Kayaking is a great way to spend time with friends and family.
However, it can be hard to get around if you don’t have the right tools for the job. If your kayak doesn’t come equipped with a trolling motor, you might not be able to navigate some of the areas where you want to go fishing or exploring.
Choose the best kayak trolling motor for you from our list below to make getting around on your kayak easy and convenient! You’ll love how easy this tool is to install and use on the water.
Our Top Picks
5 Best Kayak Trolling Motors
1. MINN-KOTA Minn Kota PowerDrive 70/US2 Trolling Motor
Best Kayak Trolling Motor
- Box Content - PowerDrive 70 lb. 60" motor with Universal...
- Redesigned Mount & Aesthetics - PowerDrive has been...
- Deploy-Assist Lever The PowerDrive Deploy-Assist lever lets...
- Deploy-Assist Lever, which lets you get in and out of the water easily
- Digital Maximizer™ that provides up to 5 times longer run time on a single battery charge
- Weedless Wedge™ 2 Prop
- Indestructible Composite Shaft
- Side-To-Side/Electric Foot Pedal for better control speed and steering
This Minn-Kota product is the system that’s built to take on whatever your day might throw at it. The powerful, reliable, and easy-to-operate system has all the technology you need to be one of the best fishing companions you’ve ever had.
More so, It’s affordable, easy to use, and has proven reliability time after time!
2. Watersnake Venom Swet Electric Trolling Motor
Best Value Trolling Motor
- STURDY SIMPLE DESIGN: Our Watersnake Venom SXW electric...
- CONTROL + FEATURES: The 34lb motors have a two-blade...
- ELECTRIC POWER: 54 lbs thrust, 12 Volt motor, 13-54 Amps /...
- Offers a two-blade or a three-blade weedless propeller
- Available in both 34 and 54-pound thrust
- Incorporates a new thicker ergonomic grip for the tiller handle
- Includes a digital voltage meter display for battery tracking
Watersnake strives to keep things simple; that’s why they concentrate on improving electric trolling motors every day. They continue to design cutting-edge, intelligent, and practical items that help you catch more fish.
On the water, Watersnake motor is one of your closest friends, supporting, aiding, and enabling you to experience those wonderful fishing moments.
3. Newport Vessels Kayak Series
- Kayak Shaft: 24-Inch Fiberglass Shaft Allows For Variable...
- Variable Speed: 8 Speeds (5 Forward & 3 Reverse) With 6-Inch...
- Saltwater Rated: Durable All Aluminum Motor Head W/...
- 24-inch shaft for the right depth displacement
- Extended cables for battery installation
- 5 Forward and 3 Reverse Speed Modes
- 5 LED light battery indicator
- Saltwater & Freshwater
Newport Vessel is one of the kayak-specific engines offered on the market. Combines high performance, with a dependable, well-made package, at a reasonable price.
Newport Vessels Kayak Series trolling motor’s whisper-quiet operation assures a covert approach, putting you right on top of fish that bigger boats can only dream of catching.
4. Newport Vessels NV-Series Trolling Motor
Best Angler Favorite Trolling Motor
- Efficient Power: 55Lb Thrust - This 12V Electric Trolling...
- Features: This Motor Features A 30 Inch Shaft, A 5 Led...
- Speed: This Motor Has 8 Speeds, 5 Forward And 3 Reverse. The...
- Thrust options range from 36lb to 86lb, and 30-inch or 36-inch shaft lengths
- 6-inch Extension handle
- 5 point LED battery indicator
- Versatile 8-speed control system
The NV Series Electric Trolling Engine is the ideal transom-mount motor for smaller boats since it is extremely adaptable and robust. This flexible, all-purpose electric trolling motor is built with the best quality components to ensure years of usage.
More so, it gives you a longer run-time without losing dependability or performance.
5. Minn Kota Endura C2 30 Freshwater Transom Mounted Trolling Motors
Best Motor for Affordability
- Lever Lock Bracket: This solid 10-position bracket features...
- Telescoping Tiller: Get easy, comfortable, intuitive...
- 5 Fwd/3 Rev Speed Settings: Five speed settings for forward...
- Lever Lock Bracket that resists flexing, warping, and UV damage
- 6-inch telescoping tiller
- Cool, Quiet Power
- Power Propeller of 3-1/4″ motor diameters
- Durable Composite Shaft
You’ve probably seen the Endura™ name on thousands of transoms throughout the years.
Minn-Kota Endura C2 is one of the most popular electric trolling motors made to explore, last, and deliver you to the fish reliably and consistently.
Things to Consider When Buying Best Trolling Motors
It is important to consider the maximum weight capacity and the boat’s space in choosing a battery. Ideally, both the batteries and the motor should have matching working current for it to work properly.
It is also important to have a power indicator to know the charge status of the kayak. Surely, you won’t like to be stranded on the ocean with a fully consumed battery just because you don’t notice it.
You may be thinking, how much power do you want for an electric trolling motor? The amount of power you’ll require is frequently determined by the size of your boat.
Kayaks are often lightweight than other kinds of boats; thus, the amount of power used would be lesser.
A 30 lbs thrust motor should be enough in lightweight boats. While a 55 lbs thrust, the motor may only be considered if the boat is a little bit heavier.
Take note that higher thrust will compensate for the weight, not on the speed of the boat.
The battery, mount, and kayak trolling motors are all elements you’ll need to have in mind. Thus, being lighter motors is an important consideration when you’re out for a day on the water.
Yes, you read that right! If you have electric trolling motors on your boat, and it’s equipped with an engine, you must register it!
It’s better to reach out to your local fisheries office to know the specific requirements your state needs.
The shafts on the kayak should be long enough to stretch from the upper edge of a boat to the water below.
The ideal length is 12-inches beneath the water. Shaft length should be enough to keep the propeller quiet while maintaining its thrust performance.
A transom mount trolling motor is preferred for kayaks as it attaches to the boat’s transom or stern. These engines propel the boat forward from the back.
Just make sure to apply a rubber sealant or liquid sealer to ensure that the drilled holes are waterproof.
Once the mount is in position, attaching the motor with the required bolts should be quite straightforward.
The items in this purchasing guide are essentially made of stainless steel aluminum, a material known to be a highly durable component. These are built to last, especially the most common enemy of metals—corrosion.
Most commercial trolling motors offer adjustable forward and reverse modes for variable speed. Through this, you can easily adjust the speed of your trolling motor to suit the current water conditions and even get more out of your battery.
Frequently Asked Questions
What size trolling motors should I use for a kayak?
Kayaks are small and light, which means you don’t need the largest trolling motors for this. Lightweight, powerful trolling motors are also easier to control, so the motor consumes less energy.
To answer how much thrust you’ll need. Ideally, an engine with 8 lbs of force would be enough for a 250 lbs person with 100 lbs of equipment and a 50 lbs kayak.
Given that, a 30 lbs thrust motor on this guide may be the best choice of electronic motor for your kayak.
Can you put any trolling motor on a kayak?
Trolling motor mount is already available on most fishing kayaks. Others, however, do not. On racing kayaks, it is not advisable to add a trolling motor.
A recreational kayak, on the other hand, should be able to accommodate a trolling engine. A trolling motor will help the angler reach their destination faster and make fishing more efficient and fun.
Kayak fishing is great for individuals who want to explore their favorite waterways.
Whether you’re a solo traveler or a couple looking for scenery together, incorporating an electric trolling motor provides both efficiency and functionality.
Get your fishing experience more affordable by choosing the best kayak motor for you. What do you think? Let us know!
The Anglers Behind This Article: