The best flipping and pitching rod is a must for any angler. However, finding the right one can be tough.
You want to buy a good rod, but there are so many options out there that picking the right one feels like trying to find a needle in a haystack!
Our guide will help you make an informed decision on which flipping and pitching rod is best suited for your needs as well as provide some tips on how to choose the perfect setup for your next big catch!
Fishing tip! If you’re having a hard time catching fish, the way you hold your rod could be affecting your success rate. Learn from our article on how to hold a fishing pole properly.
Best Flipping and Pitching Rod
- Great Value for Tournament Level Performance-Shimano SLX Baitcasting Rods
- Best Value Fishing Rod-KastKing Perigee II Fishing Rods
- Best Rod for Catching Big Fish-KastKing Speed Demon Pro Tournament Series Bass Fishing Rods
- Best Rod for Trophy Catfishing –Championship Catfish Pod
- Best Performance for Affordability –Lew’s Speed Stick TP-1 IM8 Casting Rod
- Fan Favorite –Lew’s American Hero Speed Stick 7’6” Heavy Flipping Casting Rod
- Best Rod for Balance and Performance-Dobyns Rods 766 FLIP Championship Series
1. Shimano SLX Baitcasting Rods
Great Value for Tournament-Level Performance
- 1-piece 24 Ton Carbon construction: For improved strength and durability
- Titanium oxide: Promotes smoother fishing line movement
- EVA grips with a 1-inch foregrip length: Promotes more comfortable hand grip
- Shimano™ custom reel seat in either full or split grip: Gives much better grip when fishing with heavy baits
- Best baitcasting rod option
Shimano has designed the SLX Casting Rod with several lengths and actions to give you a wide range of performance and handling.
The rod is composed of quality components and materials. It features a custom Shimano Reel seat and titanium oxide guides that last for years of dependable performance.
2. KastKing Perigee II Fishing Rods
Best Value Fishing Rod
- Toray 24 Ton Carbon matrix KastFlex Technology: For improved accuracy and strength
- Fuji O-Ring line guide: Helps to dissipate heat more efficiently, and deliver excellent durability with monofilament, fluorocarbon, and braided lines
- KastKing PTS (Power Transition System) spigot joints: Utilizes power smoothly
- Tuned grip ergonomics graphite high-strength reel seats: Gives a solid base for spinning reels so anglers can have a comfortable day fishing
The Perigee II Rods are not like any other fishing rod on the market. These rods are perfect for saltwater, freshwater, and kayak fishing.
It comes with two-rod tips: a medium-light with a medium tip or a medium with a medium-heavy tip end. You can choose what type of rod and tip suits your needs the best.
3. KastKing Speed Demon Pro Tournament Series Bass Fishing Rods
Best Rod for Catching Big Fish
- Elite Carbon blanks with Carbon NanoTube resins: Reduces weight while increasing strength and providing ultimate sensitivity
- Fuji reel seat and guides: Ensures that the reels stay firmly connected and the lines slide quickly and smoothly
- Custom WINN handles and fighting butts: Provides great performance to the rods even after long hours of fishing
- 15 Technique-Specific Actions and Lengths: 15 models are available, including four spinning and 11 casting models, all in 1-pc designs
The KastKing Speed Demon Pro is a bass fishing gear rod made from excellent construction material and creative craftsmanship. It provides high tensile strength as it features Composite S-Glass in the base. Anglers can carry this fishing rod anywhere very easily due to its lightweight sporty look. If paired with the right bass reel, it makes a great bass fishing combo!
4. Championship Catfish Pod
Best Rod for Trophy Catfishing
- EVA foam grip: For easy cleaning after catching slimy fish
- High visibility fluorescent tip: Provides a wide view for catching fish both day and night
- 13” fighting handle: Transfers leverage through your entire body
- Medium-fast action: Performs differently from other rods as it allows you to have fun landing smaller channel catfish
Get yourself a Championship Catfish Pod to take your catfishing game to the next level. With its sensitive tip and heavy backbone, it will find its way to your prey with ease.
