Although catching timid trout species can be difficult, having the right trout fishing equipment will make your fishing trip much more straightforward.
You’ll also have the best chance of landing a beautiful trout if you use a spinning reel and rod that work in tandem. But in terms of finding the best trout spinning reel, how will you know what to look for?
This article will assist you in learning and selecting the best trout spinning reels. In line with that, we have listed the top 7 spinning reels so you can choose the one that will fit your needs! Keep on reading!
7 Best Trout Spinning Reels
- The Next-Level Spinning Reel – Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel
- Best Reel for Freshwater Fishing – Pflueger President Reel
- Best Reel for Catching Big Trouts – Penn Pursuit III & Pursuit IV Spinning Fishing Reel
- Best Reel for Balance and Stability – Okuma Epixor XT Freshwater Reel
- Best Reel for Hardcore Fishing – Okuma Helios Lightweight Reel
- A High-Quality Budget-Friendly Reel – KastKing Brutus Reel
- High-Performing Compact Reel – KastKing Summer and Centron
1. Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel
The Next-Level Trout Spinning Reel
- Equipped with an additional bearing
- With an am gearing system for precision
- Has eight stainless steel bearings (HPCR)
- Incorporated with Al spool and rocket spool lip design
- C6 carbon body for a lightweight reel
This latest Abu Garcia Spinning trout reel has a world-class, advanced design for a spinning reel. It utilizes the C6 carbon body finish incorporated with a single gearbox made of aluminum.
The slow oscillation system allows excellent controls for a braided line and other types of lines.
More importantly, a breakthrough of this generation is its improved lightweight design while retaining its superior durability and rigidity, making it perfect for any type of fishing!
2. Pflueger President Reel
Best Reel for Freshwater Fishing
- Constructed with lightweight graphite reel
- With a lubricated and sealed drag system
- Slow oscillation gearing enhances line lays
This Pflueger President reel is known as a model for entry levels. It is the ideal reel for starters because of its lightweight graphite bodies, suitable for several fishing techniques.
In addition, it has a smooth operating reel free from undesirable jams and twitches.
Thus, use it only for freshwater fishing to make it last, as saltwater fishing can make it rust easily. Lastly, it can be paired with any appropriate spinning rod, making it an easy setup for angling adventures.
3. Penn Pursuit III & Pursuit IV Spinning Fishing Reel
Best Reel for Catching Big Trouts
- With corrosion-resistant and lightweight graphite bodies
- Shielded stainless steel ball bearings for smooth operation
- The PENN Pursuit III construction improves durability
- Has HT-100 carbon fiber drag system
The Penn Pursuit III is a budget-friendly reel that is only ideal for catching trout that are large. It is also an excellent water-resistant reel for kayak fishing, where there are big chances of getting wet.
On top of that, its aluminum spool with superfine compatibility is designed to eliminate line slippage.
In terms of notable features, the Penn Pursuit IV has a noncorrosive graphite body and an HT-100 drag system, which is an excellent choice for saltwater anglers.
It also provides an instant anti-reverse bearing to resist even the lighter back plays from motors, allowing instant hookups and smooth retrieving from its four sealed stainless ball bearings.
Best Reel for Balance and Stability
- With torsion control to reduce twisting action
- Designed for use with braided lines
- With a metal handle design and two-toned anodized pool
- Featured with 1-K woven carbon fiber drag knobs to lessen weight
This Epixor XT model brings an all-new generation of trout reels and is a perfect addition to your tackle box.
The reel can fight against the torsion control frame thanks to its C-40x feature, which is more lightweight and durable than other standard materials made of graphite.
Trout anglers using braided lines will find this reel a good option as it has a slow oscillation system for each clean line lay. Lastly, its added rotor and graphite side plates provide the utmost balance and stability.
5. Okuma Helios Lightweight Spinning Reel
Best Reel for Hardcore Fishing
- Suitable for both inshore saltwater and freshwater fisheries
- Has eight high-performing stainless steel and non-corrosive bearings
- Equipped with cut brass gear for a smooth finish
- Constructed with C-40X long-strand carbon fiber for exemplary handling
This advanced reel is equipped with C40x carbon frames and skid plates. The torsion armor controls have extreme durability that can dramatically decrease unwanted torques and twists while fishing.
