Modern kayaks come with almost everything an angler can ask for, from fishing rod holders to a camera mount. But there is always room for upgrades and customization. There are many options available, whether you plan to add modifications or you want to improve your kayak’s functionality.
In this article, you will learn which top 10 kayak upgrades you should have if you want more enjoyable paddling adventures. This list of kayak fishing mods can also help those who love kayaking!
Best Upgrades for Kayak Anglers
If you’re looking to upgrade your kayak, we’re here to give you DIY kayak mods. Below are our best fishing kayak mods for 2021!
- Best Fishing Kayak Storage for All Anglers-Earth Pak
- Best Kayak Paddle for Anglers- AQUA BOUND Manta Ray Carbon 2-Piece Kayak Paddle
- Best Fish Finder for Anglers –Striker 4 Fishfinder
- Best Anchor for Kayak –YakGear Deluxe Anchor Trolley Kit
- Best Traction Pad for Anglers-Non-Slip Traction Mat
- Best Kayak Surface Mount- YakAttack GearTrac Spectralite
- Best Kayak Anchor-YakAttack ParkNPole Link
- Best Handheld Kayak Gear-Garmin GPSMAP
- Best Kayak Seat Cushions-WOOWAVE Kayak Seat
- Best Kayak Shade Accessory-Lixada Kayak Sun Shade Canopy
1. Earth Pak
Best Fishing Kayak Storage for All Anglers
- RELIABLE PROTECTION: We believe our earth pak dry bags are…
- SHOULDER STRAP: 10L & 20L dry bags come with a 24-42 Inch…
- IPX8 CERTIFIED WATERPROOF PHONE CASE: We have included our…
- Lightweight, compact, and durable, making it ideal for any trip
- Comes with shoulder straps of varying lengths for ease of use and stability
- Comes with an IPX8-certified waterproof phone case with a simple snap-and-lock access
- Comes in five different sizes: 10L, 20L, 30L, 40L, and 55L
The Earth Pak waterproof dry bag is an ideal storage solution for anglers who want to pack light. It is also perfect for replacing either your fishing crate or milk crate as storage on your boat.
Although lightweight, the dry bag is built with quality, heavy-duty materials that can survive the outdoors and protect personal items within it. Anglers can put any items in it, from toiletries, cameras, phones, and even water bottles.
The 10L bag is the most popular since it is big enough to fit the bare necessities and extra personal items. The 20L bag is meant for anglers who plan to go on a day trip. On the other hand, the 30L, 40L, and 50L bags are meant for longer trips. No need for you to bring your milk crate!
2. AQUA BOUND Manta Ray Carbon 2-Piece Kayak Paddle
Best Kayak Paddle for Anglers
- FLUTTER FREE BLADE DESIGN. Each blade has the perfect…
- CARBON REINFORCED BLADES. The Carbon reinforced blades…
- MADE IN OSCEOLA, WISCONSIN, USA. Like all Aqua-Bound…
- It is handbuilt by paddling enthusiasts in Wisconsin, like any other Aqua-Bound paddles
- Can be separated into two pieces for easier storage and travel
- The paddle shaft provides anglers with a comfortable grip
- Blades are made of carbon abX resin, making them lightweight and stiff
The Aqua-Bound Manta Ray two-piece paddle is made to be lightweight and durable for anglers of all experience levels. The blades are made of abX carbon-reinforced nylon, making them stiff and stronger than glass-reinforced blades. You won’t have to put much effort into your strokes to paddle faster!
These paddles come with drip rings as accessories. Thus, making it easy for any angler to paddle without worrying about water running down your arms and getting in the boat.
Kayak tip! You can also check out our article on the best kayak paddle for fishing for more options!
3. Striker 4 Fishfinder
Best Fish Finder for Anglers
- Clear Vu scanning Sonar shows you more of what is in the…
- The power of simple offers a keyed interface with dedicated…
- Waypoint map: Use the way point map to easily view, mark and…
- Features a high-frequency sonar that gives detailed, high-quality representations of objects underwater, unlike many fish finders
- Features a keyed user interface with easy-to-understand buttons
- Comes with a featured flasher, making it ideal for vertical jigging or ice fishing
- Display size: 1.9 x 2.9 inches; 3.5 inches diagonal
This fish-catching machine comes with the Garmin CHIRP transducer. This provides anglers with a higher level of visibility and detail of big fish and underwater structures. For freshwater kayak fishing, anglers can reach a maximum depth of 1,600 feet. Meanwhile, anglers can reach a maximum depth of 750 feet for saltwater fishing.
This kayak GPS fish finder also features a map that makes it easy for anglers to mark waypoints and navigate while on their fishing kayak.
4. YakGear Deluxe Anchor Trolley Kit
Best Anchor for Kayak
- Deluxe anchor trolley system with Harken pulleys
- Allows the bow of your vessel to turn in to the current for…
- Mini zig zag cleat included to maintain stable positioning
- Comes with Harken pulleys and 30 feet of rope
- Includes a mini zig zag cleat for additional stability
- Comes with the necessary hardware and an instruction manual
- Product Dimensions: 8.82 x 5.75 x 1.42 inches; 8 Ounces
This anchor trolley system allows you to easily move your boat’s anchor from the bow to the stern or vice versa. It is a great tool for adjusting your boat based on wind conditions or how strong the currents are.
