A relaxing day of fishing or even hiking can quickly turn into a survival fishing situation.
Boats have problems, vehicles break down, and you can become stranded.
If you find yourself in this situation, it can become a matter of life or death. Being prepared is the best way to make it through a survival situation.
Survival fishing would mean “catching fish for food in a survival situation.” The term can also refer to “the methods, techniques, and gear used to catch fish in a survival situation.”
The best way to be prepared for a survival fishing situation is to have a kit. A good survival fishing kit will have everything you need to catch fish and prepare them for eating.
There are many survival kits on the market. There are also guides as to how to make your own survival fishing kit.
Listen to the Cast & Spear Podcast
Subscribe to the Cast & Spear Podcast on iTunes
A few basic items are necessary for a fishing survival kit. In this article, I will cover several brands and what they offer, as well as make sure you have everything you may need.
5 Best Survival Kits for Fishing Reviewed
- Best Survival Fishing Kit – Uncle Flint’s Survival Fishing Kit
- Editor’s Pick – Vigilant Trails Pocket/Survival Fishing Kit
- Best Fire Starting Survival Kit – Pocket Survival Fire Starting Tin Fatwood
- Best Compact Basic Fishing Survival Kit – Best Glide ASE Survival Fishing Kit – Compact Version
- Best Basic Survival Fishing Kit – Best Glide ASE Survival Fishing Kit – Basic Version
1. Uncle Flint’s Survival Fishing Kit
Best Survival Fishing Kit
- Packed in sturdy steel storage tin with hinged lid measures…
- Survival Fishing Kit consists of over 63 pieces of essential…
- Survival Fishing Kit easily fits in the pocket of a coat,…
- It can fit in a coat pocket
- It contains over 63 essential pieces for survival
- Packed in a sturdy steel storage tin
- It has a 50 ft of 20 lb test and 50 ft of 40 lb test monofilament fishing line
When it comes to survival fishing kits, small and compact are always better. The last thing you want is to be bogged down by a lot of gear. Uncle Flint’s Survival Fishing Kit is one of the best small complete fishing kits. With over 63 pieces, it has everything you need to catch and prepare fish.
The kit comes packed in a sturdy steel storage tin. The tin is small enough to fit in a coat pocket, making it easy to take with you wherever you go. The kit includes 50 ft of 20 lb test and 50 ft of 40 lb test monofilament line. It also has a variety of fishing hooks, weights, and floats.
There is also a small knife, a fire starter, and a fishing guide. This kit has everything you need to catch more fish in a survival situation. The only downside is that it does not have a survival fishing rod or reel.
2. Vigilant Trails Pocket/Survival Fishing Kit
- ✔ Functional and Practical: Fish are one of the most…
- ✔ The Hand Reel Takes the Place of a Bulky Rod and Reel:…
- ✔ Includes Everything Necessary to Catch Fish, Ready to go…
- Two hands reel
- A variety of artificial lures
- Compact, portable and lightweight
- Artificial corn
- It contains a jighead
- Lock back knife and tackle
- 10 single shank hooks and 2 treble hooks
This comes with a lot of features that other kits do not have. It has a two-handed reel which is great for those who are left-handed or right-handed.
It also comes with a variety of artificial lures, which is perfect for those who want to attract various fish. You can land some big fish with this kit! Corn is also a great attractant.
This kit is also compact, portable, and lightweight, making it perfect for those who want to take it with them on their travels. It also comes with a lock-back knife and tackles, which is great when you need to cut line or bait your hook.
The 10 single shank hooks and 2 treble hooks are also a great addition to this kit. Overall, this is an excellent survival fishing kit with everything you need to catch more fish in any situation.
3. Pocket Survival Fire Starting Tin Fatwood
Best Fire Starting Survival Kit
- One (1) Tin Container 4 1/4in x 3 1/4in x 7/8in… Includes…
- One (1) Bag of Fatwood Chips/Dust 2 1/2in wide x 3in long
- One (1) Ferro Rod 5/16 x 3in, will last for 1000’s of…
- Kaeser wilderness fire starting kits
- Can perform under severe conditions
- Bag of fatwood or dust
- New, improved extra thick metal striker
- One tactical band
- Survival cable hands saw stainless steel 21 inches long blade
Pocket Survival Fire Starting Tin Fatwood is the perfect gift for outdoorsmen or hunters. You cook your fish dinner over an open fire. The ideal addition to any camping gear, this wilderness fire-starting kit from Kaeser & Blanchard will ensure you can get a fire going no matter your conditions.
The kit includes a bag of fatwood or dust, an extra-thick metal striker, one tactical band, and a survival cable hand saw with a 21″ long stainless-steel blade. It also comes with instructions on how to use each item. With this kit, you’ll be prepared for anything.
4. Best Glide ASE Survival Fishing Kit – Compact Version
Best Compact Basic Fishing Survival Kit
- Assembled in the U.S.A. in a Heavy Duty 6 Mil Zip Lock Bag…
- The perfect size for your personal survival kit, small first…
- Includes a variety of jigs, flies, hooks, leaders, salmon…
- It comes in a heavy-duty 6 mil zip lock
- Designed collaboratively by survivalists and fishermen
- Packed in a silica gel desiccant
- Has a small first aid kit or emergency fishing kit
- Includes salmon eggs, crappie nibbles, flies, hooks, jigs, bobbers, split shot, fishing line, and more
The Best Glide ASE Compact Survival Fishing Kit is one of the tiniest and most easily portable fishing kits. It’s also one of the most affordable, making it an excellent option for budget-minded shoppers.
This kit comes in a heavy-duty 6 mil zip lock bag small enough to fit in your pocket. The bag is packed with a silica gel desiccant to keep the contents dry. Inside, you’ll find a small first aid or emergency fishing kit, including salmon eggs, crappie nibbles, flies, hooks, jigs, bobbers, split shot, fishing line, and more.
The Best Glide ASE Compact Survival Fishing Kit is a great option for those who want a small, lightweight, affordable survival fishing kit.
5. Best Glide ASE Survival Fishing Kit – Basic Fishing Kit Version
Best Basic Survival Fishing Kit
- Assembled in the U.S.A. in a durable, water resistant tin…
- Includes a variety of jigs, flies, hooks, leaders, tube of…
- The perfect size for your personal survival kit, small first…
- Perfect size for your survival kit, first aid, or emergency fishing kit
- Meets Alaska and Canada overflight requirements
- Designed by both survivalists and fishermen
- Assembled in a durable, water-resistant contain
- It contains a rubber seal, vinyl tape seal, and a silica gel desiccant
- Includes tubes of salmon eggs, crappie nibbles, flies, hooks, jigs, bobbers, leaders, split shot, fishing line, and more
The Best Glide ASE Survival Fishing Kit is great if you’re looking for an excellent all-around fishing kit to put in your bug-out bag or survival kit.
This kit includes everything you need to start fishing in a survival situation, including hooks, lures, lines, and weights. The kit also includes a water-resistant container to keep everything organized and dry.
When traveling in remote areas, it’s always a good idea to have a fishing kit on hand in case you need to supplement your food supply. You’ll be prepared for anything with the Best Glide ASE Survival Fishing Kit.
What is a Survival Fishing Kit?
Anything is better than nothing when you’re in a survival situation. A fishing survival kit is a gear designed to be compact for easy carry. This kit is also called survival gear or emergency fishing kit.
These often come in a metal, plastic, or PVC container. This container should have a good seal and be watertight. This is to prevent water from rusting hooks, and so you can store matches for lighting a fire.
What’s in a Survival Fishing Kit?
A survival fishing kit should contain the following:
- A variety of different-size hooks.
- A good test size line of at least 25 feet.
- A bobber.
This is a basic kit. Others will offer more options that we will cover a little later.
Hooks are probably the most crucial part of the survival fishing kit. The size of the hook can make all the difference between being able to catch a fish and not.
Fish that are too small will not be able to bite or be beset with larger hooks. Larger fish can be caught on smaller hooks. This is an excellent reason to ensure that your kit has smaller hooks.
Bobbers will vary in size depending on the size of the fishing kit. Some fishermen prefer using a bobber, while others do not. Using a bobber will increase your chances of catching a fish when dealing with smaller “bait-stealing” fish.
Where Can You Get a Survival Fishing Kit?
You can get a fishing survival kit online at most outdoor supply stores and department stores that offer sporting goods. A much better selection is usually listed online. These offer more variety than the ones you find in department stores.
Who Makes the Best Survival Fishing Kit?
The top brands are the Bushcraft Fishing Kit, Uncle Flints Survival Fishing Kit, and Walmart Bug Out Bag. These kits offer just about everything you could need should you find yourself in a survival situation.
When Do You Need a Survival Fishing Kit?
Anytime you are out in the wilderness, or away from the immediate help of others, you could find yourself in a survival situation. Becoming stranded or even injured is a very real possibility anytime you are out on a fishing trip, camping, or hiking.
You must have a good fishing survival kit each time you go out. You can comfortably put this in your pocket if you become separated from your standard fishing gear.
How to Use a Survival Fishing Kit
A fishing survival kit works much the same as your standard fishing gear. It should have hooks, weights, bobbers, and lines.
You can easily fashion one from a small branch or limb if your kit has no mini-pole. This is why it is always essential to have a good knife or, better yet, a multitool.
In most situations, bait can easily be found. You may also have artificial bait with attractant in your survival fishing kit.
If you do not have a pole with eyelets, tie your fishing line to the end of a small limb or branch. Make sure you have enough fishing lines to flip your bait a good distance into the water.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are many choices online. Walmart offers the Walmart bug-out bag. However, you may want to check online to get a more suitable kit for your area.
The more basic or least amount you put into a fishing survival kit, the easier it will be to carry. The essential fishing supplies include a variety of hooks, high test lines, sinkers, bobbers, various lures, and a knife. You can add more to your kit as the room allows. You would want to make sure it fits in a pocket.
This is a term used by preppers. It means to be off the grid or out of civilization.
If packed correctly, yes. Most kits will fit in a cargo pocket or fishing vest.
Some kits have items for building fires and building snares to trap small game. It will depend on the type of survival kit you purchase.
You use a fishing survival kit in much the same way you do standard fishing gear. The big difference would be you will most likely have to make your own pole.
Most of the kits today are very durable and waterproof. The most durable kits are the ones that come in metal or Altoid boxes.
Even the most experienced outdoorsman can find themselves in a survival situation. Being prepared and staying calm is the best way to ensure you stay safe until you can reach help or help reaches you.
Protein is one of, if not the most important thing you need for survival. It helps your body stay warm and keeps your energy up.
Most areas people become stranded in have bodies of water nearby. Fish are one of the most abundant sources of meat that can be easily obtained. You can usually catch fish if you have the basic equipment.
Where to Store Your Survival Kit
It is important to keep your fishing survival kit in a pocket somewhere on you. This is in the event you become separated from your standard fishing equipment.
Most survival fishing kits have lures. You can always add lures and attractants suited to the area you expect to be in.
Live baits such as crickets and grubs can be found in most areas. These live baits greatly increase your chances of catching fish.
It is vital to teach children how to use this basic equipment. It could prove to be one of the most important things you teach them.
We hope we never find ourselves in a survival situation. However, we take a genuine chance each time we go out. Survival prepping isn’t something to put off. Think about it now and thank yourself later.