How do you charge your marine battery?
Most people use a standard 12V charger that plugs into the wall. While this is convenient, the problem with this approach is that it’s slow and can cause damage to your battery over time.
There are faster marine chargers out there, but they’re big and bulky. To help you, we’ve rounded up the best portable marine battery charger that won’t take up space in your boat or on your dock like other models will.
Our Top Picks
7 Best Portable Marine Battery Charger
1. The Noco Company Pro Series 15A Portable Smart Battery Charger
Best Portable Automatic Marine Battery Charger
- Automatic battery charger for 12V and 24V
- Can charge both lithium-ion and lead-acid batteries for up to 400 amp-hours
- Can recover deep cycle battery
- Spark-proof technology with reverse polarity protection
- Can recover worn-out batteries
Noco Company Pro Series 15A battery charger is an automatic battery charger for 12V and 24V flooded lead-acid batteries.
It can monitor battery health and performance and has a built-in battery desulfator to help recover old and deep cycle batteries. This charger also has a JumpCharge mode to charge dead batteries in a five-minute cycle rapidly.
2. West Marine 30 Amp Automatic Battery Charger
Best Battery Charger for All Types of Vehicles
- Compatible with GEL, AGM batteries
- Can fire up your vehicle in 90seconds with Patented Engine Start
- For motorhomes, jet skis, lawn tractors, and motorcycles
- With advanced 3-stage charging
West Marine 30 Amp Automatic Battery Charger is an advanced automatic battery charger with three charging stages — from Bulk to Absorption and top off. This charger works on motor homes, jet skis, lawn tractors, and even generators that have been idle for months.
This highly advanced battery charger has a LED screen that displays charging status with easy-to-understand icons. West Marine Automatic Battery Charger also has a patented engine start to jump-start your vehicle in just 8 minutes.
3. Xantrex TRUEcharge2 Portable Battery Charger
Best Marine Battery Charger with Universal Input Voltage
- Compatible with flooded, GEL, AGM, and lead-calcium batteries
- With an auto-ranging universal input voltage
- Compatible with generator and other low-quality power sources
- Very lightweight, making it possible to be mounted anywhere, including limited spaces
- Can charge drained wet batteries
Xantrex TRUEcharge2 is a marine battery charger that has a small footprint and compact design. It is the charger of choice for almost any divide, including low-quality power sources.
This charger has a 3-stage charge cycle and can be mounted anywhere because it is very small and portable.
4. Schumacher DSR131 DSR ProSeries
Best for Deep Cycle Battery-Charger
- Charges standard, AGM and Gel and deep-cycle batteries
- 50A boost mode quickly brings deeply discharged battery back...
- 6V/12V 250A Voltage
- Can charge standard, AGM, gel-type, and deep cycle battery
- Fast charging with 50A boost mode
- Intelligent battery charging
- With a digital display, LED indicators, and push buttons
- With microprocessor to easily control amperage for charging and maintenance
The Schumacher DSR131 pro-series is a heavy-duty smart charger that can charge standard, AGM, gel-type, and deep-cycle batteries. It has multi-stage charging that ensures the safety and precision of your battery life.
Schumacher DSR131 is a sleek and modern-looking charger with a digital display and LED indicators and push-button controls. It’s made with a microprocessor that automatically controls and adjusts the amperage rate to match your needs.
5. ProMariner Gen 3 ProSport
Best Lightweight Marine Battery Charger
- The 12/24/36V, 20 Amp, 3 battery bank ProSport 20 Plus...
- Distributed on Demand Technology utilizes 100% of the...
- Advanced technology eliminates time consuming...
- Waterproof battery charger with lightweight design
- Allows multiple fast and efficient charging
- Reconditions all batteries once a month for improved performance and battery life.
- Rugged aluminum design
ProMariner Gen 3 ProSport is a waterproof battery charger that can charge multiple batteries all at once for faster and more reliable charging. It is made with a compact, rugged aluminum design with a digital LED display and battery-type selectors.
This marine charger can recondition batteries on board once a month to maintain their performance and maximum life when kept in storage.
6. NOCO Genius
Best Underwater Battery Charger
- Meet the GEN5X2 - Similar to our GENM2, only better. It's...
- Multiple banks - A two-bank onboard battery charger rated a...
- Charging modes - Independently charge and control each...
- 8 amp onboard battery charger that can charge and maintain two 12-volt batteries
- Can charge batteries that are lead-acid, wet, gel
- With spark-proof technology and reverse polarity protection
- With an ip68 rating allowing it to be submerged until 4 meters
- With rugged and waterproof construction
NOCO Genius is a high-technology waterproof battery charger that is mainly designed to survive tough marine environments. It has a fully-sealed waterproof housing that allows it to be submerged underwater for up to three meters.
This high-tech marine charger had advanced features such as spark-proof technology, reverse polarity, thermal and ignition protection.
Aside from battery charging, NOCO Genius monitors your batteries, detecting any problems and shutting down when your battery is fully charged.
7. Minn Kota Digital On-Board Battery Charger
Best Onboard Marine Battery Charger
- Part Number: 1822105
- Oem Equivalent Part Number: 702089
- Fit Type: Universal Fit
- A universal fit onboard charger
- Multi-stage smart charging with automatic temperature compensation
- Fully corrosion-resistant and saltwater tested
- Microprocessor digitally designed to protect your batteries onboard.
Minn Kota Digital Onboard marine battery charger is designed with a digital microprocessor that monitors your battery condition to allow you to stay on the water for a longer period.
This popular onboard marine charger has an automatic shut-off feature that helps to prevent overcharging and prevents the battery from being damaged.
This smart onboard battery charger also monitors temperature changes, charging state, and battery status.
Other features of this charger include multi-stage charging and automatic temperature compensation for more accurate charges without damaging your battery health.
Things to Consider When Buying a Portable Marine Battery Charger
While you look for the right marine battery charger for you, you should also look at the right voltage your battery needs. Most marine batteries are 12V, but other batteries have different voltages.
When you look for a battery charger, you can choose to buy those that can charge with different voltages and charge 6V and 12V. Many battery charges can automatically switch between different voltages.
You should know what battery types you have that would require charging. Some types of batteries are lead-acid, AGM, gel, and lithium-ion, and they all have different charging needs.
You should be aware of the specifications of your batteries to avoid damaging them. Some can charge different batteries, so you might want to look at those.
The recovery time of different batteries also depends on their type and how long they have been discharged.
When you look for a marine battery charger, it is best to find one that can jump-start a deeply discharged battery in just a matter of minutes, especially when you badly need to turn on your device while on water.
Marine battery chargers with advanced safety features are better than those without. An important safety feature is reverse polarity which protects users.
Many chargers specify their safety features, so it’s better to look at those features one by one. Other key features involve protection against over current, voltage, and temperature.
Durability is an important feature, especially when you need your battery charger underwater. Best marine battery chargers should be waterproof quality chargers that are highly durable to be able to survive even underwater.
Durable chargers ensure that you can use them for a long time regardless of what device or vehicle you will charge with them.
Many boat battery chargers have rapid charging technology depending on your battery size and type. It is recommended that you choose the charger that offers a quick charging process and easy jump-start so that you can use your device or equipment immediately after charging.
Chargers with multiple battery banks are better to simultaneously charge numerous batteries if there is a need to do so.
This handy device will also save you the time of waiting for each battery to finish charging before you can charge another one.
This feature is important, especially when you need a charger to bring when boating or sailing.
Lightweight and compact battery chargers will save you the effort to carry them since they are lighter. Look for those that also offer you other good features and specifications.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best way to charge a marine battery?
The best way to charge a marine battery is to look for a charger that can match it. When a charger is designed to charge a marine battery, it is waterproof and withstands moisture and temperature changes.
Do I need a special charger for a marine battery?
No, you don’t. As long as the battery charger matches the battery type, then it’s fine. However, if you look for a portable charger specifically designed for a marine battery, it is usually water-resistant.
So if you want to bring your charger with you while on the water, consider looking for marine battery chargers.
What is the best amperage to charge a marine battery?
This question depends on the type of marine battery. Marine deep-cycle batteries usually last the longest and charge the fastest when charged within the ideal charging curve.