5. Non-Slip Traction Mat
Best Traction Pad for Anglers
- ADVANCED TRACTION: Designed to give frog-like traction on…
- BUILT TO LAST: No all deck grips stand up to the wear and…
- LIGHTWEIGHT PERFORMANCE: The deck grip combines durability…
- Dimensions: 20” by 20”
- Made of 3M adhesive and ultralight, marine-grade diamond grooved EVA foam
- Easy to peel and stick; made to last a lifetime
- Available in three colors: black, white, and grey
This deck padding is designed to be versatile; you can use it on any watercraft, including your kayak. While it gives you a top-notch, non-slip grip, it also channels away excess water from your boat. It is designed to stick to your kayak forever, or you can ask for a refund.
6. YakAttack GearTrac Spectralite
Best Kayak Surface Mount
- Super high end polymer, designed for harsh marine…
- Patent pending design offers superior surface mount…
- Compatible with 1/2 in. wide track hardware
- Product Dimensions: 1 x 1 x 1 inches; 0.16 Ounces
- Designed to stand harsh marine environments
- Its design is meant to offer superior stability
- Made for light and medium-duty usage
The YakAttack GearTrac is one of many surface mount gear tracks made of high-end, marine-grade polymer material. This kit is designed to handle light to medium-duty uses on your boat. Furthermore, it comes with stainless steel screws, nuts, and washers.
This makes drilling holes and installing the piece easier. It offers anglers ease of installation and increased security when they want to use camera mounts.
7. YakAttack ParkNPole Link
Best Kayak Anchor
- Two-piece version of the popular 8′ ParkNPole
- Makes transportation easy to and from the water or makes it…
- Helps when anchoring in deeper water
- Product Dimensions: 1 x 1 x 1 inches; 0.16 ounces
- The two-piece version of the popular 8” ParkNPole
- Made with fiberglass and is UV stabilized
- Designed for increased stability when anchoring in deeper waters
The YakAttack ParkNPole Link offers increased stability when anchoring in deeper waters. It breaks down into two sections which make for easy storage and transport. This kayak anchor is made of a wear-resistant nylon tip and a fiberglass body, making it lightweight but durable.
8. Garmin GPSMAP
Best Handheld Kayak Gear
- Sunlight Readable 2.6 inches color display. Display size :…
- Expanded Internal Memory 8GB.Display resolution 160 x 240…
- DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM Use with 2 traditional AA batteries…
- Uses a dual battery system for longer usage
- Comes with an expanded internal memory of 8GB
- Display resolution: 160 x 240 pixels
The Garmin GPSMAP comes with a 2.6-inch color screen that is readable even under the sunlight. It features a highly sensitive GPS and GLONASS receiver that can quickly and precisely locate your position. Even deep in the woods or in deep canyons, it can locate you and maintain your position.
This gear also has smartphone mapping software, allowing you to connect it to other compatible devices. Not to mention, it is compact and lightweight—the perfect gear to bring to your fishing kayak trips!
9. WOOWAVE Kayak Seat
Best Kayak Seat Cushions
- ☞【SAFE AND DURABLE MATERIAL】The deluxe kayak seat is…
- ☞【PROFESISIONAL AND PRACTICAL DESIGN】This cushioned…
- ☞【COMFORTABLE AND SUPERIOR EXPERIENCE】Foam filled seat…
- Seat Size: 12.2 x 15 inch (L x W)
- Backrest Size: 20.5 x 17.7 inch (W x H)
- Seat Bag Size: 11.8 x 8.7 x 4.7 inch (L x W x Thickness)
- Available in two colors: black and gray
The WOOWAVE is made of polyester and engineered EVA with copper metal hooks, making it last for a long time. It comes with a universal form-fitting design that fits on any boat and gives superior comfort to anglers of all body types.
It also gives anglers enough flexibility while kayak fishing. It comes with a waterproof detachable storage bag for your personal items.
10. Lixada Kayak Sun Shade Canopy
Best Kayak Shade Accessory
- Specially designed for single person kayak.
- Made of ripstop, water-resistant oxford cloth and shock-cord…
- Offers approx. 8 sq. ft. of coverage. Making you feel cool…
- Made with durable and water-resistant Oxford cloth and aviation aluminum rod
- Designed for single-person kayaks
- Lightweight and compact for easy storage and transport
- Package Dimensions: 23.62 x 4.13 x 2.56 inches
- Comes in 12 different colors
The Lixada Kayak Sun Shade Canopy features durable and water-resistant Oxford cloth, which protects anglers from sunburn. Its aluminum aviation rod makes it easy to install on kayaks and allows the canopy to stay in place.
It is also designed to withstand harsh marine environments. It is made for single-person kayaks, making it perfect if you want to fish without getting sunburned!
Customizing your kayaks and installing upgrades on your kayaks can be fun and easy. We recommend getting any of the kayak mods and accessories listed above, as they can enhance any angler’s kayaking.
Whatever DIY kayak upgrade you end up buying, make sure it fits your preferences and your own kayak for the best experience. After all, the extra cost of buying gear for your boat could benefit you in the long run.