Looking for a new spinning reel? How about one under $100?
There are tons of high-quality spinning reels within this price range that perform well. In fact, you don’t need to buy an expensive one. Affordable reels are also great especially if you’re a beginner and want to practice in the meantime.
If you’re overwhelmed and can’t seem to find the right reel for you, don’t worry. We’ve done all that hard work for you. In this article, we’ve listed seven of the best spinning reel under 100. Hopefully, this will help you catch fish and enjoy your time fishing without breaking the bank!
Our Top Picks
7 Best Spinning Reel Under $100
1. PENN Battle III Spinning Reel
Workhorse Reel for the Budget-Minded Angler
- Full Metal Body and sideplate
- CNC Gear technology
- HT-100 carbon fiber drag washers
- HT-100 carbon fiber drag system designed to last longer than 100 miles of line off of the reel without wearing down
- Full metal body and side plate to keep your gear protected from saltwater
- CNC gear technology allows for accuracy in every detail
- Features a braid-ready reel that keeps the super line from slipping
This spinning reel under $100 is the perfect blend of quality, durability, and value. It’s one of the top spinning reels that’s loaded with top-of-the-line features yet affordable for everyone. It’s reliable enough to last season after season.
2. Daiwa BG Saltwater Spinning Reel
Best Inshore Fishing Reel
- Black Anodized Machined Aluminum Housing ("Hard Bodyz" Body...
- Solid Screw-In Handle, Air Rotor, Dynamic Cut Aluminum ABS...
- Braided Line Ready Spool, Waterproof Drag System, Carbon...
- Max drag power that can withstand the tussle and prevent it from snapping
- Massive line capacity helps eliminate back play when setting the hook
- High-speed spinning reel with a Hard Bodyz design for durability
- The infinite anti-reverse system eliminates any distraction allowing for a heightened sense of sensitivity
- Stainless steel bail wire ensures proper weight distribution along the fishing rod during use
Daiwa BG2500 BG has been one of the most popular spinning reels industry standards for decades. It offers high-quality features to make fishing more fun.
These reels are affordable, easy to maintain, and easily purchased parts from any store with a Daiwa catalog. No angler’s gearbox is complete without one on board!
Top-Rated Cheap Spinning Reels
- Line Retrieve Per Crank: 29.50 inch, Gear ratio: 4.7:1
- Line capacity (lb/yds): 8/240, 10/200, 12/160
- Line capacity (mm/meter): 0.25/260, 0.30/180, 0.35/130
- Upgraded performance for reeling
- Lighter, faster, and stronger construction of product
- Magnumlite Rotor is super lightweight to make a sharper and quick response
- Max drag power that can withstand the tussle and prevent it from snapping
When shopping for the best spinning reel bass fishing, it is important to consider the construction and weight of the product. SHIMANO provides those features in their Sedona FI Spinning Reel! These reels also work well with all water conditions, such as heavy cover and ones that are clear.
4. Pflueger President Spinning Fishing Reel
Best Bass Spinning Reel
- 10 bearing system: Corrosion resistant stainless steel ball...
- Graphite body and rotor: Lightweight graphite reel...
- HT 100 carbon fiber drag system provides powerful drag...
- Stainless steel bearings offer resistance to corrosion
- A lightweight graphite reel body transmits the power of your handle directly to our rotor, so you can fish completely without interruption
- Minimizes line twist through slow oscillation gearing
- Aircraft-grade aluminum handles for maximum durability
Pflueger President spinning reel is truly one of the best. This top-quality reel is the perfect choice for anglers who want to get away from reels with multiple ball bearings and other features.
The Pflueger President gives you a lightweight spinning reel and incredible capacity without making sacrifices in performance.
5. KastKing Sharky III Fishing Reel
Highly Versatile Fishing Reel
- NEXT-GEN - The brand new design KastKing Sharky III spinning...
- PURE POWER - You will love Sharky III spinning reel's...
- K.I.S.S. - Sharky III spinning reels are sealed with a KISS!...
- Lightweight reel made for the smallest hooks and baits or lures
- Anti-corrosive drive gear that lasts for a longer time
- A sturdy built with oversized stainless steel is used for the main shaft of the reel as it enables one to pull large fishes
- Anti-Slip E.V.A Grips for better grip and increased power
The Sharky III is one of the recently updated and best spinning reels in the market. It’s a phenomenal new and improved reel that allows everyone to catch large fish with much ease, no matter their level. With KastKing’s monofilament fishing line, you can cast farther and longer than ever before.
6. Pflueger Fishing Reel
- 10 bearing System - corrosion resistant stainless ball...
- Aluminum main shaft - 30% lighter than stainless steel
- Aluminum pinion gear - 60% lighter than traditional brass...
- Smooth casting to reel in big fish
- Reel size is a 7-ball bearing system to increase speed
- Slow oscillation gearing enhances line lay and minimizes line twists
- Aluminum handle for maximum durability
- Soft-touch knob enhances grip and comfort
The Pflueger fishing reel is a great investment for any angler. The product is crafted by people who have years of experience on the water. It’s designed to work every single time you use it.
Furthermore, its skill in precision manufacturing ensures that each piece is tried for functionality and tightened with tolerances measured near perfection.
7. PENN Pursuit III Spinning Fishing Reel
- Superline spool
- Ht-100 carbon fiber drag washers
- HT-100 drag system for smooth catch
- CNC folding aluminum handle maximizes excellent grip
- 4 Shielded Stainless Steel Ball Bearings provide a better stability in high-temperature environments
- Infinite anti-reverse engages and activates drag when you cast or retrieve your fishing line to prevent backlashes
A lightweight graphite body makes this reel both corrosion resistant and less fatigue-inducing than other reels on the market.
It also comes with excellent durability coupled with pro-level drag system performance. If you’re in the market for a budget reel, then PENN Pursuit III will be your best friend!
Things to Consider When Buying a Spinning Reel
A gear ratio indicates the number of times a spool spins for each turn of the handle on your fishing reel. The gear ratio on these reels will directly impact your efficiency on the water. That’s why it can be important to align your goals with the proper gear ratio.
There are three main categories of gear ratios for anglers:
- Slow reels have a ratio below 6:1
- Medium is roughly between 6-7:1
- Fast ranges from 7 to 1 or faster
High-Quality Ball Bearings
Master anglers will tell you that four or five bearings are needed to make a reel work. These bearing sets allow for smooth handling of the spool and handle. However, additional bearings do not affect this aspect in any way.
Freshwater or Saltwater
Saltwater corrosion is so strong that it can erode solid metal structures with ease. This means fishing gear manufacturers make sure to account for the corrosive environment when making salt-resistant equipment.
Less corrosive materials such as copper are often used when making this type of equipment. In this way, they have a better chance at withstanding harsh environments like the open sea or surf-fishing conditions.
The freshwater spinning reels are made from standard metal and do not have special enclosures. However, this equipment has an Achilles heel. It’s vulnerable to rusting because of its lack of protection against all elements (especially salt water).
The drag system on a fishing reel is crucial for using the right pressure to catch your desired fish. It’s a vital component on larger reels that you use to catch bigger fish species. Especially for some who fight back when they get a hooked line in their mouths.
You want one that smoothly engages and has enough power for big fish. However, not so much as it damages smaller lines or breaks them off prematurely. Especially during fighting scenes where small hooks catch big fishes.
A front drag system is controlled by a dial, while the rear one has to be adjusted with a knob. The adjustments allow you to pick how much tension there will be on your reel line. It can also help improve your catch rate in terms of fish weight if set correctly. However, this depends on which type you’re using for what kind of water or situation.
Aluminum and carbon reels are the most common, affordable option for most anglers. They offer durability at a reasonable price point that other materials can’t match.
Plastic is inexpensive but has short life expectancies as it breaks easily. Magnesium may be expensive with good longevity if you’re willing to pay more upfront for quality.
Utilizing aluminum, magnesium, plastic, and carbon in their reel frames is the best durability material. Magnesium is a good option for higher-end reels because it’s lightweight and durable. Carbon is also an excellent choice because its low weight makes fishing easier on your hands.
Line Rating and Capacity
You’ll need to keep an eye on your line capacity when it comes time for a fishing expedition. As the spool size increases, so does the amount of line stored and utilized from within.
There are two different types of capacities: one is designed specifically for braided lines, while another accommodates monofilament. This versatility allows you to switch between these materials with ease during changing conditions or emergencies.
It’s hard to figure out which spinning reel you should use. There are so many different types and brands that it can be overwhelming trying to figure out which one is best for your style of fishing. You don’t want to spend a ton of money on a new spinning reel. However, you also want something that will last.
The right one for you comes down to knowing how you plan to use the reel. Hopefully, this article helped save some valuable hours by helping you decide which best spinning reels under $100 suit your needs best.
The Anglers Behind This Article: