- 10 Best Mono Fishing Lines for 2020
- 1. Ande Premium
- 2. Berkley Trilene Big Game Monofilament Fishing Line
- 3. Stren High Impact Monofilament Fishing Line
- 4. SpiderWire Ultracast Ultimate Monofilament Fishing Line
- 5. Sufix Superior 1-Pound Spool Size Fishing Line
- 6. P-Line CXX-Xtra Strong 1/4 Size Fishing Spool
- 7. Trout Magnet S.O.S. Fishing Line
- 8. SENMA Monofilament Fishing Line
- 9. GuaziV Monofilament Fishing Line
- 10. Catch Co Googan Squad Monofilament (Mono) Fishing Line
- Mono Buyer’s Guide
This list of best mono fishing lines is also suitable for backing AKA fillers onto fishing reels. Given their popularity, it is a wonder why there are a ton of options out there that may confuse even the best anglers.
The good news is that we have listed a compilation of the best monofilament lines you should look into:
10 Best Mono Fishing Lines for 2020
1. Ande Premium
- Package length: 6.096 cm
- Package width: 6.35 cm
- Package height: 6.604 cm
The Ande Premium line is the best you can get at a reasonable price. Ideal for most anglers, it is medium soft and boasts an excellent tensile and knot strength and abrasion resistance quality.
It has a small diameter, which means that it can be cast quickly and freely without dragging or adding weight as you are trying to reel in a large catch.
The Premium Ande monofilament fishing line best known to anglers is of the same quality as the tournament variety. Its excellent knot and tensile strength prevent it from wearing down quickly. It is also available in a range of colors.
2. Berkley Trilene Big Game Monofilament Fishing Line
- Shock- and abrasion-resistant monofilament fishing line
- Extreme fighting power for big game fish
- Exceptional strength, reliability, and value
Known for its immense tensile strength, the Berkley Trilene Big Game is considered the best monofilament line for serious and sports anglers. Boasting low memory, Berkley is ideal for fighting a deep crankbait fish or trying to maneuver around docks.
The durability of this monofilament line is unparalleled and gives the best monofilament fishing experience.Its unique strength is ideal for those who fish from the bank and need to maneuver their catch around brush or submerged structures.
The monofilament line’s abrasion resistance prevents breakage in the toughest of currents and withstands sharp objects. The diameter of the Berkley Trilene Big Game is a bit large to accommodate this benefit.
The Berkley Big Line was also designed with a controlled stretch making it handy in several fishing scenarios. For one thing, you will manage to feel bites immediately so you can gain control of a big fish when it is in cover easily.
Plus, the fishing line is also quite forgiving, and it has just enough stretch to allow treble hooks to remain in the mouth of a big fish as you reel it in.
3. Stren High Impact Monofilament Fishing Line
- Shock Resistant For Fighting Line-Punishing Gamefish
- Saltwater Tough For All Coastal And Offshore Fishing
Ideal for saltwater fishing, the Stren High Impact Mono line proves to be one of the best bass fishing lines. The monofilament fishing lines are known for being user-friendly and can also absorb an enormous shock, making them ideal for sports anglers.
The line is also known for its impact and abrasion resistance, which means it can last for years. Plus, it has a controlled stretch, which ensures it remains secure.
While it is not as delicate as other options, the downside does not make much of a difference in daily fishing. It can be used as a leader and can be paired with braided lines to make it more visible in aquatic surroundings. The high tensile strength only adds to its quality.
The Stren mono line also offers good memory for a year, at least, which means you won’t have to cough up more money for a new one anytime soon. It is also evident in ultra-low visibility so you can know exactly where you are casting.
All in all, the Stren monofilament line is a great all-purpose line for hobbyists and sports anglers who want to practice their fishing skills.
4. SpiderWire Ultracast Ultimate Monofilament Fishing Line
- Breakthrough strength-to-diameter co-polymer is 33% stronger...
- Unprecedented 15% stretch for incredible sensitivity and...
- New Filler Package New Smaller, Clear Spool Less Weight Less...
The Spiderwire is considered 33% stronger than the average monofilament fishing lines and for its low stretch and hook setting power. These attributes are what make it ideal for sport fishing.
Plus, it showcases immense strength and durability even when it gets weight, a benefit that few fishing lines offer. While the SpiderWire is mainly for baitcasting reels, it can also be used and cast from spinning reels.
Plus, it provides explicitly lesser stretch than fishing lines that are from nylon-made. The clear color makes these monofilament fishing lines invisible to fish. Plus, they can contain a lot of abuse without wearing out and can last for years at a stretch easily.
The thin diameter allows this best line to have exceptional bait action and high line capacity that serious anglers appreciate. It flows off the spool nicely, but it doesn’t seem to have a lot of memory. Plus, the fishing line is more supple than fluoro line and just as strong and durable in harsh conditions.
5. Sufix Superior 1-Pound Spool Size Fishing Line
- Superior mono rated top line by "The Professional's of Sport...
- Incredibly strong-Superior line and leaders rank among the...
- Incredibly tough and abrasion resistant
The Suffix monofilament lines are known for their superior strength and durability when fishing big game in harsh conditions. Besides being incredibly tough and well-known for its abrasion resistance, the Sufix fishing line ranks relatively high when it comes to tensile strength.
It has also been rated the top line in the 130 lbs class by none other than The Professionals of Sport Fishing magazine. Besides being incredibly tough, the abrasion-resistant line features fast recovery, strength, low memory, and excellent hook setting power.
These characteristics make it one of the best lines for both novices and veteran anglers and particularly for saltwater fishing.
6. P-Line CXX-Xtra Strong 1/4 Size Fishing Spool
- Super abrasion resistant
- Unbelievable shock absorption
- High breaking strength
The P-Line CXX-Xtra Strong fishing spool is not only shock-resistant but also abrasion-resistant, making it the best line for catching large fish such as tuna and largemouth and even monster salmon. This is often the best line of choice for tournament anglers, mainly due to its strength to diameter ratio.
Most anglers prefer the crystal clean P-Line because it is ideal for any condition anglers can find themselves in. Tournament anglers prefer the green P-Line, especially if they have to catch salmon or steelhead.
Plus, it is obtainable in a range of colors, which adds to its appeal. The moss green color is translucent in the aquatic conditions. The introduction of the smoke blue P-Line allows anglers more choice when they are fishing in saltwater.
7. Trout Magnet S.O.S. Fishing Line
- Style Name: 2lb Test
- The problem is - it is difficult to find a light line with...
The Trout Magnet S.O.S. fishing line is the go-to line for pan fishing and light line fishing. The smooth copolymer line is highly resistant to abrasion and boasts immense knot strength, making it a favorite with anglers.
As one of the best lines for trout, it is more robust than others in the market and offers greater casting distance in comparison as well.
The Trout Magnet is also known for its color, which can virtually disappear in water and remain undetectable to fish until it is too late. It is ideal in most aquatic conditions and even in brackish/ saltwater, where visibility is almost zero.
The S.O.S. also boasts minimal to no stretch. It has low memory and can withstand nicks and patches with ease. Its knot strength is also second to none, and the spool has enough lines to fill a reel twice.
All in all, the Trout Magnet S.O.S. is THE go-to mono line if you want to ensure your casts remain steadfast, and you can catch big fish without losing precious lines in the struggle.
8. SENMA Monofilament Fishing Line
- Premium Japanese Material: Made of 100% high-tech Japanese...
- Great Tensile Strength & Abrasion Resistant: Features great...
- Low Memory & Low Absorption: Easy to recover after spooling...
The SENMA is ideal for many anglers who want to get their next big catch quickly. This mono line is known for being abrasion resistant in the most challenging conditions (such as underwater brush or pylons).
While it is true that this low memory fishing line is abrasion resistant, it is not rough. The SENMA has low memory, which adds to its appeal and durability. It is also one of the fast sinking and super sensitive lines in the market, which show a more natural presentation. It is available in 3 rich colors.
9. GuaziV Monofilament Fishing Line
- New advanced technology and superior nylon material - strong...
- Adopt high density mixed production method, it mainly...
- Smoothest finish, reduce the friction with the guide ring...
The making of GuaziV mono fishing line uses advanced technology and super-strong nylon material, which makes it 30% stronger than other cables. Highly abrasion-resistant, it is the best line for challenging fishing conditions.
Due to its high tensile and superior water cutting capabilities, it is the go-to best monofilament fishing line of choice for many anglers. The fishing line is ideal for catching difficult fish such as crappies, bass, and trout since its low visibility allows it to easily blend into the water.
It also offers longer casting distances and has a natural swing in the water so you won’t spook the fish. It also has high knot strength, making it invaluable for experimental anglers who like to experiment with different fishing knots to determine their usefulness.
10. Catch Co Googan Squad Monofilament (Mono) Fishing Line
- VERSATILE: This is a multi-purpose line great for multiple...
- STRETCH: This line stretches more than most giving you a...
- FLOATING: This line is a floating line making it a great...
The versatile Catch Co Googan Squad is a line that can be trusted to deliver when it counts most. It can easily catch several different types of fish in different situations and aquatic conditions. Plus, the line can stretch more than most others and float on top of the surface, which makes it perfect for topwater lures and suspended baits.
The Catch Go Googan Squad line is not only strong enough to withstand tough Texas rigs but also small enough for float fishing. It is available in several test strengths, each of which has its own benefits.
For example, the 6lb line is ideal for catching pan and trout fish and can be used with small cranks, live bait, and spinners, while the 8lb line is suitable for multi-species angling and strong enough for small Texas rigs as well.
The 12lb line is ideal for pond fishing and can be used with poppers, jigs, and soft plastics to attract bass. The uses of 15lb line are usually with spinnerbaits, topwater baits, and even poppers.
Mono Buyer’s Guide
While the mono mentioned above lines are the best ones you can get, if you want to shop and choose on your own, consider these features:
The best mono fishing line should be resistant to abrasions, especially around submerged objects such as pylons, coral, and thick seaweed. Otherwise, it will just end up fraying and breaking in the long run.
It is a single piece of plastic or nylon that is stretched and set out in a thin tube to end up with one that is weak quickly. Make sure to check out reviews beforehand to prevent this.
Some best mono fishing lines have good shock strength (i.e., they can absorb shocks reasonably well), so consideration of this when you are shopping for one is a must. This feature comes into play when the line has to remain steadfast against a large hookset or a large fish as it thrashes around and tries to get free.
Knot Tying and Stretch
Mono stretches more than superline, which can make knot tying easier. In other words, you can tie several knots (such as the Palomar or Trilene knot) without sacrificing the strength of the line.
The stretch makes it more forgiving than fluoro lines, so if your drag sticks or the hook sets too firmly, mono can compensate by stretching by 25% or more than that, preventing the hook from tearing out of a fish’s mouth when it is trying to get off the hook or thrashing about in the water.
The line for best monofilament fishing is easier to tint by manufacturers compared to other types of lines. This is why you have a range of stealth options to low visibility to high visibility colors such as green or clear.
Mono vs. Fluoro – When to Use Which?
Most anglers prefer mono and fluorocarbon lines, but you may have trouble deciding which one to choose if you are a novice. Here are some things that descerns the two:
- Fluorocarbon lines do not absorb water readily, allowing them to maintain their strength. It is also denser than liquid, which reduces line slack and sinks easily so your bait can drop down quickly to the bottom.
- In comparison, mono lines are light enough to float on the water and absorb them for more slack, making it ideal for topwater lures.
- Fluorocarbon is more abrasion resistant than most mono lines and has limited stretch, making it highly sensitive. It is also U.V. resistant, which adds to its overall lifeline.
- In comparison, mono lines have their shock-absorbing capabilities, especially for hard-hitting strikes. Still, since it absorbs water, even the best monofilament fishing lines can weaken in time.
- Fluorocarbon is quite transparent in the water, which makes it almost invisible to fish. Mono lines of choice are available in a range of colors to suit several fishing conditions.
- When it comes to cost, fluorocarbon is more expensive than mono due to its higher quality. However, nylon mono lines are used by seasoned anglers and remain the line of choice for them because it is so inexpensive.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is Mono or Fluoro better?
A: The answer depends on the fishing conditions you usually find yourself in and your budget. See the guide mentioned above to determine your choice.
Q: Does mono or fluoro float?
A: Fluoro sinks, making it ideal for deepwater fishing while mono and braided lines float is useful for topwater lures.
Q: Does the paint color of the fishing line matter?
A: Yes, it does when it comes to lures. A fishing line has to blend in with the aquatic surrounding, or the fish will spot it from a mile away. Whether used in brackish or saltwater or murky conditions, the best ones are clear or transparent.
Q: Which color fishing line is the best?
A: Green is the best color you can choose for a fishing line. It can blend into its surroundings easily and become almost invisible to fish. However, if you are fishing in crystal clear aquatic conditions, you should go for other varieties.
Q: Which line is best for beginners?
A: Monofilament is the best fishing line for you if you are a novice angler. Besides being inexpensive compared to other varieties, it is also easy to manage, which a beginner such as yourself will appreciate. It is extremely effortless to work with, but don’t expect to see long-distance hooksets with it. The line can dry out and start to the coil as time goes by, making casting impossible. So make sure that you use it plenty of times and regularly.
The Anglers Behind This Article: