One of the most important accessories in kayak fishing is the paddles. In choosing an oar, durability, functionality, and the cost of availing one are the factors that most paddlers consider.
There’s a notion that all oars in the market perform equally. They may all do the same thing, but in reality, not all paddle brands have the same efficiency.
To help you decide the best kayak paddle for fishing for you, here’s a list of the most trusted kayak paddles to buy in 2022.
Our Top Picks
Best Kayak Paddles for Fishing
- Best in Design–Werner Paddle Shuna Straight STD
- Most Portable-Advanced Elements PackLite 4 Part Paddle
- Best Blade Design-Backwater Paddles Assassin Carbon Fiber
- Best in Functionality-Pescador Adjustable Kayak Fishing Paddle
- Best Adjustable Fishing Paddle-West Marine 200-230cm Adjustable Fiberglass
1. Werner Paddle Shuna Straight STD
Best in Design
- Shaft Material: carbon
- Blade Material: fiberglass
- Overall Length: 220cm, 230cm, 240cm, 250cm
- Fiberglass reinforced nylon shaft
- Mid-sized blade
- Available in three colors: green, lime, and gold
This brand is on the list of the best fishing kayak paddles because it delivers a stiff but light padding experience. It’s constructed with lightweight materials like the lightweight fiberglass shaft and its fiberglass blade to help you get the right combination of swing weight and stiffness.
It utilizes an adjustable lever-lock system that offers three ranges of paddle height: 220-240cm, 240-260cm, and 260-280cm.
If the paddle’s length isn’t appropriate for your height, you will have a hard time paddling. Good thing, it has adjustable lengths, so you can modify the paddle’s length depending on where you’ll be comfortable.
For smoother and powerful strokes, it utilizes dihedral blades that have a flat surface that aims to minimize vibrations to better catch the water.
2. Advanced Elements PackLite 4 Part Paddle
- The dihydral, asymmetrical blade is made of glass-filled…
- Made of two shaft pieces and two blade ends, the paddle…
- Dimensions – 230 cm 90.5″ assembled length, 63.5 cm 25″…
- Utilizes carbon-reinforced nylon blades
- Adjustable feathering for both right-handed and left-handed paddlers
- Plastic sleeves for easy grip
With its paddle length of 90 inches (230cm), it can be collapsed into 4 parts to make it into 25 inches (63cm) that’s compact enough to fit in your backpack or suitcase for easy transportation and storage. If you accidentally drop this oar into the water, it has a floating mechanism so you can easily retrieve it.
There are drip rings attached to the paddle shaft to prevent excess water from running down to your arm or legs so you wouldn’t get wet while paddling. It is equipped with a durable carbon shaft and nylon blade that doesn’t bend or buckle.
3. Backwater Paddles Assassin Carbon Fiber
Best Blade Design
- Patented “hook and teeth” blade design
- Available in two different sizes: 230-240cm and 250-260cm
- Drip guards included
- Its fiberglass shaft is fade-resistant
This angler classic oar is known as the full-size version of its predecessor paddle, the Assault Hand Paddle.
For easy paddling, it features an oversized ABS injected fiberglass reinforced nylon blade that has a hook and teeth paddle design that can improve your paddling and help you launch your fishing vessel off solid surfaces.
What’s good about the blade’s design is that it has a big notch used for snagged lines. It’s also the best paddle that allows you to easily navigate, even if you are paddling in a muddy or grassy area.
4. Pescador Adjustable Kayak Fishing Paddle
Best in Functionality
- Sturdy blade design for maximum control and maneuverability…
- Adjustable range of 230 cm to 240 cm (90.5″ – 98.5″)
- Dihedral (two-planed) blade design for smooth, stable, and…
- Tape measure on the aluminum shaft so you can measure your catch immediately
- Equipped with one blade for controlled maneuverability
- Push-button and adjustable ferrule
- Line hook to avoid snagged lures
The aim of this low-angle paddle is to offer less time for paddling to increase spent time on catching. It delivers maximum control of your fishing vessel that enables you to paddle faster and farther, making it a good choice if you’re using sit-on-top kayaks.
One of the reasons why it’s on the list of the best kayak paddle for fishing is because it can withstand even the harshest underwater terrain without breakage due to its fiberglass blades and carbon fiber shaft. For optimum comfort, its length can be adjusted that ranges from 230 cm to 240 cm.
5. West Marine 200-230cm Adjustable Fiberglass
Best Adjustable Fishing Paddle
- Polyolefin grips for comfort
- Durable aluminum shaft
- Comes with a hook retrieval notch
- Equipped with a low-angle blade
If you’re not the only one using the oar, its adjustable length is an essential feature so your friends can use it no matter their height. It can be turned into a longer paddle, depending on the depth of water where you’re paddling.
For easy maneuverability, it utilizes a special handle system that allows you to know if you are observing proper paddle angle or whether you’re holding high angle paddle with low angle blades. Its length of 200cm to 230cm is just right for wider kayaks.
What Should I Look For When Buying Kayak Paddles for Fishing
For kayak anglers, the choice of the fishing kayak paddle is one of the most important accessories to invest in especially when you’re into kayak fishing rigging because it may enhance your kayaking style. The factors to focus on includes your budget, paddle material, length, and shape of the blade.
Fishing oars are priced depending on the materials used in creating them, their brand, and their features. With a lot of paddles in the market, determining the budget, you’re willing to spend would help you narrow down your choices so you can easily find the one that best suits your kayaking needs.
If you’re basing your choice depending on your budget, remember that not all expensive oars are the ones that offer great features. There are also affordable oars that aren’t only durable but also have excellent features.
The length of fishing paddles to consider doesn’t only depend on your height and your capability to maneuver it, but you also need to consider how wide your kayak is. As the rule of thumb, the wider the kayak, the longer oar you need.
You’ll be able to navigate your kayak comfortably and efficiently by choosing the right size of paddle for you. If the chosen oar is too long for your height or physique, there’s a possibility that it might fall off often, or you may face an injury.
Kayak fishing paddles are made from different materials like plastic, aluminum, fiberglass, and carbon fiber. Where your paddle is made from enhances durability, weight, performance, and price.
For a lighter and more durable oar, the one made from carbon and fiberglass is preferred, but if you are budget conscious, oars made from aluminum and plastic are more affordable.
The paddle stroke created in the water would depend on how your oar blades look. The different paddle shapes include low and high angle blades, dihedral blade, and Greenland paddle.
In kayak fishing, the great paddle is the one that’s a combination of different blade shapes for versatile use.
Whether you have the best inflatable fishing kayak or the regular kayak, the paddle greatly enhances your kayaking performance. If you’ve already found the one that will cater to your fishing needs, the next thing to do is to get used to it so you’ll be more comfortable navigating your kayak on your next paddling adventure.