Smoking fish is a great way to add flavor and texture, but it can be difficult to find the right tool for the job.
If you’re interested in smoking your own fish at home, then the best smoker for fish is exactly what you need. It’s easy to use and works like a charm every time.
Our list of smokers comes with all of the tools you’ll need to get started. The best part about it is that it’s completely portable so you can take your favorite smoked foods anywhere!
Our Top Picks
7 Best Fish Smokers
1. Weber 18-inch Smokey Mountain Cooker
Best Smoker for Fish from Weber
- Material Type: Steel
- The Weber Smokey Mountain charcoal smoker helps you achieve...
- It can accommodate a whole turkey and an entire ham at the...
- Made of very durable steel to smoke fish of all sizes
- You’ll get authentic smokehouse flavor and taste
- Now you can have the perfect meal, with all the accessories you need!
Smokey Mountain Cooker is the perfect way to make your summer BBQs more memorable. With an 18-in. cooking area, it’ll be the hit of any get-together.
The cast-iron cooking grates are designed for superior heat retention and can hold up to 175 pounds of meat, while the heavy cast iron lid holds in the smoke.
2. Traeger Grills Pro Series 575
Best Grill for Hot Smoking
- NEVER USE GAS OR CHARCOAL AGAIN: Traeger created the...
- CONNECTED HOME TECHNOLOGY: WiFIRE technology connects your...
- VERSATILE BARBECUE COOKING: The Pro 575 pellet grill offers...
- With WiFire to connect to Alexa
- The 6-in-1 grill is a fun and versatile tool for cooking, grilling, and more
- With a large grilling space for family cookouts
The Traeger Pro Series 575 Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker is the newest addition to our line of pellet grills.
It is the first with wire technology, meaning you can now monitor & adjust your grill from anywhere by using the Trager app. This grill also features our new D2 drivetrain for consistent heat control and more consistent smoke quality.
3. Kamado Joe KJ23RH Classic
Best Kamado Smokers for All Kinds of Fresh Fish
- Divide & Conquer Flexible Cooking System transforms the...
- Control Tower Top Vent lets you control air flow for precise...
- With a slide-out drawer, cleanup is easy. Unlike other...
- With a unique design that you can use in different cooking methods
- With an efficient tower top vent for the right temperature for smoking fish
- Easy to clean and maintain
The Kamado Joe KJ23RH Classic I Charcoal Grill is a heavy-duty, versatile grill used to smoke and sear with the best of them.
The thick-walled, heat-resistant shell locks in smoke and moisture at any temperature. Smoke at 225F or ramp up the heat to 750F and sear with natural charcoal flavored heat on the 2-tier Divide & Conquer grill system.
4. Char-Broil 19202101 Deluxe Black Digital Electric Smoker
Best Electric Smokers
- Product 1: Insulated, double-wall construction
- Product 1: Advanced control panel with easy-read, blue LED...
- Product 1: Removable food thermometer
- With an insulated, double-wall design
- It comes with an enhanced control panel and LED
- With a glass door so you can easily check your food
- With an improved wood chip loading system
Char-Broil’s digital electric black smoker deluxe is perfect for those who don’t have the time to tend to a live Fire for hours on end.
With its user-friendly & intuitive digital display & integrated temperature probe, you program the unit to cook your food to a desired internal temperature. Then when it’s reached there, the product will keep it warm until it’s ready.
5. Z GRILLS Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker
Best Smoker Fish with Easy Temperature Control
- ★ ULTIMATE 8-IN-1 (Cover included): Barbecue wood fire...
- ★ Pellet Grill Technology: There isn't an easier way to...
- ★ Set the Temperature, Relax, and Enjoy: Z Grills pellet...
- This wood smoker has an advanced pellet grill tech
- Easy to set the temperature control
- It easily adds smoky flavor to food
- Produces consistent results with PID technology, constant heat, and charcoal unit
The Z GRILLS ZPG-450A 2020 Upgrade Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker is the ultimate 8-in-1 barbecue grill. With a grilling capacity of 450 square inches, it’s perfect for home, party, and tailgating.
This grill has a smart digital controller that maintains temperatures within +/- 20 degrees Fahrenheit, and heavy-duty all-terrain wheels make this a great option for any backyard cookout.
6. Dyna Glo DGO1890BDC-D Wide Body Vertical Offset Smoker
Best Charcoal Smokers for the Money
- Six height-adjustable cooking grates accommodate various...
- Porcelain-enameled steel charcoal chamber is designed to...
