The best side imaging fish finders are getting more and more popular with anglers, but they can be a bit confusing to use.
Side-imaging sonar is an exciting technology that lets you see what’s on the bottom of the lake or ocean floor in high definition. It shows objects in 3D and color, so it’s easy to distinguish baitfish from predators like bass or pike.
We’ve got all the information you need about the top rated fish finders including which models we recommend for specific fishing conditions.
Check out our reviews of some of the most popular brands available today and choose the best side imaging fish finder for you!
Our Top Picks
8 Best Side Imaging Fish Finder
- Best Side Imaging Fish Finder for Mapping – Elite-9 Ti2-9-inch Fishfinder
- Best for Indoor and Outdoor Fishing – Humminbird 409820-1 Helix 7 Fishfinder
- Best GPS – HOOK2 Fish Finder with TripleShot Transducer and GPS Plotter
- Best Fishfinder for Bass Fishing – Lowrance HOOK 2 5 – 5-inch Fish Finder
- Best for Unprecedented Underwater Clarity – Humminbird 410950-1 GPS G3 Fishfinder
- Best Fishfinder for Any Water Forms – Lowrance Hook Reveal 7 Fish Finder
- Best Fish Finder for Day Fishing – Garmin Striker Plus 9SV with CV52HW-TM transducer
- Best Fish Finder for Beginners – Lowrance Elite FS 9 Fish Finder
1. Elite-9 Ti2-9-inch Fishfinder
Best Side Imaging Fish Finder for Mapping
- Elite-9 Ti2 – 9-inch Fish Finder with Active Imaging…
- ENHANCED DISPLAY TECHNOLOGY: High-resolution, 9-inch…
- ACTIVE IMAGING: See structure and cover with a new level of…
- Enhanced display screen
- Has an Active imaging
- Pre-loaded high detail mapping
- Wireless networking capability
The Elite-9 Ti2-9-inch Fish Finder has unique side imaging features such as four-color temperature settings (daylight, cloudy, evening, and night mode). It also includes line of sight calculations for fishing in murky water conditions.
On top of that, it has an internal compass that shows the direction of the fish’s path and an electronic compass to help you find your way back to shore.
2. Humminbird 409820-1 Helix 7 Fishfinder
Best for Indoor and Outdoor Fishing
- Dual Beam Plus sonar included
- 800H x 480V Resolution
- Internal precision GPS
- Dual Beam Plus sonar imaging technology
- Internal precision GPS and target separation
- Has a 50% Brighter Display
- 800H x 480V Resolution
Humminbird 409820-1 Helix 7 Fishfinder is one of the most popular fish finders for its underwater camera that records videos and pictures in real-time.
It also comes with an LCD screen, which lets you view the images for easy navigation. More importantly, It’s lightweight, compact, and easy to use, perfect for any location when fishing!
3. HOOK2 Fish Finder with TripleShot Transducer and GPS Plotter
- 9-inch solarmax screen
- Automated sonar settings
- Easy to find fish with double the sonar coverage of…
- Has a fully automated side imaging sonar settings
- Easy-to-use menus
- One-touch access to important features
The Hook2 Fish Finder with TripleShot Transducer and GPS Plotter helps you find, locate, and record fish.
The device also features a built-in GPS tracker that can track your location up to 50 meters. Additionally, it records the depth of each fish’s trip using an LCD screen display.
4. Lowrance HOOK 2 5 – 5-inch Fish Finder
Best Fishfinder for Bass Fishing
- HOOK2 5 – 5-inch Fish Finder with TripleShot Transducer and…
- EASIEST TO USE: The Lowrance HOOK2 5 Fish Finder features…
- WIDER SONAR COVERAGE: The HOOK2 5 offers a wide-angle CHIRP…
- Has preloaded high-detail mapping
- Has down and side scan imaging
- Has a GPS plotter
- Wider angle chirp sonar technology
Lowrance HOOK 5 Fish Finder is a digitally controlled fish finder that is easy to use and comes with all the necessary accessories.
You can use this device in many fishing situations, such as bass fishing. However, you can also use it for other types of fishing, such as walleye fishing, kayak fishing, and even ice fishing.
5. Humminbird 410950-1 GPS G3 Fishfinder
Best for Unprecedented Underwater Clarity
- 7-Inch screen with 800H x 480V resolution color TFT display
- Mega Side Imaging: see the world below like never before…
- Mega Down Imaging: Get unprecedented underwater clarity with…
- 800H x 480V resolution color TFT display
- Has mega downscan imaging
- Has Dual Spectrum CHIRP sonar beam for maximum coverage
- 7-Inch screen display
The Humminbird 410950-1 GPS Fishfinder comes with all the hardware accessories needed to get angling right away. It also has an easy-to-use design that contains all of its essential features.
Additionally, this fish finder has four high-sensitivity sensors, down imaging, and a powerful power supply that uses modern autotuning sonar technology, unlike traditional sonar that “listens” for echoes.
6. Lowrance Hook Reveal 7 Fish Finder
Best Fishfinder for Any Water Forms
- FISHREVEAL: Fish are easier to find and easier to identify….
- HIGH-DETAIL INLAND MAPS: Get high-detail maps of almost…
- TRIPLESHOT TRANSDUCER: Perfect for anglers who want all…
- Comes with a fish reveal feature
- Has a Triple Shot transducer
- 7-inch display with led backlight
- Has a high-detail inland maps
The Hook Reveal 7 fish finder is a great fishing tool for freshwater, saltwater, and marine anglers. It comes with an electronic transducer that locates fish in the water column.
On top of that, its compact size allows it to be used anywhere from boats to kayaks.
7. Garmin Striker Plus 9SV with CV52HW-TM transducer
Best Fish Finder for Day Fishing
- Includes transducer for built-in Garmin CHIRP traditional…
- Striker series does not accept any mapping software and does…
- Built-in Wi-Fi for access to ActiveCaptain app so you can…
- Has a Built-in WiFi
- Has a Built-in GPS
- Has a Bright, sunlight-readable 9-inch display
The Garmin Striker Plus 9SV with CV52HW-TM transducer is a powerful fishfinder that uses a high-resolution display. It is equipped with a GPS to locate fish quickly.
It also can upload photos, create maps, and share them on Garmin Connect™. On top of that, it is a waterproof unit that provides detailed data that you can use to identify the fish you are looking for.
8. Lowrance Elite FS 9 Fish Finder
Best Fish Finder for Beginners
- ACTIVE IMAGING 3-IN-1: See structure and cover with a new…
- ACTIVETARGET READY: See high-resolution images of fish…
- FULL NETWORKING: Build the complete Elite Fishing System…
- Has active Imaging 3-in-1 chirp sonar scanner
- Has a 9-inch multi-touch screen with split-screen
- High-resolution images of fish
- Wireless and ethernet connectivity
The new features on the Elite series include an OLED display, improved Bluetooth connectivity, a stronger antenna design, and automatic calibration to get fishing results that are perfect every time.
All of these features make the FS 9 ideal for both beginners and professionals alike.
Things to Consider When Buying the Best Fish Finders
You can choose the best fish finder by knowing its features and all the benefits it can offer you. However, there are tons of side imaging fishfinder options available on the market. So remember to choose the best one that would cater to your needs.
Here are some key factors to consider when buying the best side imaging fishfinder.
One of the key factors you should consider before buying a fish finder is how much battery life your side imaging fishfinder has. When power is low, the Fish Finder won’t work well, and it will be more difficult to locate your prey.
You can buy a cheap fish finder that has low power and only lasts a few hours. Alternatively, you can buy an expensive one that has high power and lasts up to 2 hours.
Several side imaging fish finders are available, including single-channel depth, multiple-channel multibeam sonar, and multi-beam directional sonar. The image produced by each type of fish finder varies based on its design and computerized algorithms.
Install your side imaging transducer in a location that is unobstructed from all sides. In addition, your transducer should be connected to your boat’s electrical system, so it functions optimally. Poor transducer placement can cause the image to look distorted.
Fishfinder screen resolution, also known as fishfinder view, is the number of pixels the Fish Finder camera lens can capture. The higher this number, the more useful it is for fishing.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Working with a side imaging fish finder can be challenging, especially for beginner anglers. For this reason, we have put together some of the most frequently asked questions about this device.
Can You See Fish on Side Imaging?
Yes, the fish finder uses side imaging to detect more fish in the water column. It works by using an optical sensor on the front of the unit to convert the light bouncing off the water into electrical signals.
It then looks at one of the hundreds of camera designs, determining best suited for detection.
Which is better, Side Imaging or Down Imaging?
When it comes to your fishing needs, the choice of sonar type will come down to what application you need a fishfinder for. Side imaging is best for shallow water, while down imaging is for deep waters.
Most fish finders come with the latest sonar technologies and are easy to use. They are also convenient because they are lightweight and compact. Thus, having one can help an angler locate fishes that are hard to find. So having the best side imaging fish finder is a must!
Nevertheless, we hope that this article helped you in finding the fish finder you need.