Boat owners are always looking for the best trolling motor to use with their boat.
Not all trolling motors are created equal and it can be hard to figure out which one is right for you.
We’ve done the research and we’ll save you time by reviewing the best trolling motor for bass boat, so that you can make an informed decision about your next purchase.
Our Top Picks
Here are a few more articles you might want to check out:
Best Trolling Motor for Bass Boats
- Best Motor for Freshwater Bass Boat – Minn Kota Ulterra Freshwater Trolling Motor
- Best Remote Control Trolling Motor – MotorGuide Xi3 Trolling Motor
- Best for Demanding Marine Conditions – Minn Kota Terrova Trolling Motor
- Most Quiet Bass Boat Trolling Motor – Minn Kota 1358731 PowerDrive Trolling Motor
- Most Excellent Battery-Powered Motor – AQUOS Haswing CaymanB Electric Trolling Motor
- Best Boat in Speed Control – Newport Vessels L-Series Saltwater Electric Trolling Motor
Here is a review of 6 trolling motors for bass fishing in 2022 with class innovative propulsion technology.
1. Minn Kota Ulterra Freshwater Trolling Motor
Best Motor for Freshwater Bass Boat
- Optimized performance and shallow noise level
- Highly resistant to corrosion
- Fully -automatic
- Has an optimized high-speed engine
- Compact and lightweight design for freshwater steering
The Ulterra Freshwater Trolling Motor is an electric trolling motor designed for use in freshwaters. It is supplied with the Lubitel-Ulterra Trolling Paddles, specifically made to fit this particular trolling motor.
For best results, you will need to have at least ten feet of water depth in your lake or pond to ensure the maximum capacity of the boat. However, beware of gravel pits and sandbars below as they may affect its steering performance.
2. MotorGuide Xi3 Trolling Motor
Best Remote Control Trolling Motor
- Wireless remote control lets you precisely operate the motor…
- Innovative mount features easy-to-read LED dashboard that…
- Efficient motor provides best-in-class quiet operation…
- Has an innovative LED display to view functions
- USB charging cable
- Wireless remote control capabilities
- Integrated battery level indicator
- Complete touchscreen control
The MotorGuide Xi3 is the latest Bow Mount Trolling Motor that has become popular among many anglers. Each unit weighs just over 3 pounds and can be mounted on either a five or ten-pound clip-on bow or an 8-pound fixed bow firmly fixed to the sea bed.
A backup battery pack can be attached to the motor for up to 7 days of continuous use without draining the power source.
The machine features an LCD that displays your speed, water depth, strike pressure, angling angle, distance traveled, time remaining, and brightness level.
3. Minn Kota Terrova Trolling Motor
Best for Demanding Marine Conditions
- The Minn Kota Terrova features an easy-to-deploy system of…
- A low-profile electric foot pedal offers two steering…
- Using GPS to lock onto fishing spots with Spot-Lock, record…
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Has a quiet but powerful motor
- Autopilot, wireless foot pedal/foot control
- I-pilot Remote control operation
- Digital maximizer
- Pre-installed integrated GPS anchor
The Terrova is a great trolling motor ideal for bass fishing, although it lacks some fancy additions. For instance, it does not automatically stow itself and does not connect to Hummingbird electronics.
However, suppose you want your bass boat to withstand the harshest of water conditions. In that case, you can opt-in to this one because its sturdy engine is designed to offer exceptional performance and reliability.
4. Minn Kota 1358731 PowerDrive Trolling Motor
Most Quiet Bass Boat Trolling Motor
- 48″ Shaft, 12v, 45 lbs Thrust
- Deploy-Assist Lever: Get in and out of the water easily….
- Side-To-Side/Electric Foot Pedal: Control speed, steering,…
- Single-speed, high torque motor
- Compact design for easy installation
- High efficiency, quietest trolling motor
The Minn Kota is a waterproof trolling motor ideal for large bass boats.
It comes with an on/off switch, push pump, on/off ball valve, quick release pin for easy installation/removal, and three-speed control lever. The Minn Kota 1358731 trolling motor has a capacity of 0.7 horsepower at 1450 rpm.
However, the lower gear offers less power but is more accurate. This trolling motor is made perfectly for the freshwater environment!
