If you plan to buy the water-repelling spray that will best keep the moisture and stains out, this article is right for you. This article presents the seven best waterproofing sprays based on customer reviews, product descriptions, and price worth.
With its various features and descriptions, there’s no doubt that you will be able to find one that is suitable for you!
Our Top Picks
7 Best Waterproofing Sprays
1. Nikwax TX.Direct Spray-On
Best for Waterproof Outdoor Gear
- Restores DWR water-repellency and revives breathability of...
- For use on all waterproof outerwear, such as rain and ski...
- Spray-on application
- Creates a DWR coating to revive the water repellency of waterproof outerwears
- Spray-on application
- For waterproof gear like raincoats and ski jackets
- Can be used on technical clothing material
- Water-based and biodegradable, odorless, doesn’t contain fluorocarbons
Nikwax Tx maintains waterproof outerwear moisture-free while maintaining its breathability. It is indicated for technical clothing, synthetic sleeping bags and camping tents, rain gear and ski jackets, GORE-TEX, and other brands.
2. Sof Sole Unisex-Adult Silicone Waterproofer
Best Waterproofing Spray for Outdoor Clothing
- 12 percent silicone formula creates durable, long lasting...
- Aerosol can offers easy application
- Ideal for use on hiking or work boots, tents, camping and...
- Has aerosol spray that offers easy application
- Consists of a 12 percent silicone formula that offers durability
- Repels water, dirt, and oil for long periods
- Ideal for gear aid, hiking boots, boat covers, canvas tent, and other outdoor gear
- Contraindicated for breathable technical fibers (such as GORE-TEX)
Sof Sole Heavy Duty Waterproofer is a silicone-based spray that helps keep your outdoor gear dryer longer by creating a long-lasting waterproof bond and repelling water and oil during wear.
It’s perfect for outdoor apparel, work gear, and outdoor equipment. This camp-dry heavy-duty water-repellent spray is also a great stain repellent.
3. Scotchgard Heavy Duty Water Shield
Best for Outdoor Furniture
- Creates durable Protection from the elements with just one...
- Safe for use on polyester, Nylon, polypropylene, cotton,...
- Ideal for use on outerwear, Rain gear, umbrellas, patio...
- Repel water for long periods with just one spray
- Safe for fabrics such as polyester, nylon, polypropylene, cotton, leather, suede
- For outerwear and outdoor patio furniture
Scotchgard is a heavy-duty water-repellent spray that is used to repel water in just one spray. It is useful on different fabrics without affecting the fabric’s breathability and color.
Due to its repelling features, Scotchgard is best used for outerwear and outdoor furniture.
4. Forcefield Unisex-Adult Waterproof and Stain Resistant Protectant Spray
Best Waterproof Spray for All Types of Foot Apparel
- Provides a protectant water repellent barrier for stains and...
- Invisible coating protects footwear and gear from UV fading...
- Quick dry time cures within 23 minutes on easy spray on...
- Provides water protection for any type of foot apparel, outerwear, tent walls, and hats
- One application treatment can last a year
- Protect the material from staining with no sticky residue
- A quick-dry feature that will only take 23 minutes
- Composed of a hydrophobic formula
Forcefield repellent spray is perfect for all kinds of footwear; it creates a water-repelling barrier and armor protection against all types of elements for your shoes, backpacks, and hats.
The barrier acts as a fabric guard that protects your shoes from moisture without destroying their breathability.
Best for Leather and Synthetic Footwear
- Aerosol sprays for synthetic and leather footwear
- Non-silicone-based sprays
- Contains no fluorocarbons
- Maintains footwear’s breathability while repelling stains
Nikwax Fabric & Leather Proof Waterproofing spray has an easy spray-on application. It has an amazing water-repellency for your synthetic and leather footwear. This water-repellent bottle is environmentally friendly and has no added scent.
6. Gorilla Waterproof Patch & Seal Spray
Best for Preventing Leaks
- SEALS OUT WATER, AIR AND MOISTURE: Gorilla Waterproof Patch...
- EASY TO USE: The applicator nozzle has a controlled spray...
- TEMPERATURE AND UV RESISTANT: When dried, Gorilla Waterproof...
- A flexible and rubberized coating that seals out water, air, and moisture
- Seam sealer that prevents leaks
- Easy to use mist applicator attached to the spray bottle
- Temperature and UV resistant making it long-lasting
- Can be used on various natural and synthetic materials
Gorilla Waterproof Patch & Seal Spray is made to prevent multiple coats. Remember to cure in between coats before exposure to moisture to make sure that all cracks and holes have been filled.
Its product features allow it to be a versatile option for different kinds of materials for construction. It is easy to use, and it’s paintable.
7. Star Brite Waterproofing Spray
Best for New Fabrics
- Waterproofing plus UV and stain protection for boat covers,...
- Does not change the breathabilty, color, or feel of fabric
- Great for use on new fabrics, greatly extending their...
- Waterproofing with stain and UV protection
- Creates an invisible barrier for protection against moisture
- Does not affect the fabric’s breathability, texture, and color
Star Brite Waterproofing Spray acts as a fabric guard against UV; this spray is great for new materials.
Additionally, this waterproofing spray protects against UV rays and moisture stains.
How Waterproofing Spray Works
Waterproofing sprays are usually composed of a chemical compound that is water-repelling — like silicone.
When a fabric or a material is sprayed and dries, the coating acts as a protective layer that seals the material’s pores. This makes the pores smaller and restricts moisture from entering.
A good waterproofing spray does not damage or affect the material’s breathability, even with multiple coatings.
However, even the heavy-duty waterproof sprays will wear off after some time, depending on how frequently you use your gear. With this, there is the need to re-waterproof the material.
Things to Consider
Durability and Protection
When choosing the best waterproof spray to suit your needs, you must consider the product’s durability. Choose the product that can do its job and repel liquids for a long time.
A good waterproof spray should protect your fabric from all types of elements while also allowing easy application; it can be a heavy-duty water repellent that can last for a long time.
Also, consider how much protection the product can do to your fabrics. You would want a waterproofing spray that is heavy-duty and can protect your materials for a long time.
Potential Fabric Alteration
When you look for the best waterproof spray, ensure that it will not affect or damage your fabric. Choose those that will not damage or destroy your fabric’s natural breathability. You should also prefer waterproof spray that will not cause any discoloration on your fabric.
Know the composition of waterproof sprays. You have to know which ones will be the most compatible with your fabric.
If you apply a waterproof spray that is not allowed on your material, you might end up damaging it.
Ease of Use
Choose the waterproofing spray that is easy to use. Many options come in spray bottles and are easy to apply, so consider those kinds, especially when you’re outdoors.
You can apply waterproof sprays to what you wear or what you use. You must choose the best one that is also the safest for you. Those products with harmful chemicals may also harm you, especially when your skin comes in contact with them.
Look into the composition of your waterproofing spray options and try to research each ingredient to know that what you purchase is safe.
Knowing the side effects is also an important thing to take note of. You should look into whether the product can bring potential side effects to your fabric or even to you.
This key element will help you weigh the pros and cons of all your options.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do water sprays last?
They are usually composed of a unique formula that should last for long periods. Atsko silicone water guard is an example of a water-repellent spray that can last a long time.
Generally, water repellent coats will wear off after some time, especially when the fabric is constantly exposed to sunlight. The longevity of the product also depends on how frequently you use your gear.
Do I have to pre-wash before waterproofing?
Prewashing depends on the product. Most waterproofing sprays require you to pre-rinse the fabric to remove any detergent residue when they come straight out of the washing machine.
Just make sure that the material is clean and dirt-free before you spray on it.
Do waterproofing sprays work
Generally speaking, it should work when the right waterproofing spray is used with the right kind of fabric. Ensure that you know which type of spray is the best fit for your material.
Whether it’s your footwear, outerwear, or any other furniture and gear, keeping them out of moisture is important! Keeping your belongings out of water protects them from getting damaged and destroyed.
Before deciding on the best waterproof sprays, it’s always best to read different product reviews, as in this article!
The Anglers Behind This Article: