Like wearing wet socks during a run or jeans chafing during a hike, soaked fabric can be a nightmare for anglers in search of a good time on the water.
If you’re planning to buy the waterproofing spray that will best keep the moisture and stains out of your outdoor fabric, then look no further.
This article lists the best waterproofing spray for outdoor fabric essentials based on customer reviews, product descriptions, and price worth.
Find one that best works for you and the only thing wet on you should be your hook, line and sinker.
Our Top Picks
7 Best Waterproofing Spray for Outdoor Fabric
1. Sof Sole Unisex-Adult Silicone Waterproofer
Best for Outdoor Clothing
- 12 percent silicone formula creates durable, long lasting...
- Aerosol can offers easy application
- Ideal for use on hiking or work boots, tents, camping and...
- Aerosol spray that offers easy application
- A 12 percent silicone formula that offers durability
- Repels water, dirt, and oil for long periods
- Ideal for outdoor hunting apparel and other outdoor gear
- Contraindicated for breathable technical fibers (such as GORE-TEX) and athletic shoes
Sof Sole Heavy Duty Waterproofer is a silicone-based waterproof spray that helps keep your gear dryer longer by creating a long-lasting waterproof bond and repelling water and oil during wear.
It’s perfect for outdoor apparel, work gear, and outdoor equipment. This camp-dry heavy-duty waterproofing spray is also good for repelling stains.
2. Scotchgard Heavy Duty Water Shield
Best for Outdoor Furniture
- Safe for use on polyester, nylon, polypropylene, cotton,...
- Creates durable protection from the elements with just one...
- Ideal for use on outerwear, rain gear, umbrellas, patio...
- Long-lasting water repellent with just one spray
- Safe for sensitive fabrics such as polyester, nylon, polypropylene, cotton, leather, suede
- Used on outerwear and other outdoor gear
This high-powered water-repellent spray can be used on a variety of fabric types without diminishing their quality, breathability, or color. You can use it to safeguard the upholstery of your outdoor furniture, suitcases, and other items, making it a well rounded, worthwhile purchase.
3. Forcefield Unisex-Adult Waterproof Spray
Best for All Types of Foot Apparel
- Provides a protectant water repellent barrier for stains and...
- Invisible coating protects footwear and gear from UV fading...
- Quick dry time cures within 23 minutes on easy spray on...
- Provides water protection for any footwear, outerwear, and hats
- One application treatment can last up to 12 months
- Protects the material from staining and fading because of UV rays with just one coat
- Offers quick dry feature that will only take 23 minutes
- Composed of a hydrophobic formula that repels water while also maintaining the natural breathability
This stain repellent spray is perfect for all kinds of footwear, as it creates a water-repelling barrier and armor protection against all types of elements for your shoes, backpacks, and hats.
The fence acts as a shield that offers moisture and UV protection for your shoes. This product will not leave any sticky residue on the soles of your footwear.
4. Nikwax TX.Direct® Spray-On Waterproofing
Best for Waterproof Garments
- Spray-on application
- Proven to repel water for synthetic outerwear
- High-performance waterproofing while maintaining fabric’s breathability and color
- Effective water repellent on all breathable laminates such as Gore-Tex, coatings, microfibers, and natural fibers
- Water-based and biodegradable
If you’re looking to effectively waterproof clothing and synthetic material, look no further than Nikwax TX.Direct® Spray-On Waterproofing.
It prevents moisture from penetrating the fabric without compromising its breathability, a common problem with many products in the space. Because it does not contain any fluorocarbons or volatile organic compounds, Nikwax Direct Spray is safe for the planet and can be broken down naturally.
In other words, safe for you and the environment you enjoy.
Best for Leather and Synthetic Combination Footwear
- Easy spray-on application for footwear made of leather and synthetic materials
- Non-silicone-based sprays, biodegradable
- Contains no fluorocarbons or VOCs
- Maintains the breathability of footwear when applied
Nikwax Fabric and Leather Proof is a good waterproof spray for your synthetic and leather footwear. This non-silicone-based waterproofing spray is an environmentally friendly product that is safe and easy to apply.
6. Fabric Guard – For Outdoor Fabrics
Best for All Types of Fabrics
- For outdoor fabrics
- Restores water repellency to factory new levels
- Repels moisture and stains
- Safe for all types of fabric
- Restores factory waterproofing of delicate fabrics
- Repels moisture and stains with multiple layers
- Used on upholstery, cushions, umbrellas, life jackets, suede, canvas, and other fabrics
Fabric Guard is effective and safe for all fabrics, restoring their water repellency to factory levels.
It creates an odorless protective coating to protect your material from moisture and stains without altering its natural color, feel, and breathability.
7. The Art of Crep Protect Spray
Best Water Repellent Spray for Fabric Soles
- Easy to use 200ml aerosol spray bottle.
- Super-hydrophobic spray that creates an invisible coating...
- Quick Dry Formula - 10 minute dry time.
- Easy aerosol spray-on application
- Effective waterproof spray for fabric soles
- Also effective on canvas, suede, and nubuck
- offers stain protection
- Creates an invisible barrier on shoe soles to protect them from moisture and dirt
Waterproofing your shoes’ fabric soles has never been easier since the arrival of Art of Crep Protect Spray. It employs nanotechnology to produce an invisible shield against water and dirt that will keep your shoes in pristine condition and your toes dry.
This item can be used without worry, dries quickly, has a two-week shelf life, and has no discernible odor, so the shoes aren’t related to outdoors only.
Things to Consider When Buying the Best Waterproofing Spray
When choosing the best waterproof spray to suit your needs, consider the product’s durability. Please select the one that can do its job and repel liquids for a long time.
A good waterproof spray should protect your fabric from all types of elements while also allowing easy application; it should offer proper protection for your material, is heavy-duty and long-lasting.
You can apply the waterproof sprays to what you wear or what you use. Choose the best one that is also the safest for you. Those products with harmful chemicals may also harm you, especially when your skin comes in contact with these chemicals.
Look into the composition of your waterproofing spray options and try to research each ingredient to know that what you purchase is safe for your fabric and your health.
Potential Fabric Alteration
A good waterproofing spray does not affect your fabric or damage it. Choose the waterproof spray that will not affect your fabric’s breathability and its natural color.
Make sure that the feel and texture of your fabric remain the same even when you apply multiple coatings of the waterproof spray.
Waterproofing sprays are readily available, but not all of them can be used on or are safe for use with every material. Knowing which ones are safe for your material to avoid ruining your possessions is essential for gear maintenance.
To determine which waterproof spray is best for you and your fabric, it is necessary to be familiar with the ingredients found in each.
Ease of Use
There are many easy-to-use options, and you might want to consider those, especially when you do not want the hassle. Choose the easiest to use when you are outdoors. Many options offer easy application spray bottles, so you might want to look into those.
Frequently Asked Questions
How far should I apply the spray?
The distance usually depends on the product you are using, but the length should be around 6 to 9 inches for the spray to be effective. Make sure that the fabric sprayed on is clean so that the coating will be uniform.
Does waterproof spray expire?
Yes, waterproof sprays may expire. The expiration would again depend on the brand of the product. You can usually find the expiration date at the back of the can or the bottle.
However, if you do not see any expiration date, remember to shake the bottle well before using it, and then you’re good to go!
Get your Fabrics Protected
Whether it’s your footwear, outerwear, or any other furniture and gear at home, you only want what’s best for them. Keeping your belongings out of moisture and any other element protects them from getting damaged and destroyed.
Before deciding which waterproofing sprays to purchase for your fabric, it’s always best to read different waterproofing spray reviews, just like this article.