- Quality Makes the Best Fishing Shirts
- Best Fishing Shirts Reviews
- Insider Advice
I don’t always wear fishing shirts on the water. It’s not a must-have for my fishing gear arsenal as they can feel restricting at times. That being said, as I’ve gotten old I’ve started to use one to fend off the harmful sun and pesky bugs.
Comfort is a big factor in making your fishing trip more enjoyable. Along with comfort, sun (UV rays) protection is a must.
Top Fishing Shirts
- All-Around Fishing Shirt: Columbia PFG Bonehead
- Long Sleeve Fishing Shirt: Huk Kryptek Icon
- Short-Sleeve Fly Fishing Shirt: Izod Men’s Saltwater Easy Care
- Sun Protection Fishing Shirt: Aftco Caster LS Sun Shirt
- Best Light-Weight Fishing Shirt: Columbia Men’s PFG Bahama II
When searching for the best fishing shirts, we focused on comfort and protection.
Along with your shirt, make sure you wear your:
- Fishing hat
- Fishing mask
- and sunscreen
To ensure protection from the sun’s rays.
In this article, I am going to cover some top long sleeve fishing shirts and short sleeve fishing shirts. I’ll even cover some button-up shirts for those who like extra airflow.
Quality Makes the Best Fishing Shirts
Fishing shirts should offer UV and SPF protection from the sun. Another factor to consider is breathability and quick-dry material. These can not only provide protection but comfort as well.
Fishing Shirt Collars, Buttons and More
Some anglers prefer collars on their shirts.
Others prefer a fishing tee-shirt that’s comfortable and easy to slip on.
Buttons types come in traditional buttons and snap styles. Depending on the brand, you can find either type in quality shirts.
Most fishing shirts have at least one breast pocket and others have two or more. These pockets can come in handy for storing items you want often.
Long-Sleeve or Short Sleeve Fishing Shirts?
Long sleeve fishing shirts provide sun protection to the arms that short-sleeve does not. Most anglers worry that they will get “too hot” in a long sleeve fishing shirt.
Breathable materials offer great protection without sacrificing comfort. Some fishermen say the long sleeve breathable fishing shirts actually keep them cooler.
If you do decide to go with a short sleeve fishing shirt, it is very important to use plenty of sunscreen on your arms.
Roll Up Sleeves With a Button Holder
This style of a fishing shirt can be a great compromise to the question long sleeves or short sleeves?
The sleeves can roll up when the sun is not in full force and the button holder keeps them from coming down.
When you want the sleeves down, unbutton the holder strap.
Fishing Shirt With Rod Carrier
This style of fishing shirt is a great choice when you have both hands full.
I’d recommend using a fishing backpack with rod holder if you can instead of one of these shirts.
Yet, a fishing shirt with a rod holder can also be handy to help you hold your rod while you tie lures.
Fishing Shirt Color and Design
Fishing shirts come in a wide variety of designs. This feature is up to the angler for what fits his or her personality.
Color can make a difference. For example, black or dark colors tend to draw heat where white or lighter colors can help repel heat.
Best Fishing Shirts Reviews
Best All-Around Fishing Shirt
Columbia Men’s PFG Bonehead Long Sleeve Fishing Shirt
- PROTECTION WITH STYLE: Columbia Men's Bonehead Long Sleeve...
- HANDY FEATURES: This men's Columbia PFG Bonehead Long Sleeve...
- COMFORT & BREATHABILITY: This long sleeve men's fishing...
The Columbia PFG bonehead is an all-in-one fishing shirt. It offers comfort and usability.
- Made from 100 percent cotton
- Four hook and loop closure box pockets at the chest
- A rod holder loop at the left chest.
- Relaxed fit with utility loop
- Hook and loop on the collar tip
- Mesh-lined vent at center back for breathability
- The material is very breathable and comfortable.
- Stays cool on very hot days.
- Treated to be stain resistant.
Best Long Sleeve Fishing Shirt
Huk Kryptek Icon ¼ Zip Long Sleeve Fishing Shirt
- Sun protection, superior breathability, stain release
- Stretch mesh under-arm and side back
- Moisture transport, anti-microbial
The Huk Icon is one of the most popular fishing shirts available. When you wear this comfortable, rugged quarter zip you’ll be wearing apparel that looks great.
They’re built from state of the art fabrics. The durable poly-knit construction and materials protect you from the elements.
Other features include:
- Kryptek patterns
- Sun protection
- Superior breathability
- Mesh under-arm & side back
- Stain release
- Moisture transport
- Sizing: S–3XL
- Body: 90 percent Polyester,10 percent Spandex
- Mesh back: 100 percent Polyester.
- Very good sun protection.
- Stays cool and dry all day.
- Sizing is very accurate.
- Stylish and functional.
