Fly fishing is one of the most popular sports in the world, but it can be difficult to transport your gear.
When you’re on a river or stream, you don’t want to have to worry about your equipment getting wet or damaged.
With that in mind, we’ve rounded up the best products on the market to help you find the best fly fishing sling pack for you.
Our Top Picks
6 Best Fly Fishing Sling Packs
- Best Sling Pack for Long Fishing Trips-Teton – Sling Pack for Fly Fishing
- Best Waterproof Sling Pack-Simms Day Creek Z Fishing Sling Packs
- Best Versatile Fishing Bag-Simms Freestone Tactical Hip Pack
- Best Ambidextrous Sling Bag-Fishpond Flathead Sling Pack
- Best Multipurpose Fishing Tackle Bag-Simms PG-12053 Dry Creek Z Sling Pack
- Most Comfortable- Umpqua Switch 600 ZS Sling Pack
1. Teton – Sling Pack for Fly Fishing
Best Sling Pack for Long Fishing Trips
- Features an EVA foam work station for emergencies
- Made with water-resistant fabric and has a padded shoulder strap
- Comes with three side pockets for additional storage and a water bottle pocket
While it only measures 9″ when fully expanded, this Teton sling pack is the perfect size for every fly angler.
This versatile bag comes with three side pockets, an extra sleeve for your fishing net, and a water bottle holder. It also features a removable fly patch that you can use and two velcro pockets for extra storage.
2. Simms Day Creek Z Fishing Sling Packs
Best Waterproof Sling Pack
- Made with 300D polyester ripstop with PU coating and TPU lamination
- Features a waterproof self-healing zipper
- Includes a water-resistant external pocket with a net holster
This bag is a fully submersible, waterproof pack designed to keep your hands free and your important items close.
It features an ergonomic design, allowing you to take your essentials anywhere without discomfort. Additionally, this bag has a cushioned strap that’s made with breathable and waterproof foam.
3. Simms Freestone Tactical Hip Pack
Best Versatile Fishing Bag
- Comes with a dual zipper main compartment for accessibility
- Wear it however you like with its adjustable straps
- Features a magnetic docking station for metal fishing tackle
This bag is designed to be durable and lightweight, so you won’t have to worry about carrying too much weight. It comes with helpful features, like a tippet caddy and woven pocket for extra storage.
Because it’s made with 100% 420D Oxford nylon, it’s sure to last. Additionally, you can wear it as a chest bag or a waist bag.
4. Fishpond Flathead Sling Pack
Best Ambidextrous Sling Bag
- Ambidextrous design – Can be worn over left or right…
- Fishing Pack Size: 14″ x 5″ x 10.5″ – 10L
- 210D nylon Cyclepond fabric
- Made with 210D nylon Cyclepond fabric for durability
- Features an ambidextrous design with a cross-body strap
- Has an easy-access magnetic front pocket and a removable foam fly patch
The Flathead is a sling that combines agility and ease of use in one system. It’s made from a highly durable ballistic nylon fabric with a water-resistant coating, so it’s comfortable to carry and built to last.
Not only that. It also features two water bottle pockets, so you’re hydrated throughout your trip!
Its main compartment with moveable interior dividers also offers tremendous carrying capacity and an organized workstation.
5. Simms PG-12053 Dry Creek Z Sling Pack
Best Multipurpose Fishing Tackle Bag
- Made from waterproof TPU fabric for abrasion- and puncture-resistance
- Comes with a fully cushioned foam shoulder strap and back panel for comfort
- Includes easy-access storage pockets
The pack is a versatile 12-liter pack that includes plenty of space for your gear. It’s waterproof, so you can keep the elements at bay while you’re on the water.
Additionally, it has a submersible zipper, a water-resistant front pocket, and an interior zippered pocket.
