Are you looking for a top-notch, long-lasting battery for your electric vehicle? Then look no further!
We’ve rounded up 5 of the best onboard battery chargers! These onboard marine battery chargers have been tried and tested and backed by several customer satisfaction!
Looking for the best onboard battery charger for you or as a gift for boat captains? Continue reading this review guide!
Our Top Picks
5 Best On-Board Battery Chargers
- Best Automatic Charger – ProMariner 43012 ProSport 12 12 Amp
- Best for Battery Life Maintenance – ProMariner ProTournament 360elite Quad Charger
- Best Waterproof Charger for Saltwater – Minn Kota Precision On-Board Charger
- Best for All Types of Sporting Applications – Dual Pro 15 Amp/Bank Professional Series 3 Bank Charger
- Best Precision Chargers for Underwater – The Noco Company Onboard Charger
1. ProMariner 43012 ProSport 12 12 Amp
Best Automatic Charger
- 2 Year Warranty
- Energy Saver Mode
- Storage Recondition Mode
- With energy saver and storage recondition modes
- Automatic marine charger
- Portable built-in quality and safety
- Charges batteries for a short time
ProMariner 43012 ProSport is an onboard automatic battery charger that can charge batteries for a shorter time. This charger safely maintains and conditions batteries to allow maximum time on the water.
2. ProMariner ProTournament 360elite Quad Charger
Best for Battery Life Maintenance
- Same Day Shipping on Request
- Best Value and Performance in its Class
- Charges marine batteries three times faster than traditional chargers
- With automatic multi-stage charging process
- Extends battery life
- Has a digital LED display that shows battery status
- With a waterproof fan for air cooling
ProMariner ProTournament 360elite quad charger is an efficient charger that can charge two to three times faster than your traditional chargers.
It features a digital LED screen that displays charge mode indicators, battery power, and your batteries’ real-time charge level status.
This quad charger also has a waterproof fan that allows maximum air cooling and fast charging.
The ProMariner quad charger is compatible with standard flooded HP AGM batteries, HP AGM1, and HP AGM2 for pure lead gel and AGM batteries.
3. Minn Kota Precision On-Board Charger
Best Waterproof Charger for Saltwater
- Features: rugged waterproof and shock-resistant construction
- Features: digital control for a faster, more precise charge
- Includes: AC plug holder; plus a 3-year replacement Warranty
- Designed with waterproof, shock, vibration-resistant aluminum construction
- Corrosion and saltwater-resistant
- With advanced protective and custom charging features
- With battery equalization to protect battery health
Minn Kota Precision Charger is a waterproof and durable charger made with aluminum construction. It has passed the saltwater test and is also vibration and corrosion-resistant.
This product also has advanced protective features that protect short circuits, reverse polarity, arc, and ignition.
Minn Kota Precision chargers also enable automatic battery equalization that helps clean and protects batteries.
They also have a custom charging feature that allows users to select the battery type to customize charging settings to the settings needed by the specific battery.
This durable charger works with 12 to 48-volt systems of starved electrolyte or flooded lead-acid batteries. Gel batteries are also compatible with this product.
4. Dual Pro 15 Amp/Bank Professional Series 3 Bank Charger
Best for All Types of Sporting Applications
- Perfect purchase for a gift
- Great craftmanship
- A must buy item
- Perfect for inland and saltwater watercraft, motorcycles, golf carts, utility vehicles
- Allows anglers to stay on the water for a longer time
- Great for a variety of fishing and recreational boating activities
Dual Pro 15 Amp/Bank Professional Series 3 Charger is a reliable and safe charger for professional anglers.
This charger allows boaters to stay long on the water while also extending the battery life. It can also be used for other sports such as motorcycles, golf carts, and utility vehicles.
Best Precision Chargers for Underwater
- Meet the GENIUS2D – A direct-mount onboard battery charger…
- Do more with Genius – Designed for 12-volt sealed lead-acid…
- Direct Mount – Securely mounts nearby the battery with its…
- Compatible with marine, starter, boat, and deep-cycle 12-volt batteries
- With charging modes that can easily be independently-controlled
- Repair mode for all types of lithium-ion and lead-acid batteries
- Mounting system for easy installation
- IP68 Waterproof rating
The NOCO Company Charger is a lightweight charger compatible with almost all lithium-ion and lead-acid batteries.
Its charging modes allow users to control each charging bank when multiple batteries are charging independently.
This advanced charger allows precision charging with an integrated thermal sensor that adjusts to the temperature and climate of the surroundings.
It also has a simplified mounting system for quick installation. This onboard charger is also noise, vibration, and shock-resistant.
Things to Consider When Buying the Best Onboard Battery Charger
Size may be easy to forget and be overlooked when looking for a marine battery charger that needs to fit your space. Before purchasing one, it’s better to measure the space allotted for your charger.
When choosing onboard marine battery chargers, it’s always best to check onboard chargers compatible with different battery types.
- Digital – Digital chargers are only compatible with gel, AGM, and older flooded-cell tech batteries.
- Precision – These chargers are more expensive than digital ones. With precision chargers, you are allowed to select the battery type on each bank to maintain the health of your batteries.
- Lithium-Ion – Lithium-ion batteries need specialized chargers; it’s best to contact the battery manufacturers if you have these types of batteries.
Multi-stage charging is an advanced technology that helps you get the most out of your battery. It’s a quick way to boost performance and prolong battery life.
With multi-stage charging, users can assess the battery first before choosing the best charging setting for it.
Distributed charging is a very efficient way of charging marine batteries because this allows extra power to be distributed to a bank where it is needed. It can lead to an even faster battery charging.
Automatic Temperature Compensation
Choosing marine battery chargers with automatic temperature compensation is a good way to maintain battery performance and health.
With automatic temperature compensation, chargers can adjust and adapt to the temperature of the surroundings to prevent your batteries from overheating when the mercury rises.
Low-line Voltage Compensation
Marine battery chargers with low-line voltage compensation ensure that your batteries charging at once are getting the voltage level they all need.
Low-line voltage compensation allows the voltage to be distributed according to just how much your battery needs when charging.
Number of Banks
Choosing the right charger also means choosing the one with sufficient banks to supply your onboard batteries. If you have enough banks on your charger, you can charge all the boat batteries you use while you are on the water.
Onboard Battery Charging Basics
Amperage and Recovery Time
The amperage and recovery time are important features, especially when you angle and go out on the water for multiple days in a row.
The recovery time refers to the rate at which your batteries become fully recharged after being completely drained. Amperage refers to the number of amperes your charger can supply your batteries while they’re charging.
The higher the amps per bank, the faster the recovery time will be. If you are an angler who angles for consecutive days, a charger with high amperage is perfect for you.
However, if angling is only a form of recreation for you, chargers with slow recovery times are fine.
Banks referred to chargers and on batteries are not the same. A bank of batteries refers to a group of connected batteries on one single trolling motor.
On the other hand, charger banks refer to ports where batteries can be connected to multiple battery charging.
When selecting a charger, choose one with an adequate number of banks for all your battery types, including starting battery.
For example, a three-bank charger is better than a two-bank charger because it can charge more batteries simultaneously compared to the latter.
Marine Battery Chargers Just For You
Onboard marine chargers are perfect for easing the hassle when you need to charge your onboard batteries.
When choosing the right charger for you, always consider the different features you need to find a charger worth its price.
After reading this article, we hope you have found the best onboard battery chargers. What do you think? Let us know!