Hi there – I’m Jon. I started fishing with my dad in the backcountry of Yosemite National Park. I wasn’t great at fly fishing, so my dad retrofitted a spinning reel with a clear water bobber with a fly at the end of my leader. It caught a lot of fish!
My Uncle Mike taught me to catch sand crabs and surf fish in middle school. We used to fish Torrey Pines in San Diego and caught perch, shovelnose guitarfish, and corbina. Those are some of my favorite childhood memories.
When I was 28, I took a PADI course and learned about spearfishing. I’ve always been an adventure junkie, so I had to learn how to do it. I bought overpriced gear from a local dive shop and had to beg for someone to teach me. Once I shot my first fish, I knew it was the sport for me. I now spend most of my time spearfishing around Southern California and Baja California.
I started this site to share the knowledge and expertise I have gained over the years to make it easier for others to get into the sport safely. Through over 300 podcast episodes, I have learned from the best fishermen and spearfishermen around the globe and am always seeking new opportunities for growth and learning.
- Mekong Giant Catfish: 120 pounds (rod and reel)
- White Seabass: 65 pounds (spearfishing)
- Soupfin Shark: 65 pounds (surf fishing)
- Redtail Catfish (rod and reel)
- Leopard Grouper: 18 pounds (spearfishing)
- Yellowtail: 35 pounds (spearfishing)
- Gulf Grouper: 17 pounds (spearfishing)
What’s your favorite fish?
My favorite fish is the white sea bass. It took me way too long to get one, but the journey was worth it.
What is your “spirit fish”?
I’d have to go with a blowfish. I just like how big and spikey they can get. Or maybe a shark…
What’s the most unusual fish you’ve caught?
I’d have to say a Mekong Giant Catfish. I caught one when I visited Bangkok and loved every second of it.
Brands I’ve Worked With
Jon went to school for engineering at UC San Diego (B.S. Mechanical Engineering) and received his Master’s (MEng) from San Diego State. He worked in product development for medical devices and consumer goods. After a few years, he ventured up to Silicon Valley, where he worked on a machine learning start-up that began early work in computational drug designing.
After years of hard work, he decided to rekindle his love of fishing and devoured everything he could on the topic. He read old fishing magazines, books, and forums and found mentors to help him improve his craft. He’s done over 250 podcast episodes and has learned from the best fishermen and spearfishermen around the globe.
Through my education and experience in the fishing and diving industries, I can provide advice and insights to my readers and listeners. My passion for fishing and commitment to sharing my knowledge make me a trusted source of information in the industry.
- How To Freedive To 70 Feet On One BreathAre you interested in learning how to freedive? With the right mindset and proper training, you’ll be able to reach new depths and have skills that will improve your life.
- Fly Fishing vs. Regular Fishing: A Comprehensive ComparisonThere are many ways to catch fish, but the two that stand out the most are fly fishing and regular fishing. Not only do they use different gear, but they
- Bass Jumping Out Of Water: What Does it Mean?Have you ever wondered why bass sometimes jump out of the water? The first time I saw it, I was shocked and made it a point to research why it
- How To Avoid Catching Turtles While FishingThere’s nothing more frustrating than bycatching turtles when you’re out fishing. We’ve talked with fishermen who’ve dealt with this and compiled their suggestions. In this guide, we’ll explore some simple
- How Long Can You Keep Fish on IceAre you wondering if the fish you left in your cooler overnight is still safe to eat? I used to think fresh fish was always best, but after talking with
- 8 Tips For Improving Your Catch RateAre you tired of spending time and money on the water only to get skunked? It’s common to hear that fishing is about the journey, being in nature, and not
- The Taste of Muskie Fish: Is It Worth the Catch?Have you caught a legal muskie and are curious if it’s worth taking home to eat? In this guide, we go into depth on if it’s worth eating, what it
- Understanding the Costs of Fish Mounting: A Detailed BreakdownDid you land your dream catch and want to keep the memory alive by mounting it? It can be a bit overwhelming if you’ve never gone through the process. In
- 150+ Fishing Captions for Social MediaDo you want to share your fishing adventure on social media, but how do you distill the thrill, serenity, and joy of fishing into a simple caption? This article will