If you are looking for something to help you get to your favorite fishing spot, this trolling motor will be a great fit.
5. AQUOS Haswing CaymanB Electric Trolling Motor
Most Excellent Battery-Powered Motor
- Haswing Cayman 24V 80LBS 48″ Shaft Bow Mount Trolling Motor…
- The remote control fits into the palm of your hand easily or…
- Cruise control keeps your boat at the desired speed by using…
- Cruise control for guided trolling
- Long-life battery
- Corrosion-resistant engine; built to last long
- Long drift range
- Adjustable speed control for different boat sizes
This bass boat trolling motor utilizes a system of speed control that allows it to be adjusted depending on the conditions of the watercraft to ensure optimal performance.
It is equipped with the latest technology and has the most exquisite design compared with most trolling motors mentioned. This trolling device delivers a prime travel time for greater efficiency.
6. Newport Vessels L-Series Saltwater Electric Trolling Motor
Best Boat in Speed Control
- EFFICIENT POWER: 62lb Thrust – this 12v electric trolling…
- FEATURES: This motor features a 40 inch shaft, a 10 LED…
- SPEED: Motor has 8 speeds, 5 forward & 3 reverse and is…
- Built using high-quality materials and components
- Large gearbox with synchronous gear reduction
- High torque output without increased power consumption
- Features revolutionary trolling motor
The Newport Vessels L-series Saltwater Electric Trolling Motor is a high-efficiency electric trolling motor with variable speed control.
It features the latest in technology, including an internal cooling fan that is highly efficient, and it has a long life of over 50 hours of total operation. This motor meets the requirements for any commercial fishing vessel.
Things to Consider When Buying a Trolling Motor
When choosing the best motors for bass boats, you need first to understand the performance level you are looking for.
There are many trolling motors available in the market of vessels and fishing gear, all of which have their own set of advantages. The right ones for your fishing boat should give you optimal performance.
It should be durable, lightweight, sturdy, and has several exciting features. The motor of choice should have a wide operating range and also be fully automated.
To get the most reliable ones in the market, you need to select one that fits your fishing style. Other factors to consider include:
Thrust generally refers to how powerful your motor is. You can find a new trolling motor in the market with an adequately designed hull that will give you the maximum amount of thrust possible.
It would be best if you had sufficient trolling motor thrust to keep up with the watercraft that you are using.
But, you should also not run the motor too hard as it might damage the propeller. The general rule of thumb is to have at least 2 pounds of thrust per 100 lbs. of fully-loaded boat weight.
If you’re a serious trolling motor user, you know that the voltage rating is a big deal. When charging your battery, you need to know what kind of voltage rating your new trolling motor has.
There are also trolling motors for bass that use batteries instead of gasoline or propane. The voltage configuration of the engine determines how fast it can travel and how much propulsion it can provide.
Bow Mount vs. Transom Mount
The two different kinds of mounts usually share commonalities, such as the fact that they are both attached to the boat using mounting hardware and use multiple screws.
There are, however, some subtle differences, but the two mount systems do look pretty much the same and function the same.
A trolling motor shaft is the portion of your driveshaft that passes through the front end of your motor. It can be replaced with a smaller, lighter one to increase the power and torque of your driveshaft.
Mounting Your Trolling Motor on a Bass Boat
There are numerous ways to mount your motor to your craft, from adding mounts to the bow and stern of your boat to installing the engine directly on the transom.
The transom mount trolling motor on a bass boat is designed for maximum speed and underwater fishing success. It should be positioned precisely so that the motor’s shaft does not run into the tip of the bow.
One of the best options that you have is to fit your motor through a unique transom mount. A transom mount is a customized welded or cast steel frame or mounting plate designed to securely install a trolling motor to the underside of a boat.
The central compartment on the transom mount allows the engine to be easily lifted by hand (often out of the water).
The trolling motor industry is still new but has already become quite sophisticated.
The quality trolling motors are becoming more affordable, which means they are becoming more widely used by enthusiasts.
Every avid angler now has a significant amount of choice when selecting the best engines for bass boats.
A high-performing model is what you need to get the most out of your fishing adventures. These powerful trolling motors enable you to cover large distances in a short amount of time.