Kayaks can be a great way of getting into areas you might not be able to get to with an ordinary boat or on foot.
The best sit on top kayaks offer you this ability while not being confined in a small area, such as inside a fishing canoe.
If you have ever ridden in a canoe, you know it can get quite uncomfortable after a period of time. Imagine fishing from one!
Sit-on-top kayaks can take some getting used to but they have some very good points to them. They allow you to get to areas that may not have been fished in a very long time. They are lightweight, and easy to handle.
Best of all, they’re affordable!
Kayaks can be customized in many different ways to fit your needs and preferences. Most customizations are fairly inexpensive when compared to customizing a boat.
In this article, I am going to cover several of the best sit on top kayaks, how to care for them, their features, how to use them, and much more!
What Is a Sit on Top Kayak?
Sit on top kayaks have similar hull shapes to their traditional counterparts. But instead of sitting inside the kayak, you sit on a molded depression on top of the kayak.
Sit-on kayaks are usually wider, which makes them more stable and less prone to tip over. This makes them a great option for a beginner.
This is especially more comfortable for a person with a larger body type or that is tall. It gives you more freedom of movement.
The 2-man sit on top kayak is among one of the more popular Kayaks. Someone that does not have a lot of experience with kayaks can opt to start with the starter kayak.
Best Sit on Top Kayak Sizes
Kayaks range in size from a 1 person sit on top kayak to a 12 foot sit on top kayak. Size really depends on your needs and how you will be using your kayak.
There are many brands of kayaks on the market. These different brands cater to different types of users.
From anglers to adventurers to explorers, there is a brand and model to fit your needs. These kayaks can also be easily outfitted to accommodate your activity.
Most of the “plastic” kayaks you see today are made of rotomolded polyethylene, a tough, flexible and relatively soft plastic. In this process, the resin pellets are pulverized into powder and the appropriate amount is poured into an aluminum two-part mold. It is then closed and basically ‘tumbled’ in an oven.
Why Plastic is Tough
Do not let the word ”plastic” give you the impression these kayaks are not tough. This is some of the most impact-resistant material on the market today.
Many manufacturers such as Ascend FS12t sit-on-top angler kayak are manufactured with the fisherman in mind. While the academy sports kayak has the explorer in mind.
A great feature to many of the sit on top kayak models on the market is the scupper holes in the kayak make sure it never fills up with water. Water splashing over the deck of the kayak will automatically drain out.
How to Care for Your Sit on Top Kayak
Taking care of your sit on top kayak is one of the most important things you can do to ensure it will last for years to come.
There are only a few simple steps you need to take. If you use your kayak in the saltwater, you will want to give it a good rinse after you get out of the water.
If your kayak is dirty enough to need a more intense wash, you can use a mild soap and soft brush. Then rinse thoroughly.
Make sure to completely dry your Kayak before storing. You can wipe dry or let it set out and air dry.
It is the best idea to make sure you store your kayak in the dry, and not leave outside and exposed to the elements.
Best Sit on Top Kayaks for Fishing
1. Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 120T
Best Sit on Top Kayak
This Kayak handles well with one or two people. It has four handles for an easy moment on land as well.
Pole holders are great and it comes with four addition mounting options for accessories. Inside there are great cup holders and a fairly roomy with water-resistant space for storage.
- 2-person sit on the top fishing kayak – 12 ft 72 lbs 2-person kayak – perfect for fishing, travel, or family recreation – 500-pound weight capacity
- 2 flush mount rod holders with caps and 4 Mounting points for Scotty, RAM, or Railblaza mount rod holders.
- Two sealed hatches with built-in cup holders for safe housing of smaller items. And rear cargo area with bungee tie-down straps for larger gear
- Two paddle parks to help secure paddles when not in use, preventing lost overboard paddles.
- 4 carrying handles for easy transport out of the water.
2. Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak
Best Cheap Kayak
- Constructed of uv-protected high-density Polyethylene....
- Adjustable padded seat back and seat pad for comfort. Two...
- Front and rear shock cord straps. Two 6" storage...
Perfect for any angler. The Tamarack angler 100 fishing kayak is constructed of the most durable polyethylene.
It is lightweight enough to carry into areas that have may not have been fished in a long time. So you can land the BIG ONES!
- Constructed of UV-protected high-density Polyethylene.
- Multiple footrest positions for different size riders.
- Stable flat bottom.
- Adjustable padded seat back and seat pad for comfort.
- Two flush-mounted fishing rod holders.
- One top mount fishing rod holder.
- Front and rear shock cord straps.
- Two 6″ storage compartments in rear and center.
- One paddle keeper, one adult black paddle.
- Front and rear t-handles for easy transport.
- Deep hull tracking channels.
- Stability chine rails.
- Durable high-density Polyethylene (HDPE) construction.
3. Ocean Kayak Caper Classic Recreational Sit-On-Top Kayak
Best Beginner Kayak
- Ocean Kayak renowned tri-form hull combines primary and...
- The Caper Angler's roomy Cockpit and Four-Way adjustable...
- Store gear, food, and other items in the large click Seal...
We often get asked, what’s the best kayak for beginners? We feel it’s the Ocean Kayak Caper with its high volume, compact, do-everything design. It offers a huge bow hatch, accessing tremendous inside storage and a tank well for plenty of on-deck storage.
The Caper includes many features you do not usually find on kayaks in its price range. Like a Comfort Plus seat, Click Seal bow hatch, padded carry handles molded-in footrests, and a cup-holder – perfect to add to your offshore kayak fishing gear.
The Caper is stable, nimble, and versatile, it matches the performance of bigger boats.
- Paddle keepers
- Tri-form hull for stability
- Tracking and maneuverability
- Threaded hull drain Plug
- Skid plate
4. Vibe Kayaks Yellowfin 130T
Best Tandem Sit on Top Kayak
The best option for tandem kayaking…Hands down! Vibe kayaks offer excellent customer service, quality products, and so much more!
Check out the following features included in the design of the yellowfin 130 T.
- 3-person sit on top fishing kayak – 13ft 80lbs multi-person kayak. Perfect for fishing, travel, or family recreation – 500 lbs weight capacity
- 2 flush mount rod holders with caps and 4 Mounting points for Scotty, RAM, or Railblaza mount rod holders
- Optional center paddle position for solo paddling
- 2 sealed hatches with bag inserts, a large bungee rear tank well, and bow cargo bungee system
- Adjustable footrests for customized comfort
Q: What is a sit on top kayak?
A: Sit on top kayaks have similar hull shapes to their traditional counterparts. But instead of sitting inside the kayak, you sit on a molded depression on top of the kayak.
Q: How to buy a kayak for beginners?
A: It is a good idea to check reviews and see which kayaks have the best reviews.
Q: How to make a kayak track better?
A: An added rudder would be the best way to make a kayak track better.
Q: What is the best kayak for beginners?
A: Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 120T | 12 Foot Tandem Kayak is a good kayak for a beginner.
Q: How to stay dry in a sit on top kayak?
A: You may want to consider a kayak with a skirt. Another idea is waterproof
Q: How to paddle a sit on top kayak?
A: Place the blade in the water near your toes. Pull the blade back alongside the kayak approximately to your hip, a better way to think of it is pulling the kayak up to the blade.
Lift the paddle and perform the same move on the other side. To turn the kayak, use a wide sweep stroke on one side.
Q: What is the most stable kayak?
A: Tandems are typically more stable than their single counterparts.
Q: Are sun dolphin kayaks good?
A: Yes, they are among the most top-rated according to reviews.
When shopping for a sit on top kayak, it is a good idea to take into account a few things. One being, how many people will be riding with you? What you will be using it for? And where you will be going?
Fishing kayaks are gaining more popularity among anglers. This is due in part, to better designs, more comfort, and access to certain areas they give.
If you are considering a sit on top kayak it as a good idea to look at the reviews on the top brand and make your decision.
This will give you an idea of what other angler’s thoughts are, and what brand and design are best for you.