Good grease can improve the lifespan of your fishing gear. It provides an extra layer of protection against harsh conditions. In other words, it prevents your gear from getting damaged in the first place.
When it comes to fishing equipment, you should use nothing but the best grease for fishing reels!
Here are some recommendations that you should check out!
Our Top Picks
11 Best Grease for Your Fishing Reel
1. Lucas Oil Product 10690 Fishing Reel Oil
Best Fishing Reel Grease
- Lucas Oil production, 10690 fishing reel oil
- Convenient bottle for the tackle box
- 1 oz. bottle
- Comes with a precision needle applicator
- Convenient packaging that fits into a tackle box
- Works with freshwater and saltwater fishing reels
- Penetrates tight space
Lucas Oil is a special blend of synthetic oils specifically designed to lubricate all moving parts of a fishing reel. It can penetrate tight spaces, such as bearings, which might not be possible without the right kind of lube.
It can also prevent rust and has corrosion resistance under adverse conditions. Additionally, it also has waterproof properties that add an extra layer of protection to your fishing reel.
For a saltwater angler who uses their gear recreationally or professionally, Lucas Oil is ideal for your toolbox.
2. Corrosion Technologies ReelX 77000
Best Extreme-Pressure Fishing Reel Grease
- Improves reel performance
- Stops and prevents rust and corrosion
- Will not harm plastic, PTFE or monofilament
- Prevents corrosion, rust, and highly lubricating
- Friendly to plastic, PTFE, or monofilament fishing reel
- Doesn’t gum up your reel, harden, or crack
- Safe to use on electronics
The ReelX 77000 is a hi-tech, extreme-pressure reel lube that virtually eliminates wear and disrupts existing corrosion. It also prevents new corrosion or rust from forming on all spinning and casting reels alike.
Additionally, it has no waxes, tars, or other solids, so it won’t ever get clogged with dirt from the environment. Not only that, but it’s also great for fishing rods during rainy seasons because ReelX 77000 can handle water without getting sticky and messy.
The ReelX 77000 is like a magic shield for metal. This super-material also has an impressive ability to protect electronics from electrolysis.
3. PENN Reel Oil and Lube Angler Pack
Best Value for Money
- Has both oil and fishing reel grease
- Best used on a saltwater fishing reel
- Comes in a squirt bottle for precise application
- Pocket-sized packaging
Nothing’s worse than fishing with a reel that doesn’t work. The Penn Grease and Oil helps ensure that your experience on the water will be successful.
Penn’s reel grease and oil for fishing reels guarantee high lubrication and water stability. It also provides high load-carrying capacity and anti-rust qualities in all important parts of your fishing reel.
Penn’s oil and grease are both perfect for your fishing reel. The small size will last you a long time, even if it means having to buy the 2-pack instead of just one bottle. It’s perfect for your saltwater fishing reel’s handles, knob, and ball bearings, too!
4. Cal’s Universal Fishing Reel and Star Drag Grease
Best Universal Fishing Reel Grease
- 1 OUNCE PURPLE: Cal's Thinner Purple Universal Reel and Star...
- Maximum corrosion protection, Incredible salt-water...
- Superior heat and wear resistance, Safe for all metals and...
- Made with modern lubrication technology
- Protects all kinds of metal, including steel and aluminum
- Provides amazing corrosive saltwater prevention
- Safe for use on common plastics
The latest in fishing reel lubrication technology is here with Cal’s Universal Reel and Star Drag Grease. This grease protects all metals from corrosion thanks to its ultra-modern formulation, making it ideal for any type of angler.
The product is designed to protect your fishing gear and keep it performing at its best. You can use it on all kinds of plastics, drag washers, seals, and o-rings commonly found in reels.
It’s also known for giving your reel consistent performance and is easy to use. Additionally, it has thermal resistance, so you know it will last a long time.
5. Abu Garcia Maintenance Kit
Best Fishing Reel Grease and Oil
- Complete maintenance kit for our fishing reel
- Best used on freshwater fishing reels
- Comes in easy to carry and store case
- Comes with a degreaser that leaves your freshwater reel spotless
The Abu Garcia maintenance kit comes with the necessary equipment to keep your favorite reels in tip-top shape. It comes with a precision lube oil, grease, and a wrench.
Additionally, it also includes a degreaser that gets rid of dirt from crankshafts quickly without any damage. Its degreaser also works on sensitive bearings and shafts!
This pack is perfect for anyone who wants great fishing reel performance. In addition, there are also easy tools like an 8-inch spanner wrench, which will help you remove stubborn nuts & bolts when replacing parts.
6. Ardent Reel Care 3 Step Pack
Best Convenient Kit for Fishing Reels
- Includes free synthetic swabs to help clean tight reel spaces
- Comes with a two-headed screwdriver
- Has reel butter oil that provides excellent lubricating properties
The Ardent Reel Kit is a complete kit for your fishing reel’s maintenance needs. It comes with Ardent reel butter grease and oil that are perfect for cleaning your reel’s crank gears.
It also has synthetic swabs to help you apply oil and grease in hard-to-reach places. The Reel Kleen Cleaner removes dirt buildup from rods, so you can always fish at peak performance.
This small container is great for a fishing trip when access might be limited!
With all these items conveniently packaged inside one easy carry case, the Ardent Fishing Kit truly does have everything you need. With the Ardent Fishing Kit, you can keep your gear running smoothly and clean with its reel cleaner.
7. Yamalube ACC-GREAS-10-CT Marine Multi-Purpose Grease
Best Multipurpose Silicone Grease
- It can be applied in various ways
- Ideal for freshwater and saltwater reels
- Works well in extreme conditions
YamaLube grease is your fishing reel’s best friend. This synthetic silicon carbide grease boasts high functioning lubrication and dielectric and water-stable qualities.
Its components are designed to withstand extreme conditions, so you can ensure that it will keep your internal gears turning.
The Yamalube fishing reel lube serves double duty as a lubricant and rust and corrosion inhibitor. It adheres well to any surface, even with friction, so you never have to worry about it sliding off.
You also don’t have to squeeze or spray. Just pump on this powerful grease with your pressure gun for an easy application!
8. Liberty Oil
Best Fishing Reel Oil
- 100% Synthetic oil that will reduce friction between any...
- Use this to replace petroleum based or spray lubricants.
- Safe to use on plastics and painted surfaces.
- Has a needle applicator for precise application
- Ideal for use on any fishing reel material
- Provides excellent anti-friction properties on highly corrosive environments
The Liberty fishing oil is an innovative solution for your fishing gear. The synthetic composition reduces the friction of moving parts and helps keep them in top shape.
This saves your time when trying to line spools or replace worn-out spools. Unlike other types that may leave residue, Liberty doesn’t have any toxic chemicals because it’s made from all-natural materials!
Additionally, it protects against wear and tears while also reducing overall noise during operation. It can also be used as a lubricant, so there are no more tangles caused by knots around a fishing line!
9. Interflon Fin Super (Aerosol) 300 ML Can
Best Fishing Reel Lubricant
- Long-Lasting - Lubricates up to 10 Times Longer Than...
- Ideal for use on cycles, fishing rods, guns, tools, and...
- Repels moisture, dust, and dirt while providing super-low...
- Non-sticky and leaves a protective film
- Provides strong lubricating power
- Odor-free and non-staining
- Moisture-resistant, repels dust and dirt
Wherever you’re fishing, the Interflon Fin Super Fishing reel oil delivers lubricating properties and long-lasting performance. The best part is that it also offers a transparent and odorless finish to your fishing reel.
Additionally, it boasts powerful features like protection from corrosion with its dielectric coating function while being easy on human skin!
The Interflon lube is the perfect fix for any potential rust problem. Not only does it prevent corrosion, but it also stops existing rust from spreading. Additionally, it works to kill new surfaces because of its corrosion inhibiting properties!
10. Daiwa 64110100 Reel Oiler
Best Precision Grease for a Spinning Reel
- When you need just the right amount of oil applied to an...
- When you need just the right amount of oil applied to an...
- The container is crystal clear so you know when you are...
- Compact and convenient to store
- Equipped with needle applicator for precise application
- It can be used on spinning reels, firearms, and knives
The Daiwa Reel Oiler is the best reel oil for those who constantly go on fishing trips. This pen-sized container can slip into your pocket and is transparent, so you’ll know how much product is left.
Because of its foolproof design, you won’t run out of grease and oil at the worst possible moment.
With this needle-thin applicator, you can apply the right amount of reel grease and oil and get into hard-to-reach spots. No more over-greasing your lines!
11. Interflon Fin Grease (Aerosol) 300 ML Can
Best Fishing Reel Grease Spray
- Significant Reduction of Friction and Wear
- Protects Against Water and Contaminants
- Inhibits Rust and Corrosion
- Has excellent corrosion resistant properties
- Lasts ten times longer than other reel lubes
- Water-resistant and for all kinds of reels
Fin Grease is a popular lubricant for reels of all types. It will spray on like oil and expand into more generous grease once it settles. This makes it perfect for those hard-to-reach areas in your reel or other fishing equipment!
This reel lube is the perfect wintertime companion for any angler who wants to preserve their gear. It not only resists cold but also has a bond stronger than regular viscosity can offer. The Fin Grease is ideal against harsh conditions and weather.
Things to Consider When Buying the Best Fishing Reel Grease
You don’t want a fish to be the one that gets away because it’s too cold and your fishing grease froze for those anglers who brave winter fishing; make sure not to use just any kind of grease.
Some will harden in colder weather, so it’s best for all anglers to use reel grease with thermal stability.
The separation rate of fishing reel oil is an important factor to consider when purchasing. It’s the amount at which the soap separates from the oil. Thus, it should be kept low for your reels to stay functional. High rates can even put them at risk!
If you want to use a lubricant for your fishing reel, go with something thin and with low viscosity. This will help the moving parts of the reel move smoothly without friction.
There are three main types of reel oil and grease: corrosion-resistant, waterproofing, and rust inhibiting. Always check to ensure that you’re using the kind with excellent corrosion properties for your fishing reel’s needs.
The best fishing reel oil and grease has a water resistance that makes it perfect for any angler. When they’re applied to your favorite rod, they create an invisible coat over all parts of the reel housing. This prevents rusting or sticking from happening on their surface.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to lubricate a fishing reel?
Remove the screw cap on your reel and unscrew the handle. Use a cotton swab to thoroughly clean out the dirt between each bearing with an oil droplet for lubrication. Once done, reassemble it back together by placing one drop onto both bearings before putting them back into place.
What’s the difference between oil and grease for fishing reels?
Grease might be too thick for most reels but can still help lubricate the gears. Oil is a liquid that’s runny and much easier to use on the reel.
What type of grease is best for fishing reels?
The type of grease you’ll need for fishing will depend on what kind of water you’re in. Saltwater and freshwater are two very different environments, so treat your gear specifically based on the environment it’s going into.
Can you use Vaseline on fishing reels?
If you don’t have any fishing reel oil on hand, Vaseline works just as well. It’s mainly grease and will not reach the smallest parts of your reel. However, it can keep those accessible innermost areas lubed.
Grease is essential for the longevity of reels because it keeps metal parts from rusting together. A reel or any mechanical device needs lubrication to work between moving pieces when you look at a reel.
It’s a necessity for smooth operation and works better than oil alone. Just remember to find the best grease for fishing reel based on the type of reel you have.
Not sure what reel to pick? Check out our top recommendations:
The Anglers Behind This Article: