Having the right tuna fishing equipment can make all the difference when you’re out there in the waters. Nonetheless, there are many good tuna fishing rods out in the market; so how can you find the right one for you?
As an angler, it’s always better to do some research. It is to ensure you’re getting a rod with all the features you need for a great day of tuna fishing.
Thus, in the sea of fishing rods competing for your attention, it can be hard to find something that will fit what you need. For this reason, we’ve created a list to make choosing the best tuna fishing rods easy. Read on!
Our Top Picks
7 Best Tuna Fishing Rods
1. Seeker Hercules Rod
Most Powerful Fishing Rod
- Has Fuji Titanium plated SIC guides
- Features lightweight EVA handles
- Built with solid Titanium frame guides
- With composite or gunmetal gray aluminum reel seats
Hercules is available in ten spinning and conventional tackle models. Nevertheless, these lightweight and slow tapered extreme duty fishing rods are required for deepwater jigging. Thus, many anglers prefer this for catching Bluefin Tuna.
2. United Composites Elite Composite
Best Lightweight Fishing Rod
- Has unidirectional fiberglass
- With dual helix construction
- Comes with lightweight EVA foam grips
- With graphite reel seat
Elite Composite is the lightest weight composite United Composites has ever built. The rod is designed with single-wrapped Silver trim bands with metallic red and blue accents. Thus, UC utilized a more durable Hypalon material used for the grips.
3. PENN Squall 30 Level Wind Fishing Rod and Trolling Reel Combo
Most Universally Recommended Tuna Rod
- Level wind trolling reel for big game fish in a variety of...
- Durable construction with lightweight graphite frame and...
- HT 100 carbon fiber drag system provides powerful drag...
- Has a lightweight graphite frame and side plates
- Has an HT 100 carbon fiber metal
- Features instant anti-reverse bearing
- Equipped with 5+1 stainless steel ball bearings
The PENN Squall Fishing rod’s main gear is mostly high-strength bronze with stainless pinion gear. Thus, these features prevent the rod fishing combo from breaking down from saltwater corrosion, making it the most recommended tuna rod.
In addition, its ultrasensitive, durable, tubular glass bank construction can drag up to 15 lbs of fishing tuna, which makes big catches easier.
4. Fiblink Bent Butt Fishing Rod
Best Action Fishing Rod
- Solid Construction - Solid E-glass graphite composite blanks...
- High-Quality Roller Guides - Smooth polished line protecting...
- Extreme Exposure Reel Seat -Aluminum alloy wheel seat with...
- Has solid E-glass blanks
- Has high-quality roller guides
- It is composed of spiral metal
- Has an additional non-slip rubber shrink tube handle
Fiblink Fishing Rod comes in a range of five, six, and seven feet to help you fish easily in any setting. On top of that, most anglers prefer this for catching Marlin, record Wahoo, and Yellowfin Tuna.
Thus, due to its high-strength aluminum alloy bent butt and the gimbal cross on the bottom, rod holders can be accessed easily, making water fights easier!
Also, we’re sharing yellowfin tuna fishing tips!
5. OKIAYA COMPOSIT Roller Rod
- WHY SETTLE FOR LESS WHEN YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL WITH THE LATEST...
- THIS IS A PREMIUM BIG GAME FISHING ROD THAT YOU CAN DEPEND...
- FEATURING AN INDUSTRY CLASSIC DESIGN WITH USE OF CNC...
- Made with CNC machined aircraft grade alloys
- Has stainless steel guides
- Has composite fiber main shaft
OKIAYA COMPOSIT is the company’s latest design, featuring an upgraded version of the industry’s classic tuna rods design. Undeniably, this is a reliable companion when you’re sparring with a trophy tuna fish!
Its durable hardware keeps its stunning looks after years of use. Thus, a bonus premium OKIAYA rod cover is included as well!
6. Fiblink Saltwater Offshore Heavy Trolling Fishing Rod
Top Quality Fishing Rod
- Solid Construction--Top-quality,extra-tough 1-piece tubular...
- Stainless Steel Roller Guides--Heavy-duty Roller Guides...
- Extreme Exposure Reel Seat --Machined aluminum alloy reel...
- Has solid E-glass graphite composite blanks
- Has high-density EVA handle
- Has roller guides
- Features machined aluminum alloy reel seat
Fiblink Saltwater Offshore comes with a heavy-duty trolling rod to minimize strain on the line weight, making combat easier.
Its high-density EVA foam handle and foregrips are also responsible for added solid grip and comfort. Thus, Fiblink provides a one-year warranty and money back for non-artificial damage.
7. Shimano Grappler Type J Jigging Rods
Lightest and Most Powerful Offshore Jigging Rod
- Has high carbon butt section
- Comes with spiral X construction
- Has additional rubber gimbals for PE 6 and 7 rods
This rod is different from Shimano Trevala, for it is equipped with fuji aluminum oxide guides. On top of that, Shimano utilized the highest performing rod technologies, Spiral X and Hi-Power X, with Grappler Type J.
Its blank is structurally made with 250% rigidity and 180% less prone to twisting than standard blank construction. Thus, it allows an extremely responsive casting rod, enhancing tuna fishing capabilities.
Check out our recommended salt water casting rods!
Things to Consider When Buying Tuna Fishing Rods
A light and short jigging rod, usually ranging from 5’8” to 6’6”, is designed to drop jigs into the water. The general rule is that you must match the weight of your jig to the jigging rod’s intended weight.
In this way, it ensures that your action matches up as intended.
Depending on the type of tuna you’re planning to catch, a trolling rod works in most cases. The best part?
The shorter rod is no longer than six and a half feet. However, you might find these trolling rods heavy, giving them more backbone.
No doubt, there are many tuna fishing techniques out there. However, there’s truth when anglers say that these techniques and gear used could depend on a number of these factors:
- Species of the tuna
- Location of the tuna
- Size of the tuna
Generally, techniques come from personal preference, experience, and fishing style. You can use live bait or even toss butterfly jigs to target Yellowfin Tuna.
For materials, you can choose either bent butt or straight butt handles. Thus, most anglers find a straight butt handle easier to transport, and a shorter rod is more convenient.
A popping rod is generally up to 8 feet. It’s longer than other rods, and it is meant to toss swimbaits and poppers on the water surface.
This technique has an added ergonomic advantage as you don’t have to get too close when dropping a lure into a school of tuna.
Fishing for tunas is a challenge that most anglers are ecstatic to experience. However, what fun will there be if you’re not equipped with one of the best tuna fishing rods?
These are some of the best and affordable tuna rods. We advise you to invest in a rod that’s durable and flexible enough so you can cast a Yellowfin Tuna up from the depths.
Thus, the best tuna rods should easily last at least 10 years of regular use. If anything goes wrong, many high-end rods have lifetime warranties.
The Anglers Behind This Article: