One of the most important pieces of equipment, that can often get overlooked until you need them, is a good set of fishing pliers.
If you have been on a fishing trip and hooked a fish with multiple hooks or needed to change hooks on a lure, work on a piece of equipment, or even cut line, you know exactly how important fishing pliers can be.
Top Fishing Pliers
- Heavy Duty Fishing Pliers: Manley Fishing Pliers
- Best Multi-Purpose Tool: Leatherman Wingman Multi-Tool
- Titanium Coated Pliers: Penn Bull Nose Pliers
- No-Slip Grip Pliers: Bubba Blade Fishing Pliers
- Lightweight Pliers: Piscifun Aluminum Fishing Pliers
- Low-Cost Pliers: Booms X1
Best Fishing Pliers for 2022 Reviewed
1. Heavy Duty Fishing Pliers
Manley Fishing Pliers
- Product Type: Sporting Goods
- Item Package Dimensions: 1.524 L X 28.956 W X 2.286 H (Cm)
- Country Of Origin: United Kingdom
Spring-loaded and great for removing small hooks, and gripping fishing lines quickly. Being 7.5 inches in length, these offer the perfect grip for every fishing enthusiast.
Manley fishing pliers have an advanced surface coating that protects the fishing pliers from saltwater exposure for maximum durability.
These fishing piers have tungsten carbide cutters that allow you to cut braided fishing lines and hooks easily.
These sturdy, accurate, stainless steel fishing pliers are here whenever you need to handle fishing line, hooks & other gear.
Specially-coated surface ensures these multi-purpose fishing pliers won’t rust.
Manley fishing pliers can last up to 20 years with minimal lubrication needed.
These pliers come with a free lanyard and holster so they can be attached to clothing or other gear so they’re at-the-ready when you need them.
- Great product for the price.
- No rust or oxidation after 1 year of use
- Feels natural in the hands, very lightweight
- Jaws are strong and do not twist like similar designs
2. Best Multi-Purpose Tool for Fishing
Leatherman Wingman Multitool
- ONE OF OUR BEST: A classic, designed and assembled with...
- 14 TOOLS IN 1: Equipped with 14 tools to handle almost...
- OUR GUARANTEE: We’re proud to stand behind every product...
This lightweight, easy to carry multi-tool features a variety of versatile accessories.
Made of 420HC stainless steel holds an incredible edge, that does not require frequent sharpening.
Wingman is perfect for any angler or can be handy while on a camping trip.
Wingman features a durable stainless steel body that includes needle-nose pliers, wire cutters, a combo knife, screwdrivers and much more.
Multitool Accessories include:
- Stainless steel body
- Spring-action needle nose pliers
- Wire cutters
- Serrated combo knife
- Package opener
- Wood/metal file
- Small screwdriver
- Medium screwdriver
- Phillips screwdriver
- 1-inch ruler
- Bottle opener
- Can opener
- Wire stripper
- Removable pocket clip
- Closed length: 3.8”
- Very easy to open one-handed.
- Offers a variety of tools in one package
- The spring action pliers and scissors are very strong.
- Feels very sturdy when in use.
- Great customer service, they will sharpen the blades for free.
3. Best Titanium Coated Pliers
Penn Bull Nose Pliers
- Stainless steel construction
- Black nickel Titanium Coating
- Replaceable cutters for both mono and braided lines
Penn bull fishing pliers are made of 304 and 420 stainless steel construction and black nickel-titanium coating to help prevent corrosion and make the Penn bull nose fishing pliers very durable
The Penn bull fishing pliers offer replaceable cutters for both mono and braided lines.
They are equipped with ergonomic non-slip grips that prevent your hands from sliding up and down the handles.
Penn bull nose pliers are rugged and ergonomically designed to fit comfortably in your hands.
Designed from corrosion-resistant stainless steel and coated in black nickel-titanium these pliers provide strength, hardness and corrosion resistance.
Other features include replaceable line cutters and knot cinching holes located in the jaws.
The Penn bullnose pliers are designed to withstand the most extreme saltwater environment. They are one of the strongest most corrosion-resistant tools on the market with anvil style cutters for braid and mono.
- No corrosion after several fishing trips.
- Cuts braided line very easily.
- Grips hooks securely.
- Grips are comfortable and spaced to aid in leverage.
Best No-Slip Grip Pliers
Bubba Blade Fishing Pliers
- DIMENSIONS: 7.5” overall length with 2” jaws
- EASE OF USE: Quickly remove hooks or replace treble hooks on...
- RELIABLE: Patented Bubba Blade Non-Slip Grip handle ensure...
Bubba blade fishing pliers are designed and built to be the ultimate in control, strength & durability. The pliers feature a patented “No-Slip-Grip” handle ensuring that this tool will stay firmly anchored in your hand.
Fishermen have come to rely on the patented red handles of the bubba blade fishing pliers for safety and control.
In addition to the handles, these pliers feature a super tough Cobalt cutter and convenient split shot and leader sleeve crimping cutouts.
Bubba blade fishing pliers are outfitted with a lanyard and synthetic sheath for ease of use.
- Stainless steel jaws that are titanium bonded for strength and durability
- Tungsten cutters
- Aerospace aluminum construction for reliable lightweight usability
- Three sets of crimpers for split shot/leader sleeves
- Patented “No-slip-grip” just like the Bubba Blade knives
- Comes with lanyard and nylon sheath for fast access when you need it
- Feel great in the hands.
- The signature grip works well.
- It will last many seasons in saltwater conditions.
- Cutters work very well on mono and braid line.
- Side cutters are extremely sharp.
4. Best Lightweight Fishing Pliers
Piscifun Aluminum Fishing Pliers
- Add Piscifun fishing pliers to your fishing arsenal. Make...
- Anti-Corrosion Aluminum - The aircraft-grade anodized...
- Spring Loaded Pliers - Keeps the pliers open freely, super...
Made of titanium-coated steel the Piscifun aluminum fishing pliers jaws offer power and durability.
Replaceable titanium-coated tungsten carbide cutters that are easy to change.
Piscifun aluminum fishing pliers come with a spring-loaded belt loop clasp for added security and ease of attaching as well as a coiled tether for easy accessibility that also prevents the pliers from accidentally being lost.
Ergonomic grip handle Includes woven nylon belt holster that provides easy access.
Aircraft-grade aluminum, anodized to deliver excellent corrosion resistance to the body of the Piscifun aluminum fishing pliers.
Machine-cut Aluminum Handles deliver reduced weight. Ergonomic Grip provides greater comfort.
The replaceable tungsten carbide cutters provide clean line and wire cuts.
Titanium-coated stainless steel jaws ensure incredible strength and durability. Split ring design provides easy removal from a lure or hooks eye.
The belt loop clasp, coiled tether, and woven nylon sheath make it easy to take with you.
- Comes in 5 different colors
- Extremely lightweight fits most hand sizes comfortably.
- The lanyard is of good quality.
- Has replaceable plier inserts and replaceable tungsten braid cutters.
- Comes with an Allen key to tighten and or replace plier inserts and cutters.
- Grips hook well for quick removal.
5. Best Low-Cost Fishing Pliers
Booms Fishing X1
- X1 fishing pliers is aluminum handle and stainless steel...
- [Aluminum Handle Inset Spring] Using aluminum handle is more...
- [Feature Fishing Jaws] The stainless steel jaws added a...
Aluminum and Corrosion Resistant which is a big plus!
Booms fishing aluminum fishing pliers come from an anodized aluminum material for saltwater or freshwater environments.
Braided Line Cutter: Replaceable 70+ HRC tungsten carbide cutters are perfect for slicing through the tough braided line.
Inset stainless steel jaws: Coated carbon stainless steel inserts not only give the jaws ultimate strength and durability but also the serrated jaws grip tight to remove hooks and protect your hand don t hurt by a triple fishhook.
Easy Use, easy carry: Spring-loaded handle for easy one-handed use, plus a steel wire coiled lanyard and nylon holster to always keep this handy tool within easy reach and security.
Better Quality, Comprehensive Guarantee: Booms Fishing X1 total length reaches 7.87 inches which not only longer than others, but the wire coiled lanyard can withstand tension reached 40 lbs.
- Spring and surge loaded handle.
- Resists rust and corrosion, suitable for both saltwater and freshwater.
- Value pricing
- Safety lock to prevent the fishing pliers from accidentally opening in your pocket.
While on a trip, by myself, I caught a 3-pound bass that decided to swallow the hook. After many attempts at trying to get the hook out by hand, it was apparent I needed a set of fishing pliers. From that point on, I always made sure I had my fish pliers every time I went out.
The following is a list of the fishing pliers I am going to cover in-depth, so you can make an informed decision on the best set of fishing pliers to fit your needs.
When shopping for a set of the best fishing pliers, there are several things to consider. In this article, I am going to go in-depth on several brands, as well as the uses for each, pros & cons, care of your fishing pliers and customer reviews.
