To catch fish, you’ll need a line counter reel that’ll make it easier to see in the strike zone.
It is an essential tool for any angler that allows measuring the length of fishing lines. More importantly, the best line counter reels will let you know when your bait or lure needs to be changed.
With many line counter reels in the market, you probably have a hard time choosing which is the best one for you.
To help with that, we’re sharing a list of the best line counter reels! Check out these reviews of counter reels below to find out which one best suits your needs.
8 Best Line Counter Reels
- Best Beginner Trolling Reel Kit – Okuma Magda Pro Line Counter Levelwind Trolling Reel
- Best Trolling Reel Kit for Salmon Fishing – KastKing ReKon Line Counter Trolling Fishing Reel
- Best Line Counter Reel For Depth Fishing – Daiwa Sealine Sg-3B Line Counter Reel
- Line Reel with Easy Navigation – Sougayilang Line Counter Trolling Reel
- Best Line Counter Reel for Fishing in Colder Climates – Okuma Cold Water Linecounter Trolling Reel
- Line Reel for Shallow and Deep Water Fishing – Penn Squall LevelWind
- Line Reel with Quick Release System – Okuma MA-20DLXT New Magda Linecounter Reel
- Best Lightweight line Counter Reel – OKUMA Coldwater 350 Low Profile Linecounter Reel
1. Okuma Magda Pro Line Counter Levelwind Trolling Reel
Best Beginner Trolling Reel Kit
- Side and frame lightweight, corrosion resistant
- Fully automatic line counter and level wind system
- “Slip clutch” design for best braking power when fighting big fish
- Automatic trip spool engaging mechanism and has a durable Machine cut brass gearing
Okuma Magda Pro Line Counter Levelwind Trolling Reel is great for beginners or experienced anglers who want to keep their bait in the best fishing range. It is also best for saltwater fishing and for catching fish that are 30-150 pounds.
2. KastKing ReKon Line Counter Trolling Fishing Reel
Best Trolling Reel Kit for Salmon Fishing
- Two-handle options and a double paddle handle with EVA grips
- Fishing line with lead core capacity, thick braid, or strong monofilament
- Smooth, carbon disc drag for strong drag power
This line counter reel has a good drag system that works for various fishing techniques such as trolling, jigging, and casting.
It is best to use KastKing ReKon’s reel in freshwater or saltwater environments with the appropriate line type on hand, preventing line breakage. Additionally, If you are a fan of salmon fishing for salmon, this can be useful too.
3. Daiwa Sealine Sg-3B Line Counter Reel
Best Line Counter Reel For Depth Fishing
- Heavy-duty brass gears and full Carbonite drag system for durability
- Smooth drag feature for easy operation
This reel is best used in environments where casting and certain depth are the main considerations. It also has a better drag system than other reels, which may be more of a concern when catching bigger fish or using multiple lines and braided lines.
4. Sougayilang Line Counter Trolling Reel
Line Reel with Easy Navigation
- It has a built-in foot counter, automatic self-engaging clutch, and machined aluminum spool, direct drive.
- Has a composite 3-bearing system frame
- Can cut through helical gears and clicking spool
The best thing about the Sougayilang reel is its adjustable counter. It makes it easy to set your desired depth and level, which can make trolling much easier. The downside of this product is that there are no bearings in the gears which means you may feel a lot of resistance when reeling in your line.
5. Okuma Cold Water Linecounter Trolling Reel
Best Line Counter Reel for Fishing in Colder Climates
- Built on a strong drag base with heavy-duty machine-cutting brass pine guns
- Has a twin counter-reverse system, and a complete carbonite drag system
- Okuma’s internal components are retained and ensure very long-term durability and alignment
The Okuma Cold Water Line Counter Reels are best for fishing in colder climates due to their corrosion resistance. But, you may feel more resistance when reeling in your line because there are no bearings in the gears. It can also be used in both freshwater and saltwater.
6. Penn Squall LevelWind
Line Reel for Shallow and Deep Water Fishing
- Has a sustainable design with lightweight graphite and side plates
- Has a bronze main gear and stainless pinion gear
- High-strength pinion in stainless steel for optimal smoothness
- Has an HT 100 carbon drag system that delivers powerful drag without sacrificing smoothness
Penn reel is best for those who are looking to fish in shallow or deep waters. The graphite frame makes it lighter than many of the other level wind reels on our list. It also has a single gear which means fewer points can break it down over time.
7. Okuma MA-20DLXT New Magda Linecounter Reel
Line Reel with Quick Release System
- Has a line counter for accurate fishing depth
- Durable aluminum frame with stainless steel gears
- A quick-release spool change system makes it easy to switch reels on the spot
- High-quality carbon drag washers
- Self-lubricating gear system
For anglers who want a strong, dependable line counter reel with an easy-to-use quick-release system and carbon drag washers, Okuma is for you. Its line counters make it much easier to keep your bait in the desired fishing range.
On the other hand, drag washers deliver smooth performance and a long lifespan of up to 12,000 hours without lubrication or maintenance.
8.OKUMA Coldwater 350 Low Profile Linecounter Reel
Best Lightweight line Counter Reel
- Low profile, lightweight construction
- Has a quick-release system for instant access to your best bait
- Carbon drag washers that deliver smooth performance
Okuma Coldwater 350 reel is a good choice for anglers who fish in shallow water. Trolling offshore can also come in handy if you bring this equipment.
The only downside is that the reel does not come with a spare spool of line. This best-selling Okuma Coldwater 350 Linecounter Reel features an aluminum frame and side plate design for lightweight durability.
Things to Consider When Buying a Line Counter Reel
Line counter reels are best for fishing in shallow water and not deep-sea fishing. So, when buying a line counter reel, you need to make sure that it comes with a spare line spool.
Remember that it is important to consider the best line counter reel for your needs. So, below are some things to consider when buying one:
The material of the reel will determine the weight of the rotation. Typically, aluminum and graphite are best for a lightweight design or if you need to use an ultra-sensitive lure. The budget reel also exists, but you have to check the material first.
The line capacity and line length of the best line counter reel should be high enough (high line capacity) to hold the amount of fishing line you need.
The best spinning reels are designed with a drag system that allows for quick hook setting and plenty of power in reeling fish in from a distance. So, higher line capacity is one thing you should check out first.
The drag of your line counter reel will determine the best fishing line to use with it. For instance, salmon and steelhead anglers typically need a reel with more drag power to handle larger fish.
Level wind line counter reels are designed to prevent tangles in the fishing line. It rotates the spool evenly, allowing for a more even distribution of tension on your reel and preventing you from constantly retying knots.
You can use the clickers on line counter reels to count the number of turns on your reel, which helps count fishing lines.
Manual and Electric
Line counter reels come in manual and electric types. Manual line counter reels typically only have a handle with teeth on it that counts the loops of the fishing line as they are tightened around the reel’s spool.
On the other hand, electric line reels clip onto any rod with padded jaws and a stainless hook.
Read Also: Best Fishing Line Spoolers
Frequently Asked Questions
A line counter reel is a device that counts the number of lines on your fishing reel. Line counters show you how much bait you have out when measuring. It also allows for more even distribution of tension on your best fishing reels, so they don’t get stuck as easily.
It works by counting the number of loops that are on your best fishing reels. The best line counter reel then displays this information to you through a digital display or using mechanical counters and hands, typically located in front of the best fishing poles.
In choosing the best line counter reels, consider what fishing reel you will be using.
If you are looking for a line counter with the best digital display, choose one with features such as a smooth drag system, drag supported by heavy-duty brass gears, and overall lightweight construction for durability.
We hope our top choices helped you find the right one for you!