- Charcoal and ash management system with charcoal chamber,...
- With a large space for smoked salmon, sea bass, freshwater fish, and other meats
- With an enhanced ash and charcoal management system
- It offers the best temperature, flavor, and taste
The Dyna-Glo DGO1890BDC-D Wide Body Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker is the perfect addition to your backyard.
With 1,890 square inches of space and an offset design that minimizes direct heat to food, this smoker is versatile in both its cooking options and in tailoring to your needs.
7. Masterbuilt Front Controller Electric Smoker
Best Equipment with Stable Temperature
- 730 sq. inches of cooking space with 4 chrome-coated racks...
- Digital temperature and timer controls
- Thermostat temperature control for even cooking from 100 to...
- With spacious space, a fully-insulated cooking area
- Easy temperature controls, heat levels, and smoker types
- With a redesigned access system, air dampers, and ash cleaning system/ash cleanout system
- The best fish smoker for the money
- For smoked salmon and other types of meat
Cooking outside in the backyard is great and all, but when you’re in party-planning mode, food prep can be a major hassle. The Masterbuilt Front Controller Electric Smoker is the perfect tool for taking the work and worry out of your summer BBQ.
This electric smoker offers over 700 square inches of total cooking space on four chrome cooking racks. This juicer has a new drip deflector and front access drip pan for easy cleaning.
Type of Smoker and Fuel
Smokers allow you to cook at home without the hassle of doing it on a grill or in an oven. What kind of fuel? Your smoker is used for cooking your delicious smoked fish or starting it with your choice of wood.
Choose one with updated features like Smart Smoke Technology, a wide temperature range, one that will produce smoke more efficiently, and a good smoker for lower temperature levels.
The cooking area of the best fish smoker can vary, depending on what you’re cooking and what type of equipment you’re using. Furthermore, it’s important to know what cooking surface size is best for your specific kind of food.
Temperature is the only way to control how your food cooks and what flavor it has. You should be able to maintain a range of 60-90 degrees Fahrenheit. The key here is finding out what temperatures work best for different types of fish.
Look for accessories that will help you cook better, such as shallow racks, a reliable heating element or powerful heating element, adjustable smoke levels, and more.
Dimensions and Weight
For most portable smokers, the maximum weight is 30 pounds. Everybody needs a smoke break! But you know what? If it doesn’t meet your demands, do some research on what other smokers have to offer so you can find the perfect match for your needs.
If your equipment weighs too much or perfectly matches your needs, then go ahead and purchase it! But if it doesn’t meet your demand, do some research on what other smokers have to offer so you can find the perfect match for your needs.
Smokers are made to last for many years. Those who use their equipment for a year or two may not need a warranty from the manufacturer.
However, if you plan on using your fish smoker for more than five years and you want to receive some extra assurance that it will be there when you run into issues, then a warranty may be worth it.
Tips on Smoking Food
Consider the following tips:
- Time is money, so let’s reduce cooking time with smaller cuts
- Add spices and salt to meat before hanging them inside the smoker. Doing this can also improve the smoke flavor of your favorite fish and other foods
- There are many kinds of wood chips; use these to add unique smoky flavor and taste to food
- Monitor your food, ensure that you’re using the right temperature
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of smoker is best for fish?
Smoking fish is a long process, and you need to have the best equipment for the job. You need to know what features and type of equipment will be best for your food.
There are many smokers, and smoking is a very popular hobby, but not all smokers are created equal. You can choose from wood-burning smokers, pellet smokers, offset smokers, and gas smokers.
How long do you smoke fish in a smoker?
It depends on the kind of meat you’re cooking. The smoking process will take 3 to 6 hours to complete. It may also depend on the amount you’re smoking.
Can smoking preserve fish?
You can preserve food by smoking. This method to cook food is one of the oldest ways to keep food. Wood pellets, propane smokers, and gas smokers are often used as well as cold-smoking fish.
Want to preserve fish? Get the best dehydrator.
Is smoked food bad for you?
The evidence linking nitrites and nitrates to cancer is limited. Yet, in 2015, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), a division of the World Health Organization, classified processed meat, which includes food cooked by smoking, as a Group 1 carcinogen.
This is the same category as tobacco smoke and asbestos. You may use smoking or electric smokers to reduce these harmful effects.
It’s hard to know which fish smoker will produce the best results. With so many different options available, it cannot be easy to choose the right one for your needs.
These seven of the best smokers and buying guides will surely help you make an informed decision.