Best Short-Sleeve Fly Fishing Shirt
Izod Men’s Saltwater Easy Care Short Sleeve Fishing Shirt
- Sport flex-technology enables fabric to stretch for maximum...
- Capped mesh back
- Easy care - machine washable so you can wear it straight...
This is a solid shirt that will get the job done for many seasons. Izod has been around for a while and dominates other sports. They bring this knowledge to fishing.
The Izod saltwater fishing shirt offers supreme comfort. Made of 53 percent Cotton, 47 percent spandex it gives the stretch you need.
Other features include:
- Button closure that securely holds the Izod saltwater fishing shirt fastened
- Machine washable for easy cleaning
- Multi-functional chest pockets with button and velcro
- Mesh-lined back yoke
- Fly rod holder that keeps your hands free for tying the leader
This shirt makes a great fly fishing shirt.
Cool caped mesh back ventilation with velcro closure means great breathability.
UPF sun protection protects you at any time during the day.
- Very high quality.
- Comfortable and breathable.
- Dries fast when wet.
- Very affordable and high quality for the price.
Best Sun Protection Fishing Shirt
Aftco Caster LS Sun Shirt
The AFTCO Caster camo fishing shirt is the ultimate in protection from the sun’s UV rays.
The 100% polyester long sleeve breathable stretch fabric is quick dry with a 50 UPF Rating.
This performance shirt features a custom Aftco Camo print and chest logo.
This shirt also features:
- 100% Polyester
- Antimicrobial treatment for odor control
- AFCOOL quick dry
- AFGUARD stain release
- Thumbhole on sleeves.
- Available in black camo, grey camo, and blue camo
I have a feeling this will be your go-to fishing shirt.
- Very comfortable.
- Fits loose.
- Thumbhole in the sleeve for sliding hands in to protect bare hands.
- Stays cool
Best Light-Weight Fishing Shirt
Columbia Men’s PFG Bahama II Short Sleeve Breathable Fishing Shirt
- SUN PROTECTION: Columbia's signature Omni-Shade UPF 30...
- HANDY FEATURES: This men's Columbia PFG Bahama short sleeve...
- COMFORT & BREATHABILITY: This short sleeve fishing shirt...
Designed for the needs of anglers. This shirt is lightweight durable nylon that dries fast. With mesh-lined cape vents at the back shoulder to keep you cool and built-in UV protection.
Other features include:
- Omni-Shade UPF 30 provides the greatest protection for long hours in the sun.
- Hidden shoulder vents add bonus breathability
- The relaxed fit design is great for all-day comfort
- It can be hand washed.
- Dries fast.
- Excellent quality for the price.
- Stretchable for extreme comfort.
Q: What is the difference between UPF and SPF?
A: SPF stands for Sun Protection Factor. It’s the rating you’re familiar with for sunscreens and other sun-protective products. It measures the amount of time it takes for sun-exposed skin to redden.
UPF measures the amount of UV radiation that penetrates a fabric and reaches the skin.
Q: What does HUK stand for?
A: Huk stands for either a long fishing cast or Hunter/Killer.
Q: Where is HUK gear made?
A: Charleston SC.
Q: Where to buy Columbia fishing shirts?
A: There are a variety of online retailers that carry the Columbia brand. We recommend that you buy from Amazon since they have a great return policy.
Q: Where to buy fishing shirts?
A: You can buy fishing shirts at your local sporting goods retailers. We recommend Amazon since they have a great selection and an easy return policy.
Q: What is a fishing shirt?
A: A shirt specific for fishing. Made of water-resistant or quick-dry material. They also protect you against the sun while keeping you cool.
Q: What is a performance shirt?
A: Performance apparel wicks (or pull) away from the moisture from your skin. The moisture evaporates to leave you dry and cool while you perform.
Q: Is it better to wear long sleeves or short sleeves?
A: It is always better to cover as much exposed skin as possible when in direct sunlight.
Q: How often do you wear a fishing shirt?
A: It is advisable to wear a fishing shirt each time you go out to provide as much sun protection as possible. If you sweat, wash it so that it doesn’t develop a stench.
Q: If I buy a more expensive fishing shirt, will that ensure I get all the features I want.
A: The more expensive fishing shirts, in most cases the better its quality and durability. But, many of the cheaper fishing shirts offer the same options as the more expensive brands.
Q: Do I really need a fishing shirt?
A: Yes, with the dangers of sun exposure, it is advisable to wear a fishing shirt each time you go out fishing.
A good fishing shirt can provide all-day comfort. It’ll be keeping you cool and dry while providing protection from the sun’s UV rays.
With so many styles, designs and options on the market, there is sure to be a fishing shirt to fit your taste.
If you don’t like the ones we selected, please kindly let us know in the comments below and we’ll check them out.
The Anglers Behind This Article: