If you’re looking for the best saltwater trolling motor on the market, look no further! In this post, we’ll share with you our top seven picks for the best trolling motors available.
With years of experience fishing in saltwater environments, we can confidently say that any of these motors will serve you well.
So what are you waiting for? Get started finding your perfect trolling motor today!
7 Best Saltwater Trolling Motor
- Best Wireless Trolling Motor with LED Display – MotorGuide Wireless Saltwater Bow Mount Trolling Motor
- Best Motor for Hand-Steering – Minn Kota Riptide Fortrex Saltwater Bow-Mount Trolling Motor
- Best Motor with CoPilot Control – Minn Kota 1363762 Riptide Terrova Trolling Motor
- Best Motor with Deploy Assist Lever – Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive Saltwater Trolling Motor
- Best Wireless Motor for Inflatable Kayak and Bass Fishing – AQUOS Haswing Bow Mount Trolling Motor
- Best Transom Mounted Saltwater Electric Trolling Motor – Newport Vessels X-Series Saltwater Electric Trolling Motor
- Best Transom Mount Electric Trolling Motor for Kayaking – Newport Vessels Kayak Series Saltwater Electric Trolling Motor
1. MotorGuide Wireless Saltwater Bow Mount Trolling Motor
Best Wireless Trolling Motor with LED Display
- Wireless handheld control operation
- With LED dashboard for status monitoring
- Compatible with Pinpoint GPS with bow mounts
- Advanced features fully protected in a high-tech coating
- Delivers 55 pounds of peak thrust with composite shaft and glass-filled propeller
The MotorGuide Wireless Saltwater Bow Mount Motor is a high-tech trolling motor that features wireless handheld control for easy motor operation.
It also has an easy-to-read LED dashboard to allow anglers to check the motor status in any light conditions easily.
More so, this wireless saltwater motor is compatible with the industry’s most accurate GPS, the Pinpoint GPS, which provides better precision control and a more secure anchor point hold.
The electronics of this trolling motor are fully encased in a high-tech coating to protect them from water and dust.
2. Minn Kota Riptide Fortrex Saltwater Bow-Mount Trolling Motor
Best Motor for Hand-Steering
- Hand-controlled trolling motor with extruded mono-arm design
- Has patented Lift-Assist with stainless steel and nitrogen gas-charged spring
- With a removable Bowguard 360 bracket
- With a Minn Kota’s Digital Maximizer Feature
- Electronics are encapsulated in a corrosion-protected casing
- Has a 52″ proper shaft length
The Minn Kota Riptide Fortrex has a hand-controlled trolling motor that lets anglers maneuver the motor quietly with less wear for longer motor health.
Its Lift-Assist design is patented with stainless steel and nitrogen-charged springs to cut the weight of stow-and-deploy.
More so, the removable Bowguard 360 bracket allows interrupted angling. With the Minn Kota’s Digital Maximizer feature, the trolling motor enables anglers to dial the exact speed and utilizes only the speed the motor needs.
The electronics of this trolling motor are encapsulated in anti-corrosive casings to ensure saltwater defense.
3. Minn Kota 1363762 Riptide Terrova Trolling Motor
Best Motor with CoPilot Control
- With CoPilot remote control
- Grit-blasted unit housings coated with aluminum and powder coat paint
- Equipped with digital maximizer for longer battery runtime
- With Weedless Wedge 2 Prop for a better angling experience
The Minn Kota 1363762 Riptide Terrova is an advanced bow-mount motor with a CoPilot control, push-commands motor speed, and steering.
It also has grit-blasted riptide motor unit housings coated with aluminum to prevent rust and oxidation.
More so, it’s equipped with the Digital Maximizer to protect battery health on a single charge. With the Weedless Wedge 2 Prop feature, this motor lets you enjoy angling all day.
4. Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive Saltwater Trolling Motor
Best Motor with Deploy Assist Lever
- Designed with a deploy assist lever
- Equipped with an original CoPilot control
- Made with Weedless Wedge 2 Prop with swept-back flared blessed
- Motor lower unit housings are grit-blasted coated in aluminum
- With the Minn Kota Digital Maximizer
The Minn Kota Powerdrive is a next-level saltwater motor designed with an assist lever that lets anglers go easily in and out of water.
Its compact and waterproof CoPilot remote control has push-button commands for speed and steering control.
The motor lower unit of Minn Kota Powerdrive is fully encapsulated in grit-blasted casings coated in aluminum and an added protective layer of paint.
It is also equipped with a digital minimizer to allow maximum function while maintaining battery health.
5. AQUOS Haswing Bow Mount Trolling Motor
Best Wireless Motor for Inflatable Kayak and Bass Fishing
- Equipped with a lightweight wireless remote control that fits perfectly in the palm
- Features cruise control to keep boats at the desired speed
- Its shaft is compatible with freshwater and saltwater fishing
- Portable with its ergonomic lifting handle with foot control
- Cruiste control (not spot lock)
The AQUOS Haswing Bow Mount Motor works best with inflatable kayaks and fresh and saltwater bass fishing.
Its lightweight and compact wireless remote control can be easily attached with a lanyard.
More so, its cruise control can help keep boats at desired speed with the help of push-button commands on the remote.
Turning the motor 180 degrees will enable the boat to turn in a reverse direction. The shaft of this motor is made with aluminum alloy that’s comfortable to lift and carry.
Additionally, the motor stow and deploy foot pedal can easily be depressed using a single hand or foot, making smooth transitions between the boat and water.
6. Newport Vessels X-Series Saltwater Electric Trolling Motor
Best Transom Mounted Saltwater Electric Trolling Motor
- With a 55lb thrust and adjustable composite fiberglass shaft with heavy duty nylon mount
- Designed with a 10-point LED battery power indicator
- For inflatable boats, kayaks, tenders, and aluminum angling boats
- Equipped with a variable speed motor control system
The Newport Vessels X-Series electric reliable motor features a 55lb thrust making it perfect for all-around use.
This transom mount trolling motor has a bright LED battery meter display of a Lead-Acid deep cycle or marine battery.
More so, the 8-speed control system of this electric motor has a 3-blade propeller for improved performance.
7. Newport Vessels Kayak Series Saltwater Electric Trolling Motor
Best Transom Mount Electric Trolling Motor for Kayaking
- With a 24-inch fiberglass kayak shaft
- Designed with 8 speeds and a 6-inch telescopic handle for total foot control
- Made of an all-aluminum motorhead with advanced corrosion protection
- With 5’6” long battery cables and transom mounts
The Newport Vessels NV Series Kayak Trolling Motor is designed for all types of canoes and kayaks. Its 24-inch fiberglass shaft is adjustable to allow for proper depth placement.
More so, this kayak motor has very long battery cables for versatile battery placements. It also has 8 different speeds for maximum motor control and a smooth ride.
This powerful trolling motor is designed with corrosion-resistant stainless steel, zinc anode, and a fiberglass-reinforced nylon propeller. It’s one of the best variable speed trolling motors.
Things to Consider When Buying Saltwater Trolling Motor
1. Boat Size
The size of your boat is one of the main things you’ll need to consider when purchasing a trolling motor.
If you have a small boat, then you’ll need a smaller trolling motor. Conversely, if you have a large boat, then you’ll need a larger trolling motor.
2. Hand or Foot-Controlled
The decision of whether to purchase a motor that’s hand or foot-controlled also depends on your preference.
Hand-controlled motors allow you full control of the speed and positioning of your vehicle and its rotation direction.
On the other hand, foot-controlled trolling motors allow hands-free motion, which is ideal when you need your hands to hold the angling pole.
They are easy to operate but may take more space than hand-controlled motors.
Motors with longer battery life are better than those which require you to charge more often.
If you plan to stay on the water for a long period, choose motors offering maximum power with the battery not draining immediately.
A good trolling motor is also one that can draw only as much power from different sources such as gas, electricity, solar, and battery.
4. Salt Resistance
A motor optimized for brackish water lets you go fishing in a salty ocean without changing out the motor every time you go out.
Choose the trolling motor offering corrosion resistance and stainless-steel hardware not to wear down and get damaged easily.
When it comes to trolling motors, you’ll get what you pay for. The expensive trolling motors are usually of higher quality and last longer than the less expensive ones.
There are some great deals to be found on trolling motors, so be sure to shop around before making your purchase.
Frequently Asked Questions
Saltwater trolling motor works like most trolling motors for freshwater do but with added features.
One of the main features of a saltwater motor that a freshwater trolling motor does not have is the ability to survive salty and brackish waters.
Saltwater motors are equipped with heavy-duty materials like stainless steel that are corrosion resistant to prevent rusting and oxidizing when submerged in saltwater, unlike freshwater motors.
Motor mounts should be placed as close as possible to the center of the stern.
This prevents the trolling motor from interfering with the main motor operation and enhances the angler’s safety.
Determining how much thrust you need for your boat depends mainly on the boat weight.
Generally, you need at least two pounds of thrust for every 100 pounds of a fully-loaded boat, including your angling gear and yourself.
If your angling location involves strong winds and currents, you will also need extra thrust.
Are You Ready for Your Saltwater Trolling Trip?
Saltwater trolling motors are just what you need when you plan your next angling trip on saltwater. These motors will help you get the best angling experience you need.
After reading this trolling motor review article, we hope you have found the best saltwater trolling motor for your boat. Let us know!