Thus, these features allow its internal parts to stay intact and aligned.
Aside from that, it’s designed with a cyclonic flow rotor to allow fast drying of the reel, making it corrosion-resistant. If you want a super light build with significant performance, this is for you.
6. KastKing Brutus Spinning Reel
A High-Quality Budget-Friendly Reel
- With zinc alloy main gear for durability
- Has brass pinion gear for strength
- Has a multi-disc drag system
- With left or right-hand retrieve handles for convenience
This budget-friendly reel is designed with a graphite frame to make it portable. Aside from that, it has sufficient durability to catch trout.
KastKing Brutus Reel has double-shielded ball bearings for a smooth fishing experience. In addition to that, it can provide comfort with its reversible handle and secure rubber grips.
Also, its instant anti-reverse mechanism can use fast hook sets and short-line management.
7. KastKing Summer and Centron
High-Performing Compact Reel
- Has a power launch lip
- Has a hardened main metal shaft
- Allows up to 17.5 lbs high stopping power
With its budget-friendly price and great features, this reel can give a fun fishing experience for both professional anglers and starters. It is designed with a narrow and lightweight graphite frame for convenience.
In addition, it has a durable and fine ball bearing with an anti-reverse mechanism for excellent execution and greater fishing line size compared to other spinning reels from KastKing.
Although its gear ratio is not the best, it can perform better in freshwater.
Things to Consider When Buying Trout Spinning Reels
This system’s role is to apply enough pressure when you hook on a fish and improve your ability to control it.
The two drag systems are available, namely the front and rear drag. Front and rear drag mainly describe where the drag controls are located.
For easy accessibility when locking on to a hard-fighting fish, choose rear-drag control, where adjustments are needed when dragging.
Meanwhile, although front-drag systems are trickier with complicated adjustments, they have better overall durability and performance.
Spools are line holders and can impact your distance and smooth casting performance. Thus, most reel spools are made of anodized aluminum and graphite.
So choosing graphite will make your reel lighter. Meanwhile, aluminum retains its durability even under tremendous pressure.
Ball bearings are found inside the reel’s body. They allow for stable and smooth functionality for line reeling. Some of the best trout spinning reels have smooth action; in some instances, more bearings can help improve the functionality of the reel.
The ideal spinning reel for trout has between three to five ball bearings. Although, a more significant number of bearings do not always improve the reel’s quality.
Other features such as a high-quality drag system, the reel’s build quality, and the quality of the material used will be more important when impacting the reel’s final overall functionality.
Several trout reels are available on the market, and the price varies for each. It depends on the quality, model, and material. So, if your budget is around 100 to 500 dollars, deciding which one to purchase won’t be easy.
As a rule of thumb, buying a good quality reel is safe. You will need to consider high-quality trout reels as an investment instead of a money burner. Usually, when skimping on trout reels, you will spend more by purchasing replacement parts and on maintenance.
Reels with at least or nearing a 5:1 gear ratio are going to be helpful for your baits to reach their ultimate depth. In addition, this will also let you get a better feel, so you will be more aware of what your lure is experiencing below the boat.
The size of the trout reel depends on what kind of fish you are targeting and what is convenient for you. However, it’s generally best to go for trout fishing reels with smaller sizes for trout fishing.
Choosing 2500 trout fishing reels would be ideal for trout fishing in freshwater. It’s better when used with 5 to 12 lbs braided lines. The smallest and lightest trout reels will always be a good choice.
Get the Most out of Your Trout Fishing Experience
Trout fishing, especially for beginners, can be a challenging experience as they are relatively difficult to spot and are notoriously picky eaters.
You need to take time to look for areas where they thrive. If fishing on a river, it is best to target deep holes and meanders. These are usually locations in which trout will hide. If targeting lake trout, you should look for structures as trout will hide around fallen trees, shrubbery, or islands.
The best spinning reel for trout is lightweight and efficient. Ensure you take note of all features and factors mentioned before making your decision.