Trout fishing is one of the most adventurous and exciting trips you should embark on during the spring and fall.
Why this period? Our studies have shown that trout are in high spirits, and the water will be cooler around this time.
The sweetest part of the deal is that the job is halfway done when you know the best trout rod that works for you.
5 Best Trout Fishing Rods
- Best Overall – St. Croix Rods Premier Spinning Rod
- Most Durable – Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Fishing Rod
- Best for Beginners – Shakespeare Micro Spinning Rod
- Most Portable – Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Fishing Rod
- Best for Freshwater Fishing – Cadence Spinning Ultralight Fishing Rod
As you get ready for the wharf, you need to have some fishing equipment like a reel and rod, bobbers, bait hooks, and a small number of lures on standby.
Given that, we’ve done the heavy lifting by narrowing down the top-rated rods in the market to these five best trout rods you’re about to read on.
- Made from graphite
- Handle is Light
This fishing rod stands out among others as it works for both amateur and pro anglers.
It is the best spinning rod you should get yourself, particularly if you want a “not too cheap and not too expensive” option.
The fact that it’s made from graphite affords its users the strength and grace to have a warm fishing experience.
We further recommend this rod because the handle is light, and you can easily carry it around.
Very convenient, so why won’t you settle for this?
- It is ideal for casting.
- Easily draws trout fish because of its sensitivity.
- The handle is too short when compared to other models.
- Made from graphite
- 7-year warranty
GX2 Spinning Rod by Ugly Stik is another fishing rod worth mentioning in any review for the best trout rods.
Don’t be deceived by the name; this fishing rod is not ugly in any way. We even dare to say that it’s a beauty to behold.
Just like St. Croix, this two-piece rod is made from graphite, giving the handle a very firm grip.
You can use the rod for long-distance casting, and it’s suitable for every other kind of fishing.
This unsurprisingly makes us understand the maker’s magnitude of confidence to give the product a 7-year warranty.
Isn’t that incredible? That’s a fantastic deal right there!
- You can use Ugly Stik GX2 on any water, including a running one.
- You can also use it for tackle weights.
- This trout rod is less sensitive.
Best for Beginners
- Comes in various sizes
Next on the review list is the Shakespeare Micro Spinning Rod.
You should have one of these in your tackle box as it comes in various sizes between “4 by 6” and “7 by 6” lengths.
Thanks to advancements in tech, anglers now have a special knack for Shakespeare because of its high sensitivity. That is, it draws trout fish to itself easily.
Don’t forget that the rod is lightweight, and this feature makes it possible for anglers to explore any spinning reels they want to try with the line.
Most importantly, we need to inform you that the Shakespeare micro spinning rod is a perfect trout rod for amateur anglers.
This is because your goal at the moment will be to have some fun and not necessarily to perform any technical methods like long-distance casting or trolling.
- Very durable and strong.
- You can use it alongside a tackle combo.
- It’s only suitable for amateur anglers and folks fishing for fun during their spare time.
- Not appropriate enough if you’re a fan of light tackle.
- High durability and easy mobility
- Can disassemble the “6 by 6” design into two compartments
- Has a graphite component
Apart from the spinning fishing rod, GX2 also built an Elite spinning fishing rod from fiberglass and graphite.
No doubt, it deserves the top place as one of the best trout spinning rods in the fishing market because of its high durability and easy mobility.
A feature that makes the spinning fishing rod stand tall in the market is that it is very portable, and you can easily detach it. How’s that possible?
You can disassemble the “6 by 6” design into two compartments and reassemble it. Thus making it easier to pack and carry around.
Remember that since it has a graphite component, it’ll be flexible and delicate. So you need to handle it with care and avoid applying unnecessary pressure.
- It is very receptive and sensitive.
- You can use it to “cruise” every fish species in the freshwater. Not limited to the trout.
- It is not recommended for experienced anglers.
- The shape is distorted because of the partially bent pole.
Best for Freshwater Fishing
- The handle is made from EVA foam material
- Comes in various sizes and shapes
- Has several layouts, reels, and rods
Are you a fan of freshwater angling? Then Cadence Spinning Ultralight is the best trout rod for you.
It’ll help you capture other freshwater fishes like crappie, tench, beluga, northern pike, walleye, and others.
So it’s safe to say that the fishing rod helps you gain on both ends.
The handle is also comfy due to the EVA foam material used in building it. However, the handle can be stiff to hold after hours of fishing.
Cadence also comes in various sizes and shapes. So you get to explore and pitch with your preference.
It also has several layouts, reels, and rods. So why won’t you join the train of anglers having a lovely fishing experience with Cadence CR5?
- It’s one of the best trout rods out there in terms of sensitivity.
- It is stylish and can easily detect any slight bites.
- The more you use Cadence CR5, the looser the handle becomes. Hence, not recommended for long hours of fishing during family vacations or excursions.
- No guarantee of durability.
How to Pick the Perfect Trout Fishing Rods
You need to confirm how sensitive the rod is before you consider purchasing it in the first place. And how can you do that? Read on.
You need to seek the permission of a friend or the shopkeeper first because you can’t do it alone.
Hold the rod’s handle and place it on the person’s throat. Ask him to talk. If you can feel his vibration from the trout rod’s handle, then it’s guaranteed you’ll easily feel any slight bite of the fish.
There you have the sensitivity!
You need to check out how strong the rod is to lift heavy loads. Some folks believe this is the most important aspect of any fishing rod.
We suggest you opt for an ultralight spinning rod so that your arm doesn’t go numb or weary after hours of fishing.
Another essential point that requires your attention is the rod’s length.
The key here’s that the mass of water you plan to fish in determines the length of the rod.
Since we’re dealing with trout here and they’re known to inhabit a small mass of water (freshwater), we recommend you start with a 7-foot rod at least.
Other areas you should also consider when you’re checking out which rod to go for are:
- The materials used in building the rod.
- The rod action.
- The build (1-piece or 2-piece rods).
There’s almost no way you can successfully go trout fishing without crossing your “t”s and dotting your “I”s on which best trout rod to use. After all, you can not catch fish with your bare hand.
We hope this list gives you the assistance you’ve always wanted on the best trout fishing rods out there. Happy fishing!