps and global navigation support, even underwater.
Lastly, through the exclusive Dive App from Garmin, you can log in to various relevant diving data for present and future use.
Its low water resistance of 100 meters and its high price might turn off prospective owners of this watch. However, you’ll never go wrong with this sophisticated and high-performance diving watch from Garmin.
2. Scubapro G2 Wrist Dive Computer
Best Diving Computer with Advanced Functions
- Computer, Molded Case, Read First Manual, 3M Foil Screen…
- Scubapro G2 Dive Computer, Transmitter and Heart Rate…
- Complete System to Monitor Dive & Heart
- The Thin-Film-Transistor (TFT) LCD screen consumes less power
- Data presentation through four screen templates: Light, Classic, Full, and Graphical
- A separate heart-rate monitor (HRM) is included in the package
The Scubapro G2 is a step up from their Galileo series, considering appearance, display, and performance.
This device utilizes a thin-film-transistor (TFT) LCD screen that produces a more vibrant screen but consumes less power for longer dive equipment time.
The product also has a separate heart-rate monitor belt, further guaranteeing your safety relative to your body’s capacity when scuba diving.
Unlike other scuba dive computers, this product can make divers uneasy due to its size and bulk shape. The metrics and other functions may be too advanced for new users and casual scuba divers.
Nonetheless, the Scubapro G2 is an excellent guide for beginners and is very useful in more intense driving sessions in the future.
3. Suunto EON Core Wrist Dive Computer
Best Basic Dive Computer for Beginners
- Easy to read
- Water resitance to 80 meters
- 10-20h battery life
- A wireless tank pressure transmitter is included in this product’s package
- Elastomer and Bungee strap material
- Water resistance at 80 meters
Much like the previous product feature, the Suunto EON Core uses a thin-film-transistor (TFT) LCD screen for a vibrant display below water and low lighting.
The data presented on this product is customizable using Suunto’s exclusive CustomDisplay function. This is preferable for divers who prefer a more readable screen.
For those who want a simplified data display, this device is worthy of your attention.
Past some unimpressive features such as low water resistance and high price, this diving equipment has covered impressive but basic features.
4. Suunto D5 Wrist Dive Computer with USB Cable
Best Stylish Dive Computer for Beginners
- MULTIPLE ACCESSORY COLOR STRAP OPTIONS
- FUSED 2 RGBM
- CONNECTS TO NEW SUUNTO APP
- Easy to customize silicone watch straps of various colors (not included in the package)
- Lightweight at only 3.17 ounces
- A wireless tank pressure transmitter is included in this product’s package
As a dive watch, the Suunto D5 uses a mineral crystal glass screen that is readable but not as vibrant as other dive monitors.
Nonetheless, it presents a simple yet informative breakdown of your diving data. The package for this product also includes a Suunto Tank Pod that conducts real-time wireless transmission of the tank’s pressure.
This device is also equally attractive as a stylish watch for outdoor activities. Its strap is removable and can be customized with other colorful straps exclusive from Suunto.
However, the straps are not included in the package and are sold separately.
Still, the Suunto D5 is an impressive dive monitor for beginners and scuba gear enthusiasts. It does not have many great features, but it is enough for someone about to start a scuba diving journey.
5. Suunto D4f Freediving Computer
Best Monochrome Dive Computer
- Ideal for freediving, snorkeling and spearfishing
- Apnea timer
- Maximum depth 100m
- Monochrome LCD Screen
- Apnea Timer for Freediving, Snorkeling, and Spearfishing
- Water Resistance at 100 meters
The Suunto D4f Freediving Computer is a cheap but high-functioning monochrome dive watch intended for freediving, spearfishing, and snorkeling.
With its water resistance of only up to 100 meters below sea level, this product is unsuitable for more than 100 meters of deep diving.
Nonetheless, you can fully maximize this watch if you prefer diving on shallow water surfaces, such as snorkeling.
Freedivers and spearfishers can also use the built-in apnea timer for their respective activities. Either way, the readable screen still allows you to access primary data about your dives.
6. Aqua Lung i200C Wrist Dive Computer
Best Budget Dive Computer with Monochrome Screen
- 4 operating modes. Air, Nitrox, Gauge (with run timer), and…
- User-changeable standard battery and data retention. Uses…
- High visibility LED alarm light. For additional diving…
- Monochrome LCD Display
- Four operating modes: Air, Nitrox, Gauge, and Freediving mode
- User-replaceable battery available in local shops and markets
The Aqua Lung i200C is a relatively older but budget-friendly dive watch model. Utilizing a monochrome LCD screen, the presentation of data is readable under various conditions. It also uses a user-replaceable battery.
There are four operational modes for this product: Air, Nitrox, Gauge, and Freediving Mode. Through the LCD screen, you can access basic measurements and computations about your dive, regardless of the mode you’re using.
Lastly, the Aqua Lung i200C is also a perfect outdoor watch. This makes this one the best budget-friendly multi-purpose dive monitor for beginners, as you can use it when you’re underwater or you’re doing outdoor activities.
7. Mares Smart Apnea Wrist Dive Computer
Best Monochrome Deep Diving Computer
- Apnea mode for freedivers
- Water resistance at 200 meters
- Backlight function: useful in ambient light conditions
The Mares Smart Apnea Wrist Dive Computer functions as a great starter dive watch for newly-certified scuba drivers.
Despite being inferior to the Mares Puck Pro Plus, this is still a step up from the Nemo Apneist; this one is simple but easy to use.
This product also boasts itself to be for freedivers and spearfishermen. In this case, the dive monitor will present vital metrics such as time, depth and ascent, and descent rates.
Interestingly, this can withstand water resistance at up to 200 meters below water level.
There’s not much buzz about this product. However, suppose you want a much cheaper basic dive monitor watch that is still compelling enough to assist you underwater. In that case, you may consider this dive time monitor from Mares.
Things to Consider When Buying the Best Entry-Level Dive Computer
What makes for the best dive computers for beginners? What should beginner divers need to look for in terms of a reliable dive monitor? Here are things to consider as you choose your first dive computer:
Choose the Best Style According to your Preference
There is a wide range of diving computers of various styles and functions. Wrist computers are the best choice for beginners as they have more features and functions than dive watches. This is especially helpful in reading information underwater or limiting visibility by low light conditions or cold water temperatures.
Expensive or Affordable? It Depends on Quality
Most dive computers have always been an expensive purchase for divers. However, plenty of cheap models will fit your budget and won’t leave you broke if something goes wrong with the device down in deep waters.
After researching which type of device best suits your driving needs, make sure you understand the kind of warranty each device covers.
Dive Computers Should Withstand Underwater Conditions
Underwater conditions can be challenging, if not harsh. Such devices with lower water resistance levels cannot withstand deeper dives. At the same time, strap materials are also significant factors in their durability. Thus, look for devices that are strong enough and suitable for your diving preferences.
Brightness & Screen Size
Ensure that the Texts are Readable
The essential function of a diving computer is to monitor several metrics necessary for your immersion in deep waters. In this case, look for devices with larger screen sizes, readable texts, and high brightness levels. Now, this will come in handy in various conditions, especially in low and ambient light.
Easy-Navigation is the Key
Many models on the market have easy-to-navigate menus for planning your dives with ease and logging data to monitor it after a trip underwater. More so, you won’t need any bells or whistles because these entry-level devices will serve you just fine – both now and when you decide to upgrade later down the line!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. Diving computers are a must for people who are about to start their diving journey. While some prefer the use of dive tables as their guide, diving can be risky for beginners.
These diving computers can easily monitor users and their scuba diving gear as they go deeper into oceans and seas. They can also use these to further improve their diving by looking at past dive profiles.
Dive computers are worth purchasing for beginners. Understandably, these devices have a lot of features and functions that affect their price and performance. Having the gadget to use underwater can also be bothersome in itself.
However, the right dive computer is the perfect digital scuba dive gear for new divers as they go below deep waters. They ensure safety and security amid harsh conditions.
The best dive computer for beginners can be customized to your needs. Besides, there is no one-size-fits-all solution, so you should take time to learn about the different features of each product before making a purchase. At the same time, this guide could help make it easier and more enjoyable for your next dive.