Listen to this post on the Cast & Spear Podcast
In today’s podcast, we meet Professor Milton Love from the UCSB Love Lab. He’s an author of many books on fishing and specializes in Rockfish.
This is a great one!
In this episode we cover:
00:30: How he got into fishing
- Party boats
- Pier fishing
5:00: What they’re focused on in their lab
- Looking at if oil platforms are beneficial to fishes
- Using ROV for fish population research
- Off-shore wind farms off California – what does the electromagnetic field from the power cables do to the animals?
8:30: What are oil platforms to fish?
12:00: Why it’s hard to generalize fish
15:36: Do fish feel pain?
- The research isn’t convincing either way.
17:17: What is the state of our fisheries.
- Positive signs on the west coast of the US for rockfish
24:14: How do you catch and release rockfish
- Why you can put rockfish back down quickly they can survive
- What device you can use to get them back down
- Watch: Rockfish barotrauma
27:44: How to catch the rarer rockfish
- Why you should use sabikis
- 20lb test custom sabikis
32:25: Other tips for fishing
- Why the skippers of back in the day were AMAZING
37:59: Who is Oren Winfield?
- Some of his stories
41:00: Why those running the party boats now a bit different from the old-timers
46:53: The El Nino of 57-58
50:38: What fish should you target?
- General rule: bigger the fish and longer it lives the higher the methylmercury
53:34: Milton’s thoughts on Global Warming
- Why it comes down to politics
- Global Warm is real and it’s happening
- Why we need to work together to tackle it
55:35: What Milton would want on his World Billboard
57:27: How people can find Milton
- Search Love Lab UCSB
- [email protected]
- Books: Certainly more than you want to know about the fishes of the Pacific Coast
1:01:00: If you’re thinking about being a marine biologist – Do it!
- How to get into it in your thirties
- Why it’s never too late to chase your dreams
The Anglers Behind This Article: