Every angler needs fly fishing accessories to complement their fly fishing gear. Fly fishing accessories are tools that make your fly fishing gear function better.
From cutting to fastening and protection for you and your fly fishing gear, the importance of fly fishing accessories cannot be overemphasized. For many anglers, choosing the right fly fishing accessories can be overwhelming.
This is because there are so many to choose from. We have therefore come up with a list of ten best fly fishing accessories for every angler.
10 Fly Fishing Accessories
- Nippers – Loon Fly Fishing Classic Nipper
- Fly Fishing Hats – Columbia Bora Booney
- Polarized Sunglasses – Costa Del Mar Rectangular Sunglasses
- Fly Box – Maxcatch Fly Fishing Box
- Forceps – Umpqua Fly Fishing Forceps
- Tippet Holder – Booms Fishing Fly Fishing Tippet Spool Holder
- Fly Floatant – Gehrke-Feets GINK Fly Pro Original Floatant
- Net Retractor or Net Holster – SF Net Retractor
- Strike Indicators – Air-Lock Fly Fishing Strike Indicator
- Wading Boots – Frogg Toggs Fishing Wading Boot
One of the most important accessories that you can have as a fly angler is a pair of nippers. Nippers are used for cutting and trimming fly fishing gear.
The main function of nippers is cutting off excess tippet material. While most anglers use their teeth or knives for cutting tippets, nippers are best suited as they always provide a clean cut.
Aside from cutting tippets, nippers can also be used for making dry flies more presentable.
Best Choice: Loon Fly Fishing Classic Nipper
- Straight Cutting surface
- Eye clearing needle
- Small attachment lanyard
The Loon Fly Fishing Classic Nipper is an excellent choice for all fly anglers. It is made from stainless steel making it suitable for different forms of fishing. This nipper can be used for saltwater fishing, river fishing as well as still water fishing. It also comes with a comfortable grip for easy cutting.
2. Fly Fishing Hats
Fly fishing in the sunlight of summer exposes you to harmful rays that can affect your skin and eyes. This is why it is important to wear proper clothing items when fly fishing. One of the essential wears for fly fishing is a fishing hat.
Fly fishing hats perform two major functions, one of which is protecting your face and neck from sunburn and heatstroke. By providing cover for your face, fishing hats also enable your polarized sunglasses to function better.
Best Choice: Columbia Bora Booney
- OMNI-SHADE: UV protection at its best, Omni-Shade materials…
- OMNI-WICK: The ultimate moisture wicking technology for the…
- ALWAYS SUNNY: This sun hat features built-in UPF 50…
This is a Booney-style hat that ticks all the boxes for sun protection, moisture management, and comfort. Made of nylon the hat comes with an adjustable chin strap that keeps it securely on your head.
It features a wide brim that works with the omni-shade to protect you from harmful UV rays. It also features a sweat-wicking headband.
3. Polarized Sunglasses
Just like fishing hats, polarized sunglasses provide needed protection for fly anglers. Polarized sunglasses protect your eyes from harmful UV rays that can cause serious defects.
Polarized sunglasses create a great fishing experience, as they give you clear vision by blocking out glare and horizontal light waves.
Best Choice: Costa Del Mar Rectangular Sunglasses
- 100% UV PROTECTION: All Costa Del Mar Eyewear lenses block…
- COSTA 580G GLASS LENSES: Costa’s patented 580G glass…
- OPTIMAL USAGE: Costa’s Copper Green lenses are our most…
Made of high-tech lens, the Costa Del Mar Rectangular Sunglasses is a top choice for fly anglers. The green mirror polarized lens provides anglers with better vision and contrast.
It is designed with 100% UV protection and is ultra scratch-resistant. The nylon frame is durable and comfortable.
4. Fly Box
One of the essential fly fishing accessories that every angler must have, is a fly box. Fly boxes help you to keep your flies organized and secure.
With a fly box, your flies stay in good shape for a long time, as they are safe from wear and tear. You can also pack your flies in an orderly manner, allowing you to take what you need without stress. An average fly box can hold up to 250 flies.
Best Choice: Maxcatch Fly Fishing Box
- Waterproof fly box– The latch closes firmly, and the…
- Made of impact resistant high density ABS plastic. Tough…
- Double Clear Lid Design– Clear plastic covers on two sides…
The Maxcatch Fly Fishing Box is a reliable waterproof fly box that is made of ABS plastic.