The hard rubber butt is the perfect balance between utility and performance. More so, its unique design is ideal for catfishing, boating, or trolling for catfish.
5. Lew’s Speed Stick TP-1 IM8 Casting Rod
Best Performance for Affordability
- WINN Grips handles with Dri-Tac technology split grips: Provides ultimate rod control and touch during all kinds of weather
- Premium IM8 graphite blank with Carbon Nano Tube construction: Gives anglers tournament feeling
- American Tackle Microwave Guides: Utilizes greater line control and more sensitivity
- Custom skeletal SoftTouch graphite reel: Reduces weight while delivering incredible comfort
The Lew’s Speed Stick TP-1 IM8 is a flipping technique-specific instrument that will help you hone your bass-catching skills with top-tier performance.
6. Lew’s American Hero Speed Stick 7’6” Heavy Flipping Casting Rod
- Rugged gunsmoke stainless steel guides and sic inserts: For improved strength and durability
- Lightweight graphite reel seats: Promotes more comfortable hand grips
- Premium high-density EVA split grip handles: Balance each rod perfectly
- Line weight ranges from twenty to forty pounds: Utilizes a strong backbone
These casting rods are made out of premium multilayer, multi-directional graphite construction reinforced with premium resins.
The rods have been made with Lew’s APT Advanced Performance Technology process to give you strength and speed from the blank construction.
Additionally, Your purchase is helping support American Veterans through their pursuits of happiness.
7. Dobyns Rods 766 FLIP Championship Series
Best Rod for Balance and Performance
- High modulus graphite blanks: Give a lightweight with medium-heavy power to pull fish
- Heavy power and fast action: Sets the hook deeply and land fish one after another
- Kevlar wrapping: Promotes improved performance and protection
- Fuji graphite reel seat: Eliminates cold and increases flipping rod sensitivity
- AA grade Portugal cork handle: Expensive top-grade cork that offers both beauty and durability
Perfect for fishing enthusiasts, the Champion rod series is back with major upgrades. They offer all of the features of their predecessors while maintaining the lightest flipping stick reputation. Anglers prefer this flipping rod for catching bass.
Things to Consider When Buying the Best Flipping and Pitching Rod
Make sure you buy a rod with a sturdy backbone when flipping for bass. Otherwise, it will be complex to set the hook. Remember that the medium-heavy to heavy range of the scale will give you the power needed for quick hook setting and fighting.
In the fishing world, a fast-action rod returns to a straight position quickly. Smaller fish will be easier to reel in with all that in mind because you don’t have as much flexibility.
A medium-action rod is a perfect choice for flipping, which is stronger and less likely to break. The extra bend makes it easy to bring in your catch with less mess.
The best rod for flipping should have a line weight of around ten to twenty-five pounds. It is an excellent range for large bass fishing. Generally, this range is perfect for the power, action, and rod length you’ll be buying for flipping.
A good quality rod should be durable enough so it doesn’t break while fighting fish. The best flipping rods have a low-stretch material. So they can handle the strain from tugging, flipping, and twisting as you attempt to reel in the fish.
The spinning rod is one of the best tools for fishing, and the best one will be in shorter length as you need to be in closer proximity to your target. You want to be able to sneak up on the fish, but you don’t want to be too tight, either.
The rod involves using a flipping jig or weighted soft plastic baits to make it easier for the fish to strike the lure.
While the lure weight should fall within 3/8 ounces to 1/2 ounces, you can go outside this range if necessary. Nonetheless, you’ll find that most of your flipping stick is in that general lure weight range.
The backbone is a rod’s spine that affects the rod’s balance, performance, and durability. A strong backbone and flexible spine will ensure that it doesn’t break when used during a fish pull.
This strength and flexibility ensure that it won’t break into two pieces when the fish pulls on it. It also provides that your rod won’t snap during a catch.
Everyone enjoys their pastime fishing. Technology has evolved so have the means to fish and the tools to do so. With advancements in fishing gear and methods, it’s nearly impossible to go wrong when picking the best flipping and pitching rod.
Now that you walked through the process of finding the right features of a new rod, hopefully, you’ll make an informed purchase.