6. Umpqua Switch 600 ZS Sling Pack
- Made with 420D nylon with an ambidextrous design
- Includes multiple pockets and a nipper station for additional storage
- Has a large main compartment that can hold four fly boxes
You can wear this comfortable and versatile sling on either shoulder with an adjustable padded sling strap to suit your body. Thanks to its ZeroSweep design, you get a streamlined, smooth exterior that’s perfect for any fishing trip.
Also, you get a snag-free pack with full-length double zippers for extra security.
Fishing Vests vs. Fishing Sling Packs vs. Fly Fishing Backpacks
Fishing sling packs, vests, and backpacks are fly fishing gear that can help you with storage and organization. Here are the main differences among the three.
Fishing Sling Packs
Like vests, sling packs offer accessibility. These also offer multiple storage compartments that help you organize your fishing essentials better. If you prefer to store your gear in front of you, a sling pack is a great choice.
A fly fishing vest is a great option if you want easy access to your fishing tackle. Thus, vests are convenient because you can store all of your essential gear right in front of you.
There are many vest sizes that you can choose from, from small to larger ones that can store many fishing essentials.
Fly Fishing Backpack
If you’re someone who enjoys long fishing trips, it’s best to go for a backpack. Fishing backpacks are an excellent option for those who like to organize their tackle more effectively.
Large pockets and add-ons come with most backpacks, allowing you to organize your stray flies.
Things to Consider When Buying the Best Fly Fishing Sling Packs
Depending on your needs, you should consider buying a bigger or smaller sling pack. A bigger pack gives you more flexibility, but the additional weight can be a little annoying.
You should also find an entire pack that can fit fishing lures, a fly box, and your rain gear.
Generally, sling packs have a shoulder strap that you can wear over your right shoulder. However, most modern manufacturers also offer ones that you can wear on either shoulder.
If you’re looking for flexibility, find a sling pack that’s ambidextrous.
There are a lot of inexpensive sling packs in the market. While they aren’t the best quality, they still serve the purpose. It’s also not necessary to buy an expensive pack.
However, if you have the money to spend, make sure you buy one that suits your needs and preferences.
Start by finding the size and number of pockets you like. Of course, the sling pack should meet your fishing needs and preferences. A sling pack with one or two main compartments and a handful of smaller exterior pockets helps organize tackle boxes.
Additionally, these pockets should also be accessible for a happy fly fishing experience.
Of course, waterproof sling packs are the best ones. While you wear it higher than a waist pack, it can still get wet when you’re wading in deep waters.
With this, choosing a waterproof sling bag is a safe option. Look for ones that are designed to stay dry no matter the conditions.
Fabric and Denier
The bag’s fabric and denier are important considerations when choosing a waterproof sling pack. With premium fabric, you’ll be able to protect your valuables while also ensuring durability.
Invest in a sling pack made with 600-700D nylon so that you can use it for a long time.
A great pack comes with D-rings, mole straps, and cord loops, which you can use to attach your gear.
There are also ones with velcro strips and fly rod holders that come in handy when you’re in deep waters. With this, getting a fly fishing pack with many attachments can help you fish more easily.
Fly fishing packs come in many variations. Some have many pockets, while others have a simpler design for the essentials. If the fishing sling you choose is smaller and less bulky, it’ll be easier for you to move.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can you organize a fly fishing sling pack?
A sling bag is convenient to carry your fishing gear and other valuables around on a fishing trip. Thus, they’re a great alternative to your bulkier backpack for day trips.
Are sling bags good?
If you want to carry everything you need for a day out, these bags are perfect. They’re big enough to fit your essentials but small enough that they won’t slow you down.
What is a sling pack?
Sling packs are a hybrid of a backpack and a hip pack. Generally, they come in different styles and shapes and offer many features that come in handy for fly anglers.
The Best Fly Fishing Sling Packs for You
Without a doubt, you can find many great sling packs in the market. However, the best fly fishing sling packs are those that meet your fishing needs and preferences in just a flip.
That said, this article will help you decide what the best one is for you, especially if you’re a fly fish angler. Of course, you can also choose chest packs or waist packs, if that’s what you prefer.