Trying to find the best trolling motor for canoe is hard.
If you’re looking for a great trolling motor for your canoe, there are some basic things you should know before making a purchase.
We’ve reviewed all of the top-rated trolling motors and put their strengths and weaknesses on display so that you can make an informed decision about which one is right for your needs.
Looking for more trolling motors? You might want to check our other top picks:
Best Trolling Motor for Canoe
- Best Foot Controlling Motor – MotorGuide 940200090 X3
- Best Transom Mount Trolling Motor – Minn Kota Traxxis
- Best Electric Trolling Motor – Newport Vessels Electric Trolling Motor
- Best Freshwater Trolling Motor – Minn Kota Endura C2 Endura C2 55 Trolling Motor
- Most Powerful Unit – Cloud Mountain Thrust 8 Speed Electric Trolling Motor
- Best Saltwater Trolling Motor – Newport Vessels NV-Series Trolling Electric Trolling Motor
1. MotorGuide 940200090 X3
Best Foot Controlling Motor
- Rigid aircraft-grade aluminum mount and stainless steel bushings
- Foot-controlled trolling motor with heel/toe design
- Patented Variable Ratio Steering (VRS)
- For freshwater use
The MotorGuide 940200090 is designed for effortless operation. Its variable-ratio steering system allows you to position your boat easily in choppy, windy conditions.
This is completely hands-free, thanks to the composite shaft, which has bushings and stainless steel bearings, so you can now steer with a simple touch of your foot.
2. Minn Kota Traxxis
Best Transom Mount Trolling Motor
- Digital maximizer for 5 times longer run time on a single battery charge
- One-hand stow mechanism and steering Tension Control
- Quick-Lock Cam Depth Adjuster
- Push-to-test battery gauge
The Minn Kota Traxxis is the best transom mount trolling motor for a canoe or kayak. This can be operated by one hand, thanks to its one-hand stow feature.
Its variable speed control system is very reliable for ensuring optimum trolling speed, designed for freshwater.
Furthermore, it boasts 55 pounds of thrust, making it very powerful when you need it to be.
3. Newport Vessels Electric Trolling Motor
Best Electric Trolling Motor
- Made of high-quality stainless steel, magnesium, and zinc hardware
- 50amp circuit breaker to protect from battery voltage surges
- 24v electric motor built to last all day without overheating
- Good for both saltwater and freshwater
The Newport Vessels Electric Trolling Motors are one of the most powerful and lightweight models on the market. It comes with an energy-efficient telescoping and ergonomic handle that fully extends.
It can handle most applications equipped with a three-foot composite fiberglass shaft and corrosion-resistant hardware.
4. Minn Kota Endura C2 Endura C2 55 Trolling Motor
Best Freshwater Trolling Motor
- Quick-release lever lock bracket for easy mounts
- Smooth and quiet motor operation
- Features 5 different speed settings
- For freshwater use
This Minn Kota Endura C2 is guaranteed to provide a quiet, smooth ride. It can move through weeds easily, a great advantage to have for your freshwater endeavors.
The Blades are built with high-quality materials, premium-grade reinforced plastic, and heavy-duty 13mm steel hardware blades paired with a composite shaft designed to flex on impact rather than breaking.
Its precision-sealed bearings ensure minimum friction, even at high speeds allowing you to choose from 5 different speed settings to suit your desired speed.
5. Cloud Mountain Thrust 8 Speed Electric Trolling Motor
Most Powerful Unit
- Ergonomic extendable handle for smooth and controlled rides
- Convenient 10-Point LED Battery indicator
- Built with reinforced Nylon Bracket
- For saltwater and freshwater
The Cloud Mountain Electric Trolling Motors are powerful and lightweight. It provides a good balance of power and efficiency and has a nylon transom mount that is durable and easy to adjust.
It includes a convenient, ergonomic, and telescopic handle that helps you switch positions quickly and easily for maximum control.
6. Newport Vessels NV-Series Trolling Electric Trolling Motor
Best Saltwater Trolling Motor
- Nylon transom mount and a 30-inch adjustable shaft
- Motors made with corrosion-resistant hardware
- Comes with a 5-point LED battery meter
- Freshwater and saltwater motor
The Newport Vessels NV-Series is versatile enough to be used on different boats. Featuring a simple design that will not cause any problems like overheating, whether you are using a large fishing boat, kayak, or canoe.
This motor is great for freshwater and saltwater environments thanks to the zinc and stainless steel materials used in creating it. Furthermore, it comes with a battery meter that will tell you the remaining hours of battery power.
Why You Need a Trolling Motor
Trolling motors can manage your speed in the same way that a car can. Set it to a certain speed, and you won’t have to worry about being affected by the water current.
It also helps free up your hands so you can hold your rod or paddle properly. Making it easier to catch fish and maintain a steady speed.
Things to Consider When Buying a Trolling Motor
The propeller is attached to the motor’s prop shaft directly. As a result, the motor’s power is sent directly to the propeller, with no power loss.
This design improves efficiency, reduces noise, and allows for more accurate control.
Motor control is the most common way to operate a boat. There are commonly three types.
Firstly, the foot-controlled motor’s biggest advantage is that it’s hands-free. Another type is the hand-controlled motor.
They can be directly mounted on the boat. Finally, the wired remote control variant can be operated remotely so you can focus on other important things.
When choosing controls, the size of your canoe greatly determines it. Two common options for control are by hand or by foot. Make sure to buy the appropriate trolling motor so you won’t have any issues.
A shaft should be long enough to extend to the water surface to get the best performance from a trolling motor. The ideal shaft length should be one foot under the water’s surface.
We suggest getting a shaft with an adjustable length to change the trolling motor’s depth for better control.
You can install a canoe or kayak trolling motor in the bow (front) or stern (back). On small boats, these motors are usually positioned at the stern.
This gives you easy control over the boat and allows you to steer it onward. While for larger boats, trolling motors are frequently mounted at the bow and used as a secondary propulsion mode.
To ensure you get the most out of your motor, you need to remember to remove anything entangled on the propeller. Clean it after every use, and lubricate it with a marine-friendly lubricant spray.
Don’t forget to turn it off when not in use to avoid eroding the batteries.
Saltwater vs. Freshwater
Using a freshwater trolling motor in salt water can cause damage to it because it doesn’t have features like stainless steel hardware and corrosion-resistant paint.
Think of the location where you plan to use the trolling motor.
Thrust is measured by the amount of energy required for a canoe to move. The highest thrust levels are achieved by larger engines used in boats designed to take advantage of extreme waves and winds.
Consider how much thrust you need so that you won’t lack or have too much.
Mounting your Trolling Motor on a Canoe
The mounting of a trolling motor on a canoe is rather simple. With a little DIY, a 2″ x 4″, and some steel bolts, you can mount it to any canoe.
Specialized mounting brackets for canoes and kayaks are available if you don’t want to deal with the hassle. They’re usually made of anodized aluminum and secured to the gunwales using angle clamps that can be adjusted. These make it easy to attach fast and detach the motor.
Watch the video for an in-depth tutorial.
A trolling motor gives you added versatility when it comes to kayaking or canoeing. This means you can move faster, maintain a constant speed while fishing, and even rest your arms when you get tired of paddling.
We hope this article has helped you find the right trolling motor for your canoe. With this, you can enjoy some quality time with your family and friends!