If you’re an angler who enjoys tuna fishing, you know that having the right gear is essential. In this blog post, we’ll list seven of the best tuna fishing rods for 2023. Whether you’re a beginner or experienced fisherman, we think you’ll find something to love in our list!
So without further ado, let’s get started.
7 Best Tuna Fishing Rods
- Most Universally Recommended Tuna Rod – PENN Squall 30 Level Wind Fishing Rod and Trolling Reel Combo
- Best Action Fishing Rod – Fiblink Bent Butt Fishing Rod
- Winner’s Choice – OKIAYA COMPOSIT Roller Rod
- Top Quality Fishing Rod –Fiblink Saltwater Offshore Heavy Trolling Fishing Rod
- Lightest and Most Powerful Offshore Jigging Rod – Shimano Grappler Type J Jigging Rods
- Most Powerful Fishing Rod – Seeker Hercules Rod
- Best Lightweight Fishing Rod – United Composites Elite Composite
1. PENN Squall 30 Level Wind Fishing Rod and Trolling Reel Combo
Most Universally Recommended Tuna Rod
- Level wind trolling reel for big game fish in a variety of…
- Durable construction with lightweight graphite frame and…
- HT 100 carbon fiber drag system provides powerful drag…
- Has a lightweight graphite frame and side plates
- Has an HT 100 carbon fiber metal
- Features instant anti-reverse bearing
- Equipped with 5+1 stainless steel ball bearings
The PENN Squall Fishing rod’s main gear is mostly high-strength bronze with stainless pinion gear. Thus, these features prevent the rod fishing combo from breaking down from saltwater corrosion, making it the most recommended tuna rod.
In addition, its ultrasensitive, durable, tubular glass bank construction can drag up to 15 lbs of fishing tuna, which makes big catches easier.
2. Fiblink Bent Butt Fishing Rod
Best Action Fishing Rod
- Solid Construction – Solid E-glass graphite composite blanks…
- High-Quality Roller Guides – Smooth polished line protecting…
- Extreme Exposure Reel Seat -Aluminum alloy wheel seat with…
- Has solid E-glass blanks
- Has high-quality roller guides
- It is composed of spiral metal
- Has an additional non-slip rubber shrink tube handle
Fiblink Fishing Rod comes in a range of five, six, and seven feet to help you fish easily in any setting. On top of that, most anglers prefer this for catching Marlin, record Wahoo, and Yellowfin Tuna.
Thus, due to its high-strength aluminum alloy bent butt and the gimbal cross on the bottom, rod holders can be accessed easily, making even the toughest of fights in the water doable for inexperienced anglers. The Nonslip handle is another feature that makes this rod great for handling in adverse weather.
Also, we’re sharing yellowfin tuna fishing tips!
3. OKIAYA COMPOSIT Roller Rod
- Offshore Stand Up Trolling Rods
- Premium Quality Rod
- Designed in the USA, Tournament Champion
- Made with CNC machined aircraft grade alloys
- Has stainless steel guides
- Has composite fiber main shaft
OKIAYA COMPOSIT is the company’s latest design, featuring an upgraded version of the industry’s classic tuna rods design. Undeniably, this is a reliable companion when you’re sparring with a trophy tuna fish!
Its durable design and components means this rod not only looks the pet but keeps kicking after years of use and abuse. Thus, a bonus premium OKIAYA rod cover is included as well!
4. Fiblink Saltwater Offshore Heavy Trolling Fishing Rod
Top Quality Fishing Rod
- Solid Construction–Top-quality,extra-tough 1-piece tubular…
- Stainless Steel Roller Guides–Heavy-duty Roller Guides…
- Extreme Exposure Reel Seat –Machined aluminum alloy reel…
- Has solid E-glass graphite composite blanks
- Has high-density EVA handle
- Has roller guides
- Features machined aluminum alloy reel seat
Fiblink Salt water fishing rod comes with a heavy-duty trolling rod to minimize strain on the line weight, making combat easier.
Its high-density EVA foam handle and foregrips are also responsible for added solid grip and comfort. Thus, Fiblink provides a one-year warranty and money back for non-artificial damage.
5. Shimano Grappler Type J Jigging Rods
Lightest and Most Powerful Offshore Jigging Rod
- Has high carbon butt section
- Comes with spiral X construction
- Has additional rubber gimbals for PE 6 and 7 rods
This rod is different from Shimano Trevala, for it is equipped with fuji aluminum oxide guides. On top of that, Shimano utilized the highest performing rod technologies, Spiral X and Hi-Power X, with Grappler Type J.
Its blank is structurally made with 250% rigidity and 180% less prone to twisting than standard blank construction. Thus, it allows an extremely responsive casting rod, enhancing tuna fishing capabilities.
Check out our recommended salt water fishing rods!
6. Seeker Hercules Rod
Most Powerful Fishing Rod
- Has Fuji Titanium plated SIC guides
- Features lightweight EVA handles
- Built with solid Titanium frame guides
- With composite or gunmetal gray aluminum reel seats
Hercules is available in ten spinning and conventional tackle models. Nevertheless, these lightweight and slow tapered extreme duty fishing rods are required for deepwater jigging. Thus, many anglers prefer this for catching Bluefin Tuna.
The titanium and aluminum components are incredibly durable and resistant to corrosion common to hear used in saltwater angling.
7. United Composites Elite Composite
Best Lightweight Fishing Rod
- Has unidirectional fiberglass
- With dual helix construction
- Comes with lightweight EVA foam grips
- With graphite reel seat
Elite Composite is the lightest weight composite United Composites has ever built. The rods individually wrapped Silver trim bands with metallic red and blue accents. Thus, UC utilized a more durable Hypalon material used for the grips.
Its fiberglass and graphite components mean rust and corrosion are a non-factor on this rod, and the lightweight grips handle well in even the most slippery of conditions.
Things to Consider When Buying Tuna Fishing Rods
A light and short jigging rod, usually ranging from 5’8” to 6’6”, is designed to drop jigs into the water. The general rule is that you must match the weight of your jig to the jigging rod’s intended weight.
In this way, it ensures that your action matches up as intended.
Depending on the type of tuna you’re planning to catch, an offshore trolling rod works in most cases. The best part?
The shorter rod is no longer than six and a half feet. However, you might find these trolling rods heavy, giving them more backbone.
No doubt, there are many tuna fishing techniques out there. However, there’s truth when anglers say that these techniques and gear used could depend on a number of these factors:
- Species of the tuna
- Location of the tuna
- Size of the tuna
Generally, techniques come from personal preference, experience, and fishing style. You can use live bait or even toss butterfly jigs to target Yellowfin Tuna.
For materials, you can choose either bent butt or straight butt handles. Thus, most anglers find a straight butt handle easier to transport, and a shorter rod is more convenient.
A popping rod can be as long as eight feet, the added length is constructed for casting poppers and swimbaits on the surface of the water.
Because you don’t have to get too close when dropping a lure into a school of tuna, this method is both more comfortable and effective in its use.
Fishing for tunas is a challenge that most anglers are ecstatic to experience. However, what fun will there be if you’re not equipped with one of the best tuna fishing rods?
These are some of the best and affordable tuna rods. We advise you to invest in a rod that’s durable and flexible enough so you can cast a Yellowfin Tuna up from the depths.
Thus, the best tuna rods should easily last at least 10 years of regular use. If anything goes wrong, many high-end rods have lifetime warranties.