Why Fishing Pliers Are Important?
The need to cut a hook can arise at any time. A couple of things to consider with this in mind is the size hooks you typically use, and the ability of your pliers to exert enough leverage force to cut the hook.
If the pliers are weak, they may simply bend instead of cut. A good pair of split ring pliers is a good choice when changing hooks on lures that may become dull or broken.
Fishing Pliers that have a sharp, well-edged cutting ability can mean the difference between a frayed line that is difficult to thread through a hook, and a clean even cut.
Getting Hooks Out Of Fish
Whether you have hooked a fish in the mouth or if the fish has swallowed the hook, A good pair of long nose pliers can be one of the most important pieces of equipment you have. These pliers offer a longer reach to be able to get to the hook, no matter how deep it is.
Crimping or swaging as it sometimes called is a quick and reliable method for making joins in monofilament and cable. However, some of the techniques are misunderstood and fish are often lost due to poorly made crimped connections.
What Materials Make the Best Fishing Pliers?
While stainless steel fishing pliers have been at the forefront of most fishing pliers, because of its strength and durability, over time they could still be prone to rust and corrosion.
With the addition of high-grade aircraft aluminum, used in aluminum fishing pliers, the risk of rust and corrosion in fishing pliers made of this material is virtually nonexistent, without sacrificing strength and durability.
Aircraft aluminum has to withstand very high stresses such as freezing temperatures, rain, and extreme pressure and still be able to perform and resist corrosion, that over time weaken other metals.
Titanium fishing pliers offer strength and durability as well as a very high corrosion resistance. The original largest use of titanium was in the military aerospace industry due to its strength and density,
Most Effective Plier Shapes for Removing Hooks
For many anglers, the long nose fishing pliers (or needle-nose) has reigned supreme as the best fish hook remover. Known for its long reachability, to remove hooks swallowed by fish, and their preciseness as well as excellent leverage.
Pistol shape pliers are also very effective at removing hooks. As the name implies, the pistol shape design makes removing hooks more comfortable to the angler.
How to Remove a Hook Using Your Pliers
Grasp the hook by the stem and, while holding the fish in the water, twist and pull gently, backing the hook out the way it came in.
Don’t ever wiggle the hook or pull with too much force if it’s snagged. If the fish is gut-hooked or the hook is too deep into the throat, it’s best to cut the hook as close to the body as possible and leave it in there.
Many times the hook will simply dissolve and get spit out. The fish has a better chance of living than if you struggle to free the hook.
It is recommended to try to do the hook removal while the fish is still in the water. This prevents added stress to the fish and a higher survival rate.
Extra Features Worth Having on Fishing Pliers
There are several items, as an angler, you may find very beneficial to have on your fishing pliers.
A line cutter can help prevent the line from fraying, which can add difficulty to threading the line through the eye of a hook, or having a knife slip on the line that can create a weak spot.
A ring splitter can be helpful when changing hooks, especially on lures with small hooks.
Multi-tool fishing pliers offer a variety of tools that make them an all in one choice for many anglers.
Caring for Your Fishing Pliers
Rinse with fresh water after each use, especially after use in saltwater.
After rinsing your pliers, dry with a towel.
Occasionally, treat your pliers with an anti-rust spray, such as WD40 or Boeshield T9.
Wipe with cloth and air dry. This will help prevent spotting on Stainless Steel models and on the screws, bearing, spring, and cutters.
Always store your fishing pliers in a dry place to avoid them being in prolonged exposure to water from rain and weather that can also damage the fishing plier’s leather sheath.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who makes the best fishing pliers?
A: Piscifun Aluminum Fishing Pliers, because of their durability, ease of use, and overall comfort as well as reliability.
Q: How to use fishing pliers?
A: There are a variety of ways you can use fishing pliers, they are the best hook remover, they can be used for crimping, cutting line, pulling hooks from fish that have swallowed them, and used to work on other fishing equipment. The uses are endless.
While we feel the Leatherman Wingman multi-tool is the best multi-tool for fishing, out of all the fishing pliers we have reviewed in this article, we feel the Piscifun aluminum fishing pliers are the best pliers for our fishing plier review.
The pros far outweigh the cons, in durability, comfort, versatility, and ease of use.
There is sure to be some debate on which set of fishing pliers are the best pliers in the world, the brands that are covered in this article are definitely among some of the best on the market.
A good set of fishing pliers is something you definitely will not regret investing in. As the saying goes “ you don’t realize how bad you miss something until you don’t have it” Don’t wait until this happens to you.