One of the thrills of fly fishing is the “struggle” against the fish. At times, your fly might get into a fish’s mouth when they are fighting against your fly rod. Getting the fly out can be done with the use of a pair of forceps.
They are reliable in unhooking the fish and getting your fly free. Forceps can also be used to hold flies as well as remove or return them to the fly box.
Best Choice: Umpqua Fly Fishing Forceps
- Scissor/clamp combo
- Crimp barbs, cut line or a small branch to free snagged…
- One oversized finger looop for easy use
The Umpqua Fly Fishing Forceps is a great choice for all fly anglers, beginners, and veterans alike.
6. Tippet Holder
A tippet is a crucial part of a fly fishing rig. This is why it is important to store your tippet properly. A tippet holder allows you to pack multiple spools of tippets and have easy access to them while on water.
You no longer have to go through other gear looking for your tippet. Most tippet holders also come with a cutting blade, making it incredibly simple to set up your fly fishing rig.
Best Choice: Booms Fishing Fly Fishing Tippet Spool Holder
- [ SIMPLE AND EFFECTIVE ] Keep tippet spools in order and…
- [ HIGH-CAPACITY ] Holds up to 5 tippet spools, easy to use
- [ NO RUST ] Black anodized aluminum bar, lightweight and…
The Booms Fishing Fly Fishing Tippet Spool Holder is an efficient tippet holder, capable of holding up to five tippet spools per time.
7. Fly Floatant
Also known as fly dressing, fly floatant are essential accessories for all fly anglers, particularly those that enjoy dry fly fishing.
What a fly floatant does is that it keeps dry flies floating on water, by giving a water-repellent layer. Without fly floatant, dry flies will become waterlogged thereby making them ineffective.
Best Choice: Gehrke-Feets GINK Fly Pro Original Floatant
- Country Of Origin : China
- The Package Height Of The Product Is 1.1 Inches
- The Package Length Of The Product Is 3.2 Inches
This product is a super lightweight floatant that blends deeply into the body of your dry flies.
8. Net Retractor or Net Holster
Net retractors and net holsters are two fly fishing accessories that serve the same purpose. They are used to hold your net in place when fishing.
While a net retractor is used by attaching it to a backpack or fly fishing vest, a net holster is usually attached to a wading belt. If you are wet wading, you can attach your net holster to a regular belt.
Best Choice: SF Net Retractor
- Advantage: New durable carabiner quick release magnetic…
- Premium Material: Magnets made of Aviation aluminum are less…
- Size: New Heavy Duty Stretchable spring-cord. Made of steel…
The SF Net Retractor is a strong net retractor made of steel wires and PVC. It comes with a magnet clip holder.
9. Strike Indicators
Strike indicators are effective for nymph fly fishing. As nymphs are fished underwater, a strike indicator enables the fly angler to keep track of their fly.
A movement from the strike indicator alerts the fly angler that they have made a catch underwater. Strike indicators can be purchased at a local fly shop.
Best Choice: Air-Lock Fly Fishing Strike Indicator
- 2 Three packs of Air-Lock indicators in factory packaging.
- 30% Lighter: Easier, more efficient casting and delivery.
- Suspends 25% more weight on the water.
The Air-Lock Fly Fishing Strike Indicator is an environmentally friendly strike indicator, which is lightweight and effective.
10. Wading Boots
Wading boots are important for the safety of anglers. As a matter of, every angler should own at least one pair of wading boots. There are a few reasons why a pair of wading boots is an essential accessory.
The first reason is safety, as anglers typically have to walk in slippery conditions, sometimes moving on rocks and debris.
A good pair of wading boots will give you traction and protect your feet from injuries. The comfort gotten from wading boots can also not be compared to other footwear.
Best Choice: Frogg Toggs Fishing Wading Boot
- Lightweight mesh and PVC upper with felt outsole
- Padded ankle collar
- Nylon heel pull
This is a sturdy pair of wading boots that will provide you with all the comfort and protection needed for long hours of fishing.
Other fly fishing stuff to get include a waist pack, fishing rod racks, bug net, landing glove, headlamp, wading staff